It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why is that stranger staring at me for no reason

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Advantage
I wonder how many people Ive made uncomfortable when I have NOT intended to.Maybe I should keep these things in mind. Hell, maybe we ALL should.

If we all did that it would be very "uninteresting" around here.
Apart from the odd E-Tumbleweed. Or E-Ghost.

Its our differences that makes the world an interesting place, and thats reflected on this site perfectly.

Keep spouting...EVERYBODY!!
But we shouldnt take life so seriously sometimes.
Remember, as Bill Hicks said.."Its just a ride".

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   

OneManArmy

Advantage
I wonder how many people Ive made uncomfortable when I have NOT intended to.Maybe I should keep these things in mind. Hell, maybe we ALL should.

If we all did that it would be very "uninteresting" around here.
Apart from the odd E-Tumbleweed. Or E-Ghost.

Its our differences that makes the world an interesting place, and thats reflected on this site perfectly.

Keep spouting...EVERYBODY!!
But we shouldnt take life so seriously sometimes.
]

Oh Im not talking about changing.. cant change this anyway. Its there or not. I mean, it wouldnt kill us to be a little more mindful of the silly feelings of fellow meatsacks.. regardless of how silly they are. I know very well I can be overwhelming to some folks, the thread made me think again to be mindful of it. A little courtesy never killed anyone, either!

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Advantage
A little courtesy never killed anyone, either!

Indeed.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I think tis time to shut the door on this case. He's mental. Wrap him up and tie his hands behind us back and lock him up in a maximum security room and throw away the key. Either that or give him a lobotomy.

More seriously, I don't think we should automatically assume someone is paranoid or nuts if they bring up something like this. Perhaps they're they're crazy, but it helps to have an open mind at first. I never assume there's no such thing as witches or goblins or ghosts or people with esp or werewolves. All I ask for is evidence. I need evidence before I can conclude someone is crazy.

I think people with esp would be real cool. And satan manifested as a person in strange clothes at midnight watching cars pass by would be cool too. That's a lot more fun than the conventional view of things which eliminates the unknown.

Which is to say I'm always on the lookout for aliens and supernatural things and zombies and time travelers and so on. I don't want mayhem or people getting hurt or killed, but I do want an interesting world to live in. I certainly don't want to live in the conventional world which to me is so nondescript and academic and extra cautious. If the conventional perspective on things were a movie, I'd be asleep.

This is why I always like to read science THEORY or speculation as opposed to science things which are nailed shut and classified as facts. I love science, but science can be so inclined to define things it ends up discarding anything unknown by defining it.
edit on 9-12-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by razor1000

I just glanced over the last FEW pages and I understand your frustration here, but perhaps I can offer another view. Just judging from the responses of most people, they personally haven't experienced what you were explaining but were intrigued none-the-less, and felt like they just... HAD to... say.. something!!! I know about this all-too-well, being 6'3" since I was in high-school and people always commenting "uhhh.. you're like really tall".. I mean, that really adds no new information to anyone, and just gets frustrating as hell to take in good stride..

BUT! as for people who stare..

I have at least noticed them since I was about 15 (when I was also going through a bit of a "punk rock phase", so the spikes and crazy hair mighta had something to do with it haha..) but over the last few years i think that it has become much more apparent and, while i would not consider myself paranoid in most areas, i have gotten a bit unnerved when people will be in a conversation on the street, but somehow have the impulse to look up and lock eyes with me for the duration of me walking by..
again, yes i am very tall, i tend to wear long coats and a Russian hat for the sake of warmth, and my only logical explanation is their fear that i'm some mad rapist hobo, but i digress..

It almost always seems to happen when I'm in a more natural place like a park or in the small town that i live in, but I honestly can't entirely buy "coincidence" and "paranoia" as being the sole explanations here. The human awareness system picks-up more signals than our conscious mind cares to acknowledge and i think that there may some deeper levels at work here (though obviously i'm not rich with explanations haha)

HOWEVER, I would also like to ask about the opposite phenomenon: I notice that when I'M walking around a city or even driving, i often look at the faces of just about everyone who i notice.. this is hardly even a conscious thing, but stems from a people-watching hobby that I've had since childhood haha. but what i notice, is that no one seems to do the same..? like they were living their life looking through a funnel and everything else has been deemed negligible..

but i dunno.. sorry the not-so-articulate response, but I wanted you to know that someone is actually interested in discussing the phenomenon rather than the way you present it..

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
If you are constantly looking around to see if people are staring at you, you will find some. It means nothing. If you constantly look around to find people picking their nose guess what? You'll see it. Are more people picking their nose than usual? No, you are just alerted and looking for it. Same with the staring.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

haha this is a common rebuttal to anyone who says that they notice subtle anomalies of any kind (without BLATANT video evidence of some kind haha) but here's what's funny:

I've done experiments in really TRYING to see (notice) certain types of people. I literally have looked for people picking their noses in traffic and to this day, I've probably only noticed about.. 5?

You are correct in saying that people WILL see what they want to see in most (if not all) circumstances (I think that the whole 11:11 phenomenon could be used as an excellent example of this, though it does converge with the other view of Synchronicity rather than Coincidence..) but that also doesn't mean what they are seeing isn't real..

If I started looking for those nose-pickers and actually saw them then i don't see why a thread on rampant nose-picking would be any less valid?

Scientists want to find answers to their questions, just like occultists. When they find apparent "answers", more refined questions can be asked.. One doesn't have to know anything "for certain" before inquiring..

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by HyphenSt1

It's common because it's true. And it's common sense. You will notice what you are looking for. Ask me at the end of the day how many people I saw wearing the color red. Chances are I might have seen four or five? Maybe none? Then the next day look for anyone wearing red. You'll see way more than four or five. Are more people wearing red that day than normal? Nope.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

I hear you bro. It is a new phenomena of a rude culture. I do stand out, I am big , with white hair, and the staring has accelerated in the recent years. People just standing there, gawking. At first I was enraged and would be confrontational, after realizing that my ego was interfering and my understanding was narrow. Now, I have learned to deal with it, and it is getting worse. I came from a family rooted in deep, traditional manners, staring was a major faux pas in mi familia. The big dude walked out of store last year and ended up slamming the door in my wife's face. I was so furious.....

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by OneManArmy

Mate, that was good.

You should keep at it.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

EA006

Mate, that was good.

You should keep at it.

Im not even at it in the first place, I make music, Im not a rapper. Just thought it would be fun.

Thanks!!

wtbengineer

That was really good!

And thanks to you too.
edit on 201312America/Chicago12pm12pmTue, 10 Dec 2013 13:44:32 -06001213 by OneManArmy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   

I don't know if this is good advice or bad advice. Some may call it unfriendly. But for what it's worth, I don't make eye contact with anyone at all in public and I suggest you do the same. I personally can't stand people staring at me. It has irritated me for as long as I can remember. I also NEVER look at the car next to me at stoplights. I have been harassed for this, meaning people have driven right next to me at the same speed for miles waiting for me to look at them so that they can gesture or yell or whatever the hell they are wanting to do, but they never get to do it because I will throw on my brakes or turn just to get them to stop looking at me.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthLover557

yeah i dont go around looking at people man normally i try to dive in and out of the mall when i go shopping there. in fact i try to avoid dealing with people because i do too much of that at work.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   

razor1000
reply to post by boymonkey74

its not everyday and when they stare i feel like i can sense them being startled by my presence.

Outta box but maybe they are authorized EA*RTH visitors studying you... Interesting OP.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   

I don't think it's ESP you are experiencing (IMHO) just normal perception. Unconscious perception but normal perception non the less.

The eyes of a stranger can be a thing of beauty or a scary experience, it all depends on how you see yourself and others.

Just some random quotes from posters above me:

my only logical explanation is their fear that i'm some mad rapist hobo

I do stand out, I am big , with white hair

I personally can't stand people staring at me. It has irritated me for as long as I can remember.

If you think people see you as a "mad rapist hobo", that you stand out or are irritated, people will read this in your eyes. In return you will read in their eyes what they read in yours.

If you look at the world with a negative self image hell actually is other people (Jean-Paul Sartre)

But it's not just the self image. It's also how you see other people. When you look into another’s eyes, do you notice yourself judging them or simply being with them? Do you tend to put people in a box or look at them with open curiosity, spaciousness, and availability to be contacted?

In your case, you look at people with a suspicion that there is something strange going on..

maybe some of these people are not normal either because when i look at them i feel like there is something else looking back at me.

guess what.....people you stare at will get the impression something is wrong with them and in return will look at you to see if they can find why you are seeing something different about them. It makes them insecure, angry, sad etc...

Try looking at other people in a more open way. Don't judge yourself or them. Just be. Marvel over the beauty of life and the variety of it. Look at people as if you sincerly love them, like being with them in that place and time and letting them in.

I guarantee that your experience will be a lot more positive. At least that is how I experience it...

Peace
edit on 30-3-2014 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I've had something similar happen a few times.

Someone perfectly normal can stop what they're doing, freeze in place (as if stunned) and look at me like they see something else.... Like I'm a demon or an angel or something.

Now, I don't look evil, I don't dress weird, I'm not difformed, and I'm not -that- handsome to deserve these overwhelming stares.

I usually just smile and walk away. But they keep staring in awe....

One old man was the bagger at publix, and he just could not take his eyes off me.... Was a little uncomfortable since I couldn't walk away, I was 4th in line. Stared at me thru all 3 customers...

Wheny turn came up he started talking to me about god and Jesus with a sparkle in his eyes... He didn't do that with the other 3 customers.... And he kept staring at me as i walked out.

I don't know what it is... Or what they see.

Some look like in a blissful state, others just in disbelief.... Weird.

Oh well.

(I swear I don't dress provocatively... Or religiously, I'm not religious at all at this point in my life).

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by HyphenSt1

ding ding ding !

HOWEVER, I would also like to ask about the opposite phenomenon: I notice that when I'M walking around a city or even driving, i often look at the faces of just about everyone who i notice.. this is hardly even a conscious thing, but stems from a people-watching hobby that I've had since childhood haha. but what i notice, is that no one seems to do the same..? like they were living their life looking through a funnel and everything else has been deemed negligible..

I've thought about this very concept alot ! I am a people watcher/observer too. Sorry... hope that doesn't come across as weird and all that... It is a good way to learn about mannerisms/behaviors and how people act/react so on so forth. Nothing harmful and I try not to stare or come across as creepy or a weirdo. It's completely innocent.

It's interesting that you've thought the same thing... Guess they are so wrapped up in their own life/situation that they are oblivious to everything and everyone else around them. It's fun to watch in this fashion and to think about on this level !

It's just something you do... and think about. You are just more observant of "people" is all. Might be a good trait to have if you were a profiler. I don't know what else it's good for except for your own personal entertainment... or way to kill time when bored.

leolady

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Hi razor1k !

It could be you look like somebody else, and those who stare
have a "deja vu" (déjà vu) feeling ?

Blue skies.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join