It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bounty Program for Shot Down Drones.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
www.cnn.com...

Deer Trail Colorado is trying to pass an ordinance allowing citizens to shoot down drones. The ordinance specifies the types of weapons and ammo that can be used.

As for the bounty program? $25 for a fuselage and $100 for the whole drone.

Seems kinda cheap to me. No way this is gonna pass.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I say good for him, for even thinking about this, let alone trying to get that law past.

Does the Government have a federal law yet, about shooting them down? If not, I suspect it won't be long before they do.
You'll be charged with domestic terrorism, or some such BS.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Utterly stupid idea

been discussed before,

opens up a whole can of worms, you would end up having guys just taking pot shots at anything flying, could be a drone, could be a crow, might even by a plane (extreme i know).

Before you know it you will find stories of people being locked up for shooting at planes, you will have stories of people being injured because a drone smashed into a play ground or into a car over a freeway and cause a crash.

Besides such a law to allow this would never pass and anyone who starts shooting at drones for a reward will only end up in court for vandalism or using a gun in a threatening matter or causing death or whatever.

its a bad idea, and I am not the biggest fan of drones but that is not the way.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Id go a step farther and allow for FCC violations in order to use high energy targeted radio jamming on them.

That or somekind of microwave device to fry them, far safer than randomly shooting, But I am sure some hobbyist out there could come up with something...

If Iran can, I am sure some college kids with a pc and a local radio shack could work something up, How about it RF engineers out there?

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   

OtherSideOfTheCoin
Utterly stupid idea

been discussed before,

opens up a whole can of worms, you would end up having guys just taking pot shots at anything flying, could be a drone, could be a crow, might even by a plane (extreme i know).

Before you know it you will find stories of people being locked up for shooting at planes, you will have stories of people being injured because a drone smashed into a play ground or into a car over a freeway and cause a crash.

Besides such a law to allow this would never pass and anyone who starts shooting at drones for a reward will only end up in court for vandalism or using a gun in a threatening matter or causing death or whatever.

Most forms of Civil Disobedience can get you locked up... Its why its called Civil Disobedience...

Its why it works as a form of protest.

Its showing TPTB that you, as a citizen value the cause more than your liberty.

It means thats how much it matters to you.

Not saying this is the smartest form of it, just that the argument of "you might get in trouble" Is a rather stupid one to use against civil disobedience.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
A $25-$100 bounty...to shoot down an aircraft? Hmmm... Let me think about that for a moment while I read something..

An Olney man pleaded guilty Tuesday in Wichita Falls to charges of shooting an airplane.

Stephen Paul Riley, 41, appeared in federal court before U.S. District Judge Reed C. O’Connor, according to a release from the U.S. attorney’s office in Dallas.

Riley, who will remain on bond, faces a maximum penalty of 20 years in federal prison and a $250,000 fine, according to the release. Sentencing is set for May 21.
Source

Anyone know if the Feds even make a distinction between a manned and unmanned aircraft for ground fire directed at one? I'm thinking they may very well not distinguish the two for charges filed.

Heck.. The bounty won't even pay the 5 minute phone call to tell your attorney his services are required at the county jail...like, right this second. lol

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by catfishjoe

Do you see the comments ???

I give it a "WOW!" 5100+ ... (going viral?) !!!

I think it's illegal for anyone to fly under 300ft over any populated area.

Well, now I know where part of MY 100 dollars is being spent ... today.

I think the federal gov't is way overstepping its purpose ... to the point where I'm giving a higher interest in (and importance with) my state's leadership.

Good Grief !!!

edit on 10-12-2013 by FarleyWayne because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000

Heck.. The bounty won't even pay the 5 minute phone call to tell your attorney his services are required at the county jail...like, right this second. lol

That if you get a phone call, they will probably throw you in some dark hole for terrorism.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
A $25-$100 bounty...to shoot down an aircraft? Hmmm... Let me think about that for a moment while I read something..

An Olney man pleaded guilty Tuesday in Wichita Falls to charges of shooting an airplane.

Stephen Paul Riley, 41, appeared in federal court before U.S. District Judge Reed C. O’Connor, according to a release from the U.S. attorney’s office in Dallas.

Riley, who will remain on bond, faces a maximum penalty of 20 years in federal prison and a $250,000 fine, according to the release. Sentencing is set for May 21.
Source

Anyone know if the Feds even make a distinction between a manned and unmanned aircraft for ground fire directed at one? I'm thinking they may very well not distinguish the two for charges filed.

And at the time of the founding of the nation Rebelling against the king cost you your life...

Some times Wrabbit, tyranny is worth the cost of fighting it.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I wonder if it applies to blinding the drones with lasers too? Heck, if they are going to be looking into my yard, inside the fence, without a warrant, I better damned well be able to incapacitate that illegal flying machine.

ETA: I would like to put a large sign on my roof, only visible from above, stating, "If you can read this, I want to see your search warrant".

edit on 12/10/2013 by Krakatoa because: Added addendum thought.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Seriously, I mean get serious.
It has long been held (in the US anyway) that is not quite legal to shoot down an aircraft. Not so much that people may be involved in plummeting to earth, but because the air is not owned by the upset person down below firing the shots. (Except governments tend to view that situation differently if another country violates their airspace.)

Shooting a drone will be the willful destruction of another's property be it a personal drone or one of a vast assortment of agencies that are elbowing out each other at the drone-ordering counter. And you can guess who will be the likely owner of any drone buzzing you. They will want compensation or your hide, maybe both.

I'm sure that as a rule drones will fly higher than most long guns in the arsenals of the US civilian population can reach. So in some ways, the possibility of a bullet taking one down is slim to none.
Don't forget, the whole premise of that thing being up there is to spy on you. You think you can hide as you shoot it down? Watch some of the infrared targeting done in warfare to get an idea of how, when the hunter becomes the hunted, the newly hunted (drone) fires back or relays back to HQ images and exact coordinates'.

I fully understand the anger against drones, and while half a red-neck myself, to be contemplating shooting down drones and even it being made legal in some areas is about like us good 'ol boys in the old days talking about outrunning the local law's radios with our hotrods. --It ain't gonna happen.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I see a reality show in the future. "Drone Patrol"®©™. Four or five bearded guys with high power rifles. Yep. Count on it.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

catfishjoe
I see a reality show in the future. "Drone Patrol"®©™. Four or five bearded guys with high power rifles. Yep. Count on it.

Or, "Drone Hunters"....with night vision glasses...on the "History Channel".

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
A zombie apocalypse is looking more and more like the better option for our future.. and thats some crap. Beats a totalitarian regime I guess. At least zombies wont drone you.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Krakatoa

catfishjoe

Or, "Drone Hunters"....with night vision glasses...on the "History Channel".

You might want to trademark that.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   

LOL !!!

You should see how some hunters get excited about shooting at Prairie Dogs ... with 50 cals !?!?!

Gawd Knows what they would do if they saw something bigger.

That same day I saw this, a major electrical line was sliced in two. I suspect one of the hunters saw a bird landing on it ... but missed the bird. The line was repaired within a couple of hours ... No one got to upset about it BUT I doubt that group of hunters will be back.

Regardless, IN NO WAY ... am I against rightfully owning guns.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

Can I ask you this?
What about the police ones, with cameras? That don't fly very high?
Do they have the right, to fly one over your property, just to see what you may be up to? Or if you have something on your property that may be illegal?

It is bad enough that we have helicopters doing that now.
But if I saw, some little unmanned flying machine, flying over my property? It's not going to make it back to it's owner.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Let's take it a step further......what kind of gun? .223? .308?

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I think if farmer Brown shoots down a drone he might not see the light of day again.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

OtherSideOfTheCoin
Utterly stupid idea

been discussed before,

I can see some person getting hit by a stray bullet and dying. Its happened.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join