It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Chimpanzees Deserve Rights?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
www.cnn.com...

Interesting article about several courts rejecting to give captive chimps same rights as a legal person.

The Nonhuman Rights Project says it will continue to fight for the chimps.

I find it disgusting and barbaric these animals are captured, drugged and abused just for us humans.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by catfishjoe

No, barbaric would be not using animals to find cures and treatments for human health.

As I recall, barbarians historically never had an interest in treating human malady.

Animals can only posses the rights they respect for others. Which is to say, none.

Animals are a human responsibility and deserve compassion.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Well, they always try to take ours away, might as well give them to the monkeys..sock monkeys need to be able to have guns before we get ours taken away.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Of course they do, and it's too bad someone jumped and filed suit. I know that animal rights groups, especially The Great Apes Project, were waiting until the time was right for this.

Did this group take into account the jurisdiction, the history of the courts in the state, and the judges who will be deciding the case in an appeals process? Have to look into it more, but I'm wondering if an attorney and a person who wants to be recognized as a leader in the Animal Rights Movement may have thought "Let's go for it". Then again I may be wrong, and all the groups may have agreed to move forward (not enough information as yet).
edit on 10-12-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-12-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Non-human rights...

Lets start working on hammering out all the HUMAN rights abuses the world faces before we start fighting for flipper and Bubbles rights...

In a time when children are sold into sex slavery, where torture is common place, and hunger is rampant, it is the height of Ass hattery to even begin fighting the "animals have rights too" fight.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Sounds like a scene from the original Planet of the Apes series back in the 70s.

In all seriousness. I think they should be protected but not given 'Rights' yet?

Give them a few more million years

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Yes, I definitely believe that they should have the rights to vote. We need a more diffused voter base in this country and adding them to the pool would bring welcomed relief to many as it would raise the collective IQ. Heck, I would even let one take my place in the voting booth. I mean, how hard is it to punch a key to put a person in the most powerful seat in the world?

Oh, were you talking maybe about "human rights?" Well, there too I think we should grant them that esteemed privilege. They can be easily swayed with a banana or two and they are used to howling when they don't get what they want and their crap in their own cages. Excellent concept. After all, Diversity is the name of the game these days. Now what about hyenas?

But maybe you were talking about "animal rights?" no problem there. They are animals already. They don't even need a license to be one. So, let them all vote for I care, the whole show is one damned big circus anyway!

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
When chimps acknowledge my rights, I will acknowledge theirs.

2nd

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

beezzer

2nd

Well George Bush Jr showed us chimps dont so I guess you have your awnser

edit on 10-12-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

George Bush jr and Chimps mentioned in the same sentence.

That's an insult to Chimps

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

beezzer

2nd

When Chimps put you in a cage and torture you and your offspring for your entire lives or come into your neighbourhood and bulldoze your home then you can complain about them not acknowledging your rights

edit on 10/12/2013 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   

crazyewok

beezzer

2nd

Well George Bush Jr showed us chimps dont so I guess you have your awnser

And of the current chimp in the White House? Gets a pass, doesn't he. Gosh, how come?

link   
I hate it when people treat animals like humans

like when they say "my dog loves me"

really.......

and just how do you know that, did your dog tell you that?

or people who post these pictures online of "OMG look at them slaughtering that piggy, thats where your bacon comes from you filthy carnivore"....

so?

I like Bacon, if little piggy needs to die so i can eat so be it.

we start giving chimps rights, next we will be giving them out to piggys, who will have a "right to life and family" before you know it and then bye bye bacon.

The only rights animals should have is the right to not be unnecessarily harmed (ie, lets cut off this dogs' let for a laugh) and laws to protect them form becoming extinct. But by all means use them to test out new face cremes, use them to test chemical weapons, use them for medical testing and experimentation and by all means use them for dinner.

Animals and humans are not equal, they should only have rights that serve us and our needs and wants.

sorry to be so harsh but no, chimps should not have "rights"

edit on 10-12-2013 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by crazyewok

I was watching AminalPlanet and all I saw was screeching, screaming, flinging poo. . . . . oh wait, that was CSPAN.

Well animals are animals anyways. . . . .

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

IkNOwSTuff

beezzer

2nd

When Chimps put you in a cage and torture you and your offspring for your entire lives then you can complain about them not acknowledging your rights

You mean like chimps who are kept as pets and who eventually end up eating someones face off?

Or chimps in the wild, who will do the very same thing?

Should they then serve prison terms for those assaults?

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

IkNOwSTuff

beezzer

2nd

When Chimps put you in a cage and torture you and your offspring for your entire lives or come into your neighbourhood and bulldoze your home then you can complain about them not acknowledging your rights

edit on 10/12/2013 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

Then I will have to resort to flinging potty, thusly.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

benrl
Non-human rights...

Lets start working on hammering out all the HUMAN rights abuses the world faces before we start fighting for flipper and Bubbles rights...

In a time when children are sold into sex slavery, where torture is common place, and hunger is rampant, it is the height of Ass hattery to even begin fighting the "animals have rights too" fight.

Oh look the "Me first, you second" mentality. Talk about ass hattery. How about both simultaneously? Are we that inept of a species that we can't distribute respect and compassion to each other AND all creatures?

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   

TheWrightWing

And of the current chimp in the White House? Gets a pass, doesn't he. Gosh, how come?

Maybe Im being kind to chimps ?

Or maybe Im just cracking a joke as Bush was as dumb as a chimp and looks like one?

Not everything has to be about flippin Obama.

When did critising Bush make you a Obama supporter anyway?

Only a American can get all defensive over a light hearted simple joke........

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Have you ever read "the third chimpanzee" by jared diamond? It's in my top 10 of books 8n human history. For me personally.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Every living on this planet should be given the same and equal rights.

As much as we want to believe the human race shall rule over every other living beings just because we have 'intelligence', doesn't mean there is no consequences in doing so.

We have done so much harm to living creatures over the last couple of decades for the sake of progress, it will be a cold shower when we wake up from this nightmare and realize what we have done.

So yes, to answer your question, they should have the same equal rights to live freely as us.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join