It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

George Winston on ATS the Man and his Music

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
[pic]
[/pic]

Yes, I've heard it's true. George Winston will be an upcoming Guest on ATS Live, Out Of The Box Radio Show.

I've followed his career from his recording beginnings on Windham Hill Record label, to now owning his own label and producing other unique musicians. He has always left me amazed with his compositions and individual style.

The first time I saw George play was in a dorm building at Stanford University, Palo Alto Ca. He turned a noisy crowded party hall, into a mesmerized large group of new die hard fans. He has a way of doing that.

He is as complex and entertaining an artist as his music is. If you've been a fan of George Winston, you get to know him in a very personal way. This is one show not to be missed.

Some background info on George Winston to set the tone for you.

His website that includes videos and tour dates.

www.georgewinston.com...

A small snippet from his extensive wiki page that chronicles his extensive ongoing career in the music field.

When growing up, his interest in music was listening to instrumentals in the R&B, rock, pop, and jazz genres, especially by organists. After hearing The Doors in 1967, he was inspired to start playing the organ. In 1971, he switched to solo piano after hearing Thomas “Fats” Waller, Teddy Wilson, Earl Hines and Donald Lambert. Many of Winston’s melodic pieces are self-described as "rural folk piano" or "folk piano", a style he developed in 1971 to have an approach to complement the uptempo stride piano. These melodic pieces evoke the essence of a season and reflect natural landscapes. The third style he plays is New Orleans R&B piano, influenced mainly by Professor Longhair, Dr. John and Jon Cleary.

Winston also is known for his two tribute albums to jazz pianist Vince Guaraldi, composer for the first sixteen Peanuts animated films, who died suddenly in 1976.

In addition to his piano work, Winston plays blues harmonica, solo acoustic guitar (mainly Appalachian fiddle tunes) and Hawaiian slack-key guitar. Both his harmonica and guitar playing can be heard on his benefit album Remembrance - A Memorial Benefit, which was released shortly after 9/11. In 2006, he recorded another benefit album Gulf Coast Blues & Impressions: A Hurricane Relief Benefit, followed by Gulf Coast Blues & Impressions 2: A Louisiana Wetlands Benefit in 2012.

Winston also produces recordings of Hawaiian slack-key guitarists for his own record label, Dancing Cat Records, including artists Keola Beamer, Sonny Chillingworth, Leonard Kwan, and others. He is also working on recording cover versions of songs by Sam Hinton, Rick Epping and Curt Bouterse.en.wikipedia.org...

Some ear candy by George Winston.

The really exciting info here...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

And...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please share your favorite George Winston song with the rest of us!

Des

edit on 10-12-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
WOW! How are you OOtB folk getting all these scoops for us? You don't have to tell but please keep 'em coming and thank you!

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

Thank You Sweet GUT...some nice relaxing music for you.....

Des

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Thank you so much for the post and background material here Des. He's a truly talented man and a great person, judging by the time spent in the interview.

I hope folks take some time to tune into this upcoming show. It's a great one.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

You are welcome Wrabbit. I think even people who've not heard of George, or his music...will find something in his extensive recording career, that resonates with them. They are in for a real treat.

Des

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Oh Des, I'm so sorry to have missed this when it was happening!

I've loved George Winston since 1984, when I first heard "Sea". And, of course,
there hasn't been a single Christmas ever since without the sound of "December".
I'm especially fond of his rendition of "The Holly and the Ivy". It's so happy and uplifting.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

I wouldn't have any questions for him, only to say that I have loved his music for well over 25 years.

Wonderful piano composer he is.

hard to choose only one song, so many.

S & F

top topics

join