It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago Bar goes too far?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Wanted to get ATS take on this story that has received national attention, from my neck of the woods, now for their drink specials on Pearl Harbor day. Murphy's Bleachers, located in the Wrigleyville neighborhood of Chicago, decided to post drink specials on December 7th, 2013. Drink specials are common with all bars today, you can walk into any bar on any given day and likely see a special... Anyways, the reason why Murphy's is taking heat today is because they decided to have "bombs" and "kamikaze" shots drink specials...

Is that clever marketing or totally inappropriate? Do we live in a too sensitive world today or is the reaction we're seeing perfect? I was curious to get others take on this story as it just happened yesterday. Pearl Harbor happened over 72 years ago, is this just another example of using something "too soon" or will the "right" time never happen?

Below is the picture from the drink board. Let me know what you think?

Huff Post

Mods- ran a search, didn't find this story, please 86 if already on ATS.
edit on 8-12-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Personally I find this offensive and in very bad taste. However, it is protected by their 1st Amendment Rights here in the United States of America. That amendment to our constitution serves to protect the right to express unpopular speech. Whether I think it was an insensitive and whoafully ignorant decision on their part does not mean I should be one to attempt to stifle it at all.

We are free to be asses if we wish I guess.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

The owner is a insensitive prick, but their customers are drunks and alcoholics mind you.

Most wont care, for those it bothers just keep it out of sight out of mind, they have the right
to express their advertising.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Krakatoa

I wonder what type of reaction they expected to get? If they were looking for attention, good or bad, they succeeded there, but I don't see how they expected this would go well for them... I'm not as offended as you are, but I do think people are idiots when they do stuff like this, because I understand that we live in a very PC world today...

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   

jhn7537

I wonder what type of reaction they expected to get? If they were looking for attention, good or bad, they succeeded there, but I don't see how they expected this would go well for them... I'm not as offended as you are, but I do think people are idiots when they do stuff like this, because I understand that we live in a very PC world today...

I may be more sensitive to it than most, as I had an uncle stationed in the U.S. Navy there at the time.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Of course, that makes sense. And I didn't mean sensitive as a dig to you, I'm just trying to explain how I am towards most stories because I do believe we live in a very PC world today, but with this story, I totally understand why Murphy's is receiving the treatment they're getting...

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   

jhn7537

Of course, that makes sense. And I didn't mean sensitive as a dig to you, I'm just trying to explain how I am towards most stories because I do believe we live in a very PC world today, but with this story, I totally understand why Murphy's is receiving the treatment they're getting...

No worries dude, I didn't take it that way at all. I just thought it proper to explain my personal sensitivity and my earlier post. As I said, I may vehemently disagree with their idea, but, I'll be damned if I stomp on my my uncle's sacrifice, and nullify it by not understanding that the constitution that he died protecting, also protects these Neanderthals.

edit on 12/8/2013 by Krakatoa because: Fixed spelling and other fat-finger errors

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I don't think it's in good taste, but it's a bar. Not exactly a hub of good taste. Plus "bombs" and "kamikazes" are regular drinks at any bar every day of the year. I don't think it's that big of a deal.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I'm of two minds about this:

On the one hand, it is probably in pretty bad taste, given everything that happened at Pearl Harbor and the consequences thereof.

On the other hand, it's a catchy little sign that, in all honesty, isn't meant to be degrading or offensive, just a clever play on words. It's really quite sacrilegious, but it doesn't look like its meant in a disrespectful way.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   

AnIntellectualRedneck
I'm of two minds about this:

On the one hand, it is probably in pretty bad taste, given everything that happened at Pearl Harbor and the consequences thereof.

On the other hand, it's a catchy little sign that, in all honesty, isn't meant to be degrading or offensive, just a clever play on words. It's really quite sacrilegious, but it doesn't look like its meant in a disrespectful way.

Yea, I can go both ways with this.. On one side, I can see why people would be upset. But on the other, I do find it catchy (from a marketing perspective). I also understand that the first side I mentioned will far outweigh the latter...

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I just hope they stick to the true spirit of the day and give the bombs and kamikazes away for free like the Japanese did.

Ughhh.... Poor taste? too soon?

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   

IkNOwSTuff
I just hope they stick to the true spirit of the day and give the bombs and kamikazes away for free like the Japanese did.

well played, lol...

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   

IkNOwSTuff

As long as 4 months from now, on April 18th, people can drive by their establishment and toss bottles through their windows (a.k.a Doolittle Raid on Tokyo).

DISCLAIMER: I would like to state I in no way condone vandalizing this establishment in any way what-so-ever. This post is a sarcastic remark meant in jest.

edit on 12/8/2013 by Krakatoa because: Fixed spelling and other fat-finger errors

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
...........and the ABSOLUTELY most Politically incorrect idiot of the year goes to....THAT Guy!

Let's give that a round of applause. I mean, it takes real guts and a level of dumb rarely seen in the wild to come up with something that offensive on a sign meant to advertise a service based business.

If cute was his target, he missed by about as much as the Japanese High Command thinking Pearl knocked the US out of the war. ...biiiig judgement issue. Oops.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

i personally don't care one way or the other.

and at most, if i were convinced to care, would think the owner might want to just not do it again.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
yeah how dare we not remain mad. the plan isnt going to work if we just turn the other cheek and move on.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
...........and the ABSOLUTELY most Politically incorrect idiot of the year goes to....THAT Guy!

Let's give that a round of applause. I mean, it takes real guts and a level of dumb rarely seen in the wild to come up with something that offensive on a sign meant to advertise a service based business.

If cute was his target, he missed by about as much as the Japanese High Command thinking Pearl knocked the US out of the war. ...biiiig judgement issue. Oops.

Wrabbit- I don't own my own business, but if I did, I probably wouldn't post a sign like that, especially knowing that you're service based and need clients to walk in to be able to make ends-meet...

I could see him planning this all out..

Bar owner thinking to himself "I don't see how this could go wrong. This is clever. Ok, time to put it up"

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   
At least the owner didn't deflect this incident to the staff.......

Like Page
Murphy's Bleachers
Arts & Entertainment · 4,966 Likes
We couldn't be more embarrassed and ashamed by the actions of our staff this morning. The sign has been removed and we cannot start apologizing enough for the thoughtless disregard for decency.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I wonder if you get a special on 9 one one as well? shoot a binladin and get a second free? That would be a promo that any patriot would love!

Bin Laden recipe
rating
65 votes

According to the contributor, Bin Laden can be found in Wollongong, Australia.

Scale ingredients to servings
1/3 oz Johnnie Walker® Scotch whisky
1/3 oz Bundaberg® dark rum
1/3 oz Smirnoff® vodka

edit on 9-12-2013 by spartacus699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Bisman
yeah how dare we not remain mad. the plan isnt going to work if we just turn the other cheek and move on.

It has nothing to do with being mad at all....but everything to do with respecting those that lost their lives that fateful day. I guess respect is a thing that some folks just don't understand, shame really.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join