It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crow Thread

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   

PapagiorgioCZ
So you like those amazing, mystical blah blah...
These bastards like to peck the sheep their eyes out leaving them dying in agony.
You should rather kill it whenever you see it. Do you love a psychopathic politician because he's smart?

You're funny! See my edit above.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

That's it? Very funny. What about crows?

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

OMG ! I'm on the floor right now ! LMAO

You guys gotta listen to Bybyots vid and watch Boy Monkeys
Avatar at the same time. On my life I'm in stitches right now.

My side is killing me.

Now I have a headache. But still laughing.
edit on 8-12-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
This is utterly fascinating. Crows have always made me laugh for no specific reason, they're just funny to me. But I had no idea they were so intelligent! I have a feeling I'm going to be watching whatever crow docs and vids I can find into the early morning hours....

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Much of this is new to me. I find it fascinating that lowly birds are smarter than some people I know.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

Very cool.

I have a little story about crows and their intelligence. While sitting in my car between classes in the parking lot at school, I watched crows exhibit their smarts. There was a brown paper bag in the lot on the ground. I hadn't really noticed it until 5 crows swooped down on it. They picked it up a number of times only to let it crash to the ground. After a few drops, a plastic container dropped out. So they proceeded to do the same with the container. Soon the top popped off and they were eating someone's lunch, which looked like last nights spaghetti dinner

Now how they knew there was lunch in that little brown bag inside a plastic container, I have no idea. But they knew there was a payoff inside for them and they knew it
That happened 22 years ago, so maybe they're even smarter now LOL
edit on 8-12-2013 by Bilk22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Like many said in the thread, it's not just crows, many species of birds impress me all the time.

In our last home a family of birds found it's way into our bathroom fan vents. They couldn't go very far but it was a helpful shelter for them. We could hear them every morning walking in the vents.

A sunny day as I was walking out of the home and heading to a friends place nearby I noticed something unusual.

One of the bird had some food in it's beck and was flying almost stationary near the closed vent and it was "kocking" on it then backing off a bit while staying in the air... then as it backed off a little bit the vent opened up. It was one of the bird inside who did opened it.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   

SubTruth
reply to post by Bybyots

I have heard about people going out and shooting as many crows as they can. They do not eat or use the poor birds. These sick men actually consider it fun or some kind of a game.

When I heard about it made me very angry and sad that people could be so cruel and pathetic. We live in a world were being cruel is considered cool.

I am the type of person that will walk around worms on a rainy day. I just do not see the need to kill something for no reason.

Yea some people are ignorant. But, part of the problem is they are so smart and successful. They have a large appetite and will eat allot of different things. It can become problem bird. You can't scare them away,not for long. They learn that is just a dummy or music or recording or their not really shooting at me etc lol.

What is more they teach the other crows and the clever birds that have learned to watch them. If you live in the country and get the chance to observe these birds it is amazing. They truly do problem solve, use tools, learn and remember and on occasion teach each other, when it suits them lol.

One thing, country folk and native Americans are very superstitious about this bird. Everything from they are evil, Satan, warlocks, house the spirit of the dead and on and on. It is often used in voodoo. For these people it is very serious. I am not saying that it is right or wrong but it goes back before we were born and throughout history.

If you have ever been close to one and looked it in the eye it can be spooky lol......

I love them though.

The Bot
edit on 8-12-2013 by dlbott because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
My hats off to you for an excellent and very informative thread.

I'd never known this about crows before but now I see them in a different light.

Those days of sitting in my car outside Mcdonalds throwing them fries and thinking I was playing with them may actually have been them playing with me.

Hahaha

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

edit on 8-12-2013 by reject because:

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   

I remember how the crows every morning I would go to school.
They would be up in the old walnut trees as I would leave out the back door.
I would grab a geen walnut and try to hit one of them. Never to come even
close. Cause when I came out they watched. And as soon as my arm reared back.
They took flight. Then they would land in front of the direction they knew
I was going. Pick up another greenie, hard as a rock they were. And launch
again. but by now they were sitting up just bitchen me out like to no end.
Caw caw caw with their heads down flappin wings.

I could hear them calling me every name
in the book. I'd launch another. They'd land and just mock the hell out of me.
You lil sissyass whiteboy. You can't hit squat. All the way down the street to
school everyday. Same routine. My Mom used to laugh so hard.

Yeah crows have a big place in my heart for sure
edit on 8-12-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

According to Carlos Castaneda and his Shamanic teacher Don Juan, they see everything, in silver, beyond black and white.

To defeat them, according to Don Juan, you must learn how to see the world through their eyes by for a time becoming one of them..

(cue Twilight Zone music)

CAW CAW CAW!

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Was that dude from the book of dreaming?

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   

They hold funerals

The thread is quite interesting, but, I would have to disagree with the video of the crows hanging on the electrical line mourning their dead. I personally think they are waiting for the cars to get out of the way so they can feast off the dead one in the street. I have seen many of crow chowing down on dead animal carcasses. They are scavengers of the dead.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
i love crows, ive always wanted one for a pet. i did find a young crow that had fallen out of its nest and was hopping around. i could have caught it and raised it but its mamma was up in the tree yelling at me so i didnt want to mess with it.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Propulsion

Ah you're right,

That video could be anything in terms of crow-culture. Most of the videos out there are like that, people are guessing at what they are observing. But that's also how we learn about the natural world.

Even the experts are still learning. Tony Angell works with John Marzluff, the guy in the mask in the OP. The two are some of the world's leading experts on crows.

Tony says, "A crow 'funeral' is where the deceased bird is surrounded by members of the same species, in significant numbers." Crows descend from the trees, and they walk around the bird on the ground. And then they fly off. It's very likely that the crows are learning from this experience. Is there danger here? What does the death of this particular crow mean to the social structure of that community of crows? It seems to be a little more complicated than just paying homage.

Crow Funeral with Tony Angell.

At the linked site you can listen to him talk about it.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   
i heard this story once, dont know if its true, but its sounds like it could happen.

a guy, researcher really, had some crows. he taught them that coins equal food. if they dropped a coin in a slot, food came out. really basic. then he taught them that different coins equal different amounts of food.

he then set up the food dispenser outside and let the crows go. he started to make hundreds an month from them. it appears that the ones he let go taught wild crows about the food dispenser and they started to collect coins as well.

again, dont know if this is true, but it sounds like something they would do.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 03:19 AM
link   

stormson
i heard this story once, dont know if its true, but its sounds like it could happen.

a guy, researcher really, had some crows. he taught them that coins equal food. if they dropped a coin in a slot, food came out. really basic. then he taught them that different coins equal different amounts of food.

he then set up the food dispenser outside and let the crows go. he started to make hundreds an month from them. it appears that the ones he let go taught wild crows about the food dispenser and they started to collect coins as well.

again, dont know if this is true, but it sounds like something they would do.

The Crow Vending Machine is what I think you're recalling. I watched a video a couple of years ago about it and it reinforced my fascination with crows. The linked video references what you brought up but it isn't the full length video that I saw that goes into detail.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Have you ever noticed that crows speak in vowels?

I have one across the street right now A, E, O... A, E, O...

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 04:11 AM
link   
I have seen crows find bread from other peoples gardens then fly into my dads garden
and drop the bread in the water to fish for his Koi Carp and goldfish

they are incredibly smart

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join