It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

YF 23 - going to be used?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   
i might be wrong , but i think i read on here , that the YF 23 might be used as a basis for a new aircraft type - is that correct?

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   
No, I don't think so. YF-23 lost to the f-22 in competition and is dead.
About what new aircraft type/project are you talking about?

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 06:09 PM
link   
He's talking about the F/B-22. There are rumors that the YF-23 will be used in the dev, but I don't consider them likely, for several reasons.

Interestingly enough, I was trying to track down PAV-1, and have not been successful. For a long time it was parked on the pad along Taxiway E at Edwards, but one day a transport, probably a C-5, landed and they took it away. It may have gone to WP, but I have not been able to confirm that. They also had one of the X-35 prototypes, but that has also been moved, possibly back to LM.

PAV-2 was at the Western Museum of Flight at Hawthorne. Their web site says it was sent back to Northrup Grumman for "refurbishment", and was due to be returned in August, but they do not say it has been returned.

Anyone here live around Jack Northrup Field or WP? I'd like to know where these AC are hiding these days.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 06:55 PM
link   
i wish it was my friend it was a mighty fine plane and was IMO a much better plane than the F22.
though many planes are being based upon the results of its tests.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Alas there were only 2 YF-23's produced. One is at the Dryden flight museum and the other is at a private museum in So Cal. Neighter I believe is in flying condition. It would have been a cool plane IMHO.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by engineer
He's talking about the F/B-22. There are rumors that the YF-23 will be used in the dev, but I don't consider them likely, for several reasons.

I too. Remember there is a reason, why is it called F/B-22, not F/B-23
. Besides the main reason in favour of F/B-22 is that it could be built by just modifying the plane in service - F-22.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I think you are refurring to the long rumored a-17, which is supposed to be a classified medium stealth bomber meant to replace the F-111, which may explain why the Air force is not much interested in the FB-22. If you want more info search for it in the main page.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Alas there were only 2 YF-23's produced. One is at the Dryden flight museum and the other is at a private museum in So Cal. Neighter I believe is in flying condition. It would have been a cool plane IMHO.

Dryden is a actually a working facility, not a museum. The museum at Edwards is called the USAF Test Center Museum. As I posted earlier, PAV-1 is no longer at Edwards. Actually, it was never put on static display by the museum, it was just sitting on the pad there. Doug Nelson is the curator, and he will confirm this if you don't believe me. I won't post his email address, but you can U2U me and I will give it to you.

They think it went to the USAF Museum at Wright Patterson, but they are not sure.

The other one (PAV-2) was on loan to the Western Museum of Flight at Hawthorne, CA. (Jack Northrop Field), but it went back to NG for a paint job and may not have been returned yet.

If anyone can confirm the locations of either AC, I would appreciate it very much.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Here are some specs and pics of the yf-23 for anyone that is interested:

www.fas.org...

E_T

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
This is what "FB-22" might look:

www.globalsecurity.org...

I think supercruise speed would be much better than what Raptor have.
And it would be more stealthier.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 04:05 PM
link   

and the other is at a private museum in So Cal. Neighter I believe is in flying condition. It would have been a cool plane IMHO.

Wow so some private guy in Cali has one of the most advanced aircraft in the world in his house somewhere. Man I wonder how much he had to pay to get one of the two even if it is not in flying condition.

Talk about a sweet conversation piece

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   
the YF-23 isn't anymore alive then the X-32, they lost and the better planes were chosen (F/A-22 & F-35) , end of story.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Wow so some private guy in Cali has one of the most advanced aircraft in the world in his house somewhere.

Its actually the Western Museum Of Flight in hawthorn California
www.wmof.com...

I doubt that any of the avionics are left so its really a stealthy shell. Would be intersting to take a police radar unit to the museum and see if you get a return from it??

The intersting bit is that the web site says its "On loan" not Northrup for refurbishmment????

[edit on 11/24/04 by FredT]

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   
This is a bit intersting:

If as engineer stated the plane is not at Edwards anymore, nor is it listed at WP USAF Museum.

and

The plane at the Western MOF is "out" could it be a meer coincidence?

Perhaps, but this is a conspiracy board.

engineer, can email the curator at the Test School museum to see if the knows the final dispo of the plane?

Both planes being out, one has to wonder

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I absolutly love the YF-23 project and personally I don't think the YF-23 will ever see service in any way, perhaps the design will live on in one way or the other...

the YF-23 will always be my favorite aircraft made in the US...But I also love the F/A-22...

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   
FredT thats interesting that both Black Widows seem to be "out" Perhaps even just a body without avionics could be a security risk. If people could gleam stealth secrets by getting up close with the planes maybe they decided to move them to a more secure location or decided to take more stuff off them.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 07:07 PM
link   

engineer, can email the curator at the Test School museum to see if the knows the final dispo of the plane?
I have already contacted Edwards wrt to PAV-1, and as I previously said, it aint there. They said it might have gone to WP.

I had previously emailed Hawthorne, but my email bounced, I had a bad address. I got a different address, and sent another email today to Gary Pappe, who is the curator at Hawthorne, and inquired about PAV-2. I will post his reply when I get it.

I will try to inquire with the USAF Museum at WP and find out if they have PAV-1. I can't stand a mystery...

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 02:05 AM
link   
This is getting very very interesting. Shadow, I doubt that a static display would worry the gov. that much in regards to giving away secrets. But you never know.

Most planes donated to museums end up being cut up for transport. Most of the planes you see like the Blackbird at the Seattle Museum of flight had its wings clipped and thus can never fly again. But this is NOT the case with these birds it seems.

The plot thickens. And FredT is getting larger

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
the YF-23 isn't anymore alive then the X-32, they lost and the better planes were chosen (F/A-22 & F-35) , end of story.

better plane for a dogfight and cost but thats all.
it seems the US DOD is cutting back a lot of stuff.

to fredT +shadow
i think you may be on to something , hey why is there that red dot on my chest?

[edit on 26-11-2004 by devilwasp]

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 12:43 AM
link   
The air force has put out a RFP( request for proposal) for a mulit role strike bomber that has stealthy features. Lockhead submitted a variant of the F-22, now in production. Northrop supprised everyone by submitting a modifyed yf-23, PAV-2 is being modified for the RFP.

Due to the high cost of these aircraft, and the world political climate, it is hard to imagine a third production line of multi- billion dollar aircraft.

we will wait and see what becomes of this

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join