It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cold Fusion Research in Japan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Japan CF Research Society Meeting Abstract from Dec 7:
jcfrs.org...

The Japanese have been quite open minded about the whole cold fusion business (F&P have been sponsored by Toyota for some years). Nice to see them still being into it.

The main focus seems to be on anomalous heat and transmutation with nickel and palladium composites.

On the theoretical front the ideas are too look at multineutron capture, nuclei(deuterons) clusters and harmonic ion traps.

Speculation:
It seems to go with the observations of nanocavities(cracks) of a specific size being a requirement for anomalous heat effects. So maybe it is indeed some kind of ion trap resonance effect making nuclear reactions possible.

Any condensed matter nuclear physics experts out there to comment on this?

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by moebius

Haven't they done enough harm already?

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by EA006

Harm? No idea what you mean.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by moebius

Amazing stuff if it works, I really feel a breakthrough is right around the corner, clean free (ish) energy is what we really need at the moment.
S&F.

Oh and I started reading the link but my mind broke

edit on 10-12-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by moebius

Fukushima.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by EA006

Cold fusion is as safe as you can get.
If made we could have a reactor in each of our homes.

www.coldfusiontechnology.net...

www.infinite-energy.com...

ecatinfo.com...

This would be the Holy Grail of energy production.

Fission (what we use now) and Fusion are different.
edit on 10-12-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I mean purely form the fact that something could go wrong. I get the theory.
I think we should stop messing around with nuclear tech for a few years.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   

EA006
reply to post by moebius

Fukushima.

Wrong technology! IF and it's a big if, there really is something in these LENR reactions then it won't be dirty like fission and fusion.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by yorkshirelad

No radio-active by-products?....

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   

EA006

No radio-active by-products?....

Not in the sense of a fission reactor NO!

You need to learn the difference between a Fission reaction and Fusion. There is a HUGE difference.

This is the problem with hippies there ignorant stance on everything nuclear has caused so many misunderstandings and ignorant fear among the uneducated and uninformed masses.

edit on 10-12-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by EA006

Yes but very manageable, The waste would be very small (micro grammes) from each home reactor and because it is different from what we use now the waste would be as radioactive as coal dust in 300 years.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I've been following the whole nuclear fusion reactor and cold fusion thing for years. In the beginning cold fusion was a bit of a joke in the scientific community. But a few decades have passed.

I've read quite a bit about cold fusion experiments in New Scientist and try to keep up with the latest developments.
There appears to be some reactions taking place in some experiments and there is unaccounted for energy which could be the result of nuclear fusion reactions.

The material in the OP is familiar and it appears there is some anomalous heat energy release going on but more work needs to be done and the effects are not yet fully understood.

It could be cold nuclear fusion reactions or something else not yet understood but there definitely seems to be something going on. Amazing stuff.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
My understanding is that success in achieving a 'cold fusion' reaction is determined by the neutron radiation radiation it produces. IE a large very active 'reactor' will produce a significant amount of neutrons (low energy at least) which wouldn't be good for anyone in the immediate vicinity for any length of time without a significant amount of high density shielding.

Of course I could be wrong - it happens

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Pilgrum
My understanding is that success in achieving a 'cold fusion' reaction is determined by the neutron radiation radiation it produces. IE a large very active 'reactor' will produce a significant amount of neutrons (low energy at least) which wouldn't be good for anyone in the immediate vicinity for any length of time without a significant amount of high density shielding.

Of course I could be wrong - it happens

Yes but the reactor wont explode and cause fallout like a fission reactor. Once the reaction stops the radiation stops. Ok you dont want to stand inside a reactor for a long while after it stops but you wont get a meltdown situation.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   

This is the problem with hippies there ignorant stance on everything nuclear has caused so many misunderstandings and ignorant fear among the uneducated and uninformed masses.

Their ignorant stance.

Also, most of their fears are well founded.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I agree, the report is somewhat dense. Not intended for general public, he-he. I've tried to extract a few consumable bits, not sure if it worked.

In general it shows that there are professionals looking into it on experimental and theoretical level. Which is a good thing, even if it would turn out to be non exploitable on technical or commercial level. At least we would know what the hell is going on there.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by EA006

The term "Nuclear" you are throwing around, does not mean what you think.

Fission is what you are thinking of mate, fission has all the grand potential for harm that we witness.

FUSION, is an entirely different process. There is no "meltdown," like in a fission reactor.

Fissile material, is rapidly decaying over time, releasing it's energy. We harvest this energy in the form of heat, to produce steam, and in turn produce electricity. If you lose control of fissile material it over heats releasing tons of radiation, and melts down.

Fusion requires a very specific environment to take place, the materials involved are not like fissile materials.

In fusion you turn a lighter element into a heavier stable element.

Fission, you turn a heavier unstable element, into a slightly lighter still unstable element. Fissile materials constantly want to break down.

Fusion materials want to stay as they are.

If a fusion reactor has an accident, there is no long term risk of decay releasing poisonous radiation.

This is a very simplistic break down.

The number one issue with fusion based reactors is creating and maintaining the conditions required for the reaction to take place. Most instances of fusion are a one time go, materials fuse, some energy is released and it stops. At the current time this type of reaction does not produce enough useable energy for a fuel source, how ever if this reaction can be maintained it produces more energy than our current " nuclear" plants with out the risk of dangerous radiation spillage.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Hi cold-reactor fans.

It is like "superconductivity " ! It's HARD to get it to work
in rather "normal" physical conditions, mostly temperature !
[ Maybe an "alloy" could do it for us ? ]

So, I HOPE that, for cold fusion, "they" will always work HARD to
make it work, and mayby, maybe one day, we WILL have
superconductivity AND cold fusion working economicaly AND
ecologicaly for us !!

Blue skies.

top topics

join