It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano discovered smoldering under a kilometer of ice in West Antarctica

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

Let's see if have this straight Minime, you live in a cave in WBFE eating grubs and wild leafy shrubs while drinking your day old urine and worshiping at your Al Gore alter. You're quite the sustainability freak. NOT!!! you're just another sanctimonius tree hugging hypocrite. I do believe you're using a computer not a stone tablet and it uses electricity (part of the system). So just what is your point. Have the courage to live your convictions or shut your carbon dioxide spewing mouth.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

S&F for a great find but how 'bout let's not pretend there's a direct cause-and-effect explanation for what's obviously a multifactorial phenomenon.

edit on 8/12/13 by soficrow because: add wd

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Mianeye
The area afected by these volcanos are tiny compared to the size of the ice cap at Antarctica, it might melt a very small localized area, but thats it, but lets blame the volcanos so we don't have to feel guilty and change our lifestyle

The area affected by people who believe that an area that is -50 Celsius is melting because of the lifestyle people are leading, are the ones who should feel guilty, guilty of being brainwashed.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

ill raise you a flag and a star great find

and ill bet that it is maybe half of the problem to the ice melt/climate change

great thread loved the read

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Correlation does not imply causation.

AGW theory at its core is about energy balances.

This may have implications for projections though.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Just wanted to repost this part of your OP:

Let me make something clear here before being sniped at. I do not deny climate change. The climate is changing, the climate has always changed and the climate will continue to change long after mankind annihilated itself. The term denier is a ridiculous epithet for the majority of people who do not consider that the major proportion of climate change can be ascribed to the most minor factor in the climate. So called deniers do not even deny that mankind does have an effect up the climate. The only question is the degree. So, hopefully you understand my position. If you still feel the need to behave in a childish manner and sling insults please do continue. Your rantings will make no difference to my position.

Thumbs up from me on what you stated, and completely agree with this statement.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Mianeye
The area afected by these volcanos are tiny compared to the size of the ice cap at Antarctica, it might melt a very small localized area, but thats it, but lets blame the volcanos so we don't have to feel guilty and change our lifestyle

I dont think we have a good measure of the lenght and breadth in time these eruptions have been going on to make an Educated guess, one way or the other, when it comes to how much melt is because of volcanic activity.To the layman, there sure looks to be a volcanic rift/ridge line in W est Ant, where the melt is more localized on the Continent. What are we to infur from tbat? Has any GW model accurately forcasted an increase in melt in West Antartica? Just curious.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   

maryhinge

ill raise you a flag and a star great find

and ill bet that it is maybe half of the problem to the ice melt/climate change

great thread loved the read

I wonder if there has been similar seismic/vulcanism research done in Greenland? Or any North Polar region?

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 05:21 AM
link   

soficrow

S&F for a great find but how 'bout let's not pretend there's a direct cause-and-effect explanation for what's obviously a multifactorial phenomenon.

My apologies if I conveyed the impression that I believe this volcanic activity to be the only cause of ice loss. Obviously there are, as you say, many reason contributing to any loss or gain of ice.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ss2013

Correlation does not imply causation.

Indeed! You are very right. Something that EVERYONE, both the 'believers' and 'deniers', should bear in mind. It does also as you say have implications for modelling, but there are many facets of climate that are ignored in modelling so we will have to wait and see if this one is included or not.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Mianeye

crazyewok

Mianeye
but lets blame the volcanos so we don't have to feel guilty and change our lifestyle

Ours?

It not the everyday person that uses the most resources.

If you want a lifestyle change look to the 1% who consume probably more resources in a minute tha I probably do in a year.
Are you seriously trying to claim innocent, and blaming it on the rich

It might be you are using a small amount of energy in your home, but the system you are living under consumes tons of energy, and you are part of that system, together with 7 billion other people, anything you own or consume is made in that system.

edit on 8-12-2013 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

Umm. I've noticed that you are posting replies...ergo you are using a computer...ergo you are consuming electricity...ergo you are also part of the problem. My suggestion would be to lead the charge! Let us unplug from the virtual age and abandon our homes! Let us forage like our hairy ancestors and eat ticks out of each others back hair!We shall consume no more resources and cease contributing to the climate's dilapidation!

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Here's hoping we don't get a scenario likes in 'Blue Mars' with a 7m sea level rise

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I mean, the last time I looked, Antarctica was a Continent located on Earth a planet which supposedly has (according to our latest scientific theorists) tectonic plates that move.

Well before you let those pre-counted chickens out of that open barn door, you might want to peruse the information located within the following research papers:

The Solid, Quantified, Radiating and Growing Earth

Five propositions in Geology, namely Constant Size Earth, Plate Tectonics, Heat Engine Earth, Elastic Rebound, and the Organic Origin of Hydrocarbons are challenged and in their place the Excess Mass Stress Tectonics — EMST, i.e., the Solid, Quantified, Radiating and Growing Earth claims to be a comprehensive proposition.

EXCESS MASS STRESS TECTONICS (EMST):AN OUTLINE OF THE HYPOTHESIS

Geodynamic phenomena are attributed to Excess Mass Stress (EMS). The basic idea is that the Earth expands and not due to a heat but to a stress engine. Below the depth of about 100 km in the Earth’s interior, electromagnetic and nuclear forces, not heat and gravity, are considered to dominate. Excess Mass (EM) is the product of transformation of cold plasma (electrons, protons and positive ions) into bulk matter, within the outer core, through electromagnetic confinement, resonance, laser clustering, shockwaves, and controlled nuclear fusions.

This work represents a complete paradigm shift in relation to how the earth works as a stress engine rather than as a heat engine. It also postulates a mechanism for a growing (or expanding) Earth that satisfies several key questions regarding the possibility of increasing mass that would underlay the theory of the earth expanding.

There is a great deal of research presented in my signature thread on the topic exploring the relationship between the Expanding Earth and Electric Universe theories.

Specifically to the excerpt I quoted:

Plate Tectonics: A Paradigm Under Threat

However, evidence from seismic-velocity, heat-flow, and gravity studies has been building up for several decades, showing that ancient continental shields have very deep roots and that the low-velocity asthenosphere is very thin or absent beneath them (e.g., Jordan, 1975, 1978; MacDonald, 1963; Pollack and Chapman, 1977). Seismic tomography has merely reinforced the message that continental cratons, particularly those of Archean and Early Proterozoic age, are “welded” to the underlying mantle, and that the concept of thin (less than 250 km thick) lithospheric plates moving thousands of kilometers over a global asthenosphere is unrealistic.

In other words, no drifting has taken place and the continents are over the same portion of the mantle that they have been for hundreds of millions of years.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

Wow !

There's some great info in there, jaded.

Thanks !

... now I gots me some readin' to do, interesting stuff.

I still say our core is heating up for whatever reason *cough* (magnetics) *cough*... We just don't understand enough about our core and the role it plays/responds to alongside the cosmos around us. Hopefully one day science will figure it out and finally let go of this ludicrous dogmatic idea that a gas of 0.04% is the controller of earth's climate and dynamic response system.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

Can you please share a link to something that references 'hippies' using, all be it, nuclear waste? I really don't think that something like that would spew from the mouth of someone who claims to be 'one of natures children'.

hmph

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

Agreed 700%.

I've never been on to fathom the explicit existence of 'floating continents'. To me, what ever is showing above the current sea level is what is left from the last ice age.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I was wondering if any of the ancients had legends about volcanoes to the South? Or was there any shown on ancient maps like Piri Ries? That would be interesting to add to this discovery.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join