It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What has NASA been doing while all Eyes were on ISON...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Works out to 73,155.3774 metric tons per day from ISON leaves as "dust",

Chelyabinsk, Russia asteroid, the approximate effective diameter of the asteroid is estimated to be about 18 meters (about 19.7 yards), and its mass about 11,000 metric tons.

Equivalent to 66.5 of Chelyabinsk sized asteroids every day in mass leaving ISON.

Now, we all know that ISON has fractured and has changed from a rifle round to a shotgun blast. So forget all the calculations above, they are only for scale reference, we are talking about heavies now. Projected date of ISON passing over Earth was Dec 28 at about 41 million miles away. That was before the comet fractured into fragments. The path of the debris field is spreading out and will reach 75 million miles from its originally projected path.

Official size estimates of ISON are like 8 kilometers max. Yet ISON had a coma that was equal to 4 Earths across as it approached the sun. BPEarthWatch estimated the size of ISON could be 20,000 kilometers across, more than double the size of Earth. NASA has proven that they cannot be trusted to provide any valid assessment of this situation, which leads to speculation within the online community from those of us that are following this "comet" that they are hiding something. From the video of the interaction with the planet Mars that was never released, due to gov shutdown(my ass), to the missing three hours of ISONS direct dive into the sun here recently around thanksgiving.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

That's not NASA Cheesy. I wouldn't doubt though that NASA should open its Gub and say something, instead of the distraction of telling us about what the departing part of Ison is doing now.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   

cheesy

BPEarthWatch

Cheesy, that guy is no good. He isn't telling the truth, he is only trying to get more views for his videos so that he can make more money from his Google Ad-Sense account on Youtube.

I have researched a lot of what he says and almost all of it is nonsense.

ISON isn't changing course. It is not larger than reported. The debris field is not going to spread to 75,000,000 miles from it's course. The part of the debris stream that we pass through, isn't even the same part of the stream where the fragments are. The fragments will follow their parent body's projected orbit, and their closest pass will be 40,000,000 miles away.... way above the ecliptic.

Don't fall for his dramatics, Cheesy, there is no need to worry.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
one of two things.
they Dont wont us to see whats their.
or they spent the money on some thing else!

remember when Hubble first went up?
they said it fails! because of the mirror?

may be they just send Junk into space.
and give us photos from earth!

how can normal people get better pics.
than telescopes in SPACE!!!

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

"where the fragments are"

how can there be fragment now?"

your definition of fragment,, please.

remember a frag aint called a frag for nothing,, so lets use ,,"slivers of frozen carbon",, just a suggestion.

which is what "they" are,.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Char-Lee
reply to post by VoidHawk

astroengineer.wordpress.com...-47

If you have not read this, you may find it interesting.

Wow!! Thank you for that link.
I read the entire post and all the way through I was expecting to find a hole in his story, but I couldn't find one!
The only thing that I found odd was the idea that the ftl transmissions would cause problems. I may be wrong, but I dont see it that way.
Imagine you press a button and it sends a beep from mars to earth. It takes 20 minutes to get to earth at normal speed.
Do the same with the ftl tech and its received instantly.
Now repeat the entire process but press the button two times. At normal speed we wait 20 minutes and then we hear two beeps. With the ftl tech we hear the two beeps the moment the button is pressed.
I just dont grasp why they seemed bothered by it, maybe I misunderstood that part.
But fantastic read, if its all bs the man should take up scifi writing because everything else he said was spot on and couldn't be faulted.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   

BobAthome

"where the fragments are"

how can there be fragment now?"

your definition of fragment,, please.

remember a frag aint called a frag for nothing,, so lets use ,,"slivers of frozen carbon",, just a suggestion.

which is what "they" are,.

I was just using the terms in the text, there, Bob. The quoted portion of the text, in the post I was replying to, referred to what's left of ISON as fragments.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

boncho
reply to post by VoidHawk

Irrelevant when it concerns the camera's, in fact each year camera's get smaller yet more powerful so it would have been a minor adjustment to fit the latest tech.

MysterX
reply to post by TheDon

What do you expect mate, NASA decided to build a rover to wander around a crater on Mars costing $3.5 Billion...and apparently decided to equip the most expensive Matian rover in the history of Humanity with....2 megapixel CCDs.

Yep...2 meg imaging chips...on a $3.5 Billion mission.

And the reason for equipping the thing with such a pathetic, whimpy, little gnat of a CCD series given by one of the NASA imaging team?

I have a 16MP camera. For raw images that's anywhere from 16-24MB in size. *

The data rate direct-to-Earth varies from about 12,000 bits per second to 3,500 bits per second (roughly a third as fast as a standard home modem). The data rate to the orbiters is a constant 128,000 bits per second (4 times faster than a home modem). An orbiter passes over the rover and is in the vicinity of the sky to communicate with the rovers for about eight minutes at a time, per sol. In that time, about 60 megabits of data (about 1/100 of a CD) can be transmitted to an orbiter. That same 60 megabits would take between 1.5 and 5 hours to transmit direct to Earth. The rovers can only transmit direct-to-Earth for at most three hours a day due to power and thermal limitations, even though Earth may be in view much longer.

marsrover.nasa.gov...

So if my camera was on mars, it would only take them a full day to send one or two pictures. Woo. I bet you would be cheering up NASA even more if they were only able to send one photo a day.

Keep in mind, down time, imaging problems, etc.

At the end of October 2013, the rover Curiosity-lab is present on Mars for more than 440 days. At that time, thousands of photos of the Red Planet have been published

edit on 8-12-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

Thats assuming we believe the slow data rates they claim, personally I dont. I would expect them to be using highly compressed packet bursts at frequencies in the hundreds of ghz. With todays tech it would be more economical on power consumption too. The data rates you/they are expecting us to believe are what we would expect from 60's tech.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Sory for that Ms daryllyn, i dont know if BPearth Is somekind of Liar, tq for enlight me

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Oh some of you get off of it. I swear.. freaking annoying sometimes.

It doesnt matter how much I know or how old I am.. or get.. I will NEVER look at these things with anything other than naked childlike wonder. These are some of the most amazing times in our lives and we get to witness a visitor coming through. I dont even "love" astronomy and feel a bubbly thing in my belly when I realize the vastness of space and our fortune at even seeing this much of Ison. I can only think to thank NASA for sharing the data with us...

Comet ISON in the most recent good resolution image taken by NASA’s STEREO-A probe late on Dec. 3. I’ve processed the photo to better show the comet, which has now become a faint, expanding cloud of dust and small rocks. Credit: NASA - See more at: astrobob.areavoices.com...

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   

cheesy

Sory for that Ms daryllyn, i dont know if BPearth Is somekind of Liar, tq for enlight me

Sir, I hate to see a good soul like you, get taken by that guy's lies and fear mongering. His stuff gets picked up by other youtubers, so you really have to watch what they say and try to find other sources to verify. There is no doom, at least not this time around

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   

daryllyn

cheesy

Sir, I hate to see a good soul like you, get taken by that guy's lies and fear mongering. His stuff gets picked up by other youtubers, so you really have to watch what they say and try to find other sources to verify. There is no doom, at least not this time around

Tqx Ms daryllyn, tq for the advise..i search about Ison Update and find this word from Mr.Battams from nasa to CNN
He say a smaller version of Ison!

The agency said it will use space telescopes to monitor ISON for the next several weeks because it's possible that dust is hiding a new, smaller version of it.

edition.cnn.com...

hope he just kidding..

edit on 8-12-2013 by cheesy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Kudos Cheesy. You are just like ISON. More than meets the Eye.
edit on 9-12-2013 by hurdygurdy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

I wasn't taking about equipment I was talking about claims that you made of what you can see any time you want, remember!!!!

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Lol, I think you're picking up what I'm laying down. I bookmarked your link, thank you !

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 02:03 AM
link   

TheDon
Makes you wonder with all that money up there why we dont have allot better quality photos.

As the saying goes "A picture is worth a thousand words"

Peace

Well, let's look at that picture of those spacecraft. solarsystem.nasa.gov...

Many of them take images in wavelengths outside the visible spectrum (such as infrared, UV and X-rays). Images like that don't always look pretty, but offer valuable science. For example, here's Spitzer's infrared images: www.spitzer.caltech.edu... Not impressive, but gives the idea of ISON's dust tail and the neutral gas atmosphere around the nucleus.

Another few things to keep in mind is that:
1) some of the cameras failed to detect ISON (for whatever technical reasons).
2) many of the successfull observations were done in early to mid 2013, while the comet was still hundreds of millions of miles from the Sun, and thus looking small and faint.
3) some of the cameras are well suited to their task, such as photographing a planet's surface, but will struggle with something as faint and as remote as ISON. Hence the dark noisy images where ISON is just a blob of light.
4) some of those spacecraft were made over a decade ago.
edit on 9-12-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by hurdygurdy

Indeed.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

No one stated that ISON was Nibiru even though some did claim after it formed Wings now as i far i know Comets cant form wings at least in some cases.

Others suggested that ISON was an Spacecraft now that could make sense.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Agent_USA_Supporter
reply to post by boncho

No one stated that ISON was Nibiru even though some did claim after it formed Wings now as i far i know Comets cant form wings at least in some cases.

There was a date for Nibiru, and for months people claimed it was beside the sun or nearby.

Elenin is Nibiru *********

Comet Ison brings the end times ***

Yes, admittedly the Niburu claims dropped off by the time Ison came, but that wasn't my point. My point was that the major debunker to past claims of comets being Nibiru, or that there was a brown dwarf, was that there are thousands of amateur astronomers out there. And NASA can't cover up the entire night sky. So my point, was that I found it ironic, amateur astronomers are being used in this thread to now say proof NASA is lying. When in fact, they actually offered very substantial evidence for the opposite in the past.

Others suggested that ISON was an Spacecraft now that could make sense.

In what sense?
edit on 9-12-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join