It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism and Communism

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SisyphusRide

Would you kindly do the same? Because you seem to be implying that atheism is synonymous with the entirety of the Marxist-Leninism platform. Please show me where the official atheist manifesto endorses and/or requires such a philosophy to be considered a valid and official atheist.
edit on 6-12-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Thats quite the blanket statement!

That said, I dont see any reason why we shouldnt work towards an ideal (or perfection). I think that it could lead to very good things for our entire world. I have also professed that I believe technology will reach a point where we either decide to work together, or destroy everything. Working together, at that level, is not currently in play which means that to get there, we must improve towards acting in accordance to an ideal (i.e. not getting obliterated).

I think the issue comes in where individuals are taught that perfection can *only* be reached through a single thought, or a single act, rather than continuously in our lifespan. When one looks at the world with the former type of understanding, which manifests in many different ways, we are apt to believe that all of the imperfections have nothing to do with us individually. We think we have already done our part.

So, we wait for others to "get there" while they look at us thinking the same. It imparts a feeling of superiority, and over time, can frequently lead to apathy or hate. Its a tenet of a worldwide cultural story. One that leads the dualistic approach that there is no ideal to work towards (so why try?), or that we have already achieved that ideal ourselves (so there is nothing for us to do but wait). Once we involve groups of similar-minded thinkers, a desire to "convert" can become part of the ideology.

Once some people discovered that they could take advantage of this for their own personal benefit, and entire "type" of industry was born! One that has been taken advantage of by governments, corporations, religions, and anything that can be marketed to large groups of people.

The truth is, that each and every one of us decides where this world and society goes on a continuous basis with our every action. We choose where and when to put energy. Changing the world for the better wouldnt necessarily take "more" energy, just a re-direction of what we already do every day. "How" we invest this energy is molded by various technologies that can make the process more efficient. It is currently also molded by groups who profit off of every day actions. And they can profit more and more as long as individuals are more focused on fighting petty, subjective differences than focusing on the ones exploiting the exchange.

OP, people think differently than one another, but we are all here in the same place. Making connections where there are none, in the name of some ideology is distinctly playing into the exploitation that holds *all* of us back. Instead of focusing on tearing another belief system down why dont you try to work together to create a better world for all of us (which includes YOU). I believe in God, and that morality would be sourced in God (as with all things). That would mean morality is instilled regardless of what subjective lense we view the world through. Even if I am wrong, most people have good moral guidelines, and it doesnt matter how they view existence and being. Sometimes that morality is misled, and its intentional in many ideologies for profit.

Instead of focusing on subjective differences, why not focus on objective improvements that can be created by both you and the "Atheist Communists?" The overall goals always have the most in common, the methods may vary. But, if actually working together could lead to those goals for everyone, what is keeping you? God is great enough to reveal to people in their own time and seeking, no conversion necessary.

And in the meantime, we will proceed to work towards the very ideals that are not only in the Bible, but commonly held throughout ideologies. Things like morality, hope, and dreams are not explicitly bound to one subjective view. We can use them as common goals to work towards our dreams, instead of using them to knock each other out at the knees.

Instead of ripping out or "converting" others foundations, we could help each other build and reach even greater heights than on our own.
edit on 6-12-2013 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

OrphanApology
Lack of a belief in spirituality or gods does not equal a belief in the state.

surely the State will step in to try to fill the gap... as witnessed in reality under Lenin

Orwell 1984 anyone? or how about THX 1138

edit on 6-12-2013 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Serdgiam

Thats quite the blanket statement!

Then you got my point.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   

With pizazz!

Blankets for everyone! Just not the physically cold!

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Serdgiam

Indeed.

edit on 6-12-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   

So what's a belief in, and rejection of, God? Just out of curiosity.

1) A belief in God, requires the trust, faith, or confidence, that God is real.

2) A rejection of God's existence, requires trust, faith, or confidence, in one's self.

They are both based on one's own belief.

See ya,
Milt
edit on 971America/Chicago12RAmerica/Chicago2013-12-06T16:19:18-06:00Fridayu18America/Chicago by BenReclused because: Typo

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Ah well. These things happen.
edit on 6-12-2013 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Serdgiam

Sorry, I forgot who I was replying to and what about. -_-

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

Belief in the self is healthy. It's called "self esteem".

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
"It tends to be forgotten however, that the most ruthless leaders in the Second World War were atheists and secularists who were intensely hostile to both Judaism and Christianity" and "Later massive atrocities were committed in the East by those ardent atheists.

Adolf Hitler's chosen deputy - Martin Bormann - Nazi Battle with the Churches.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
"Martin Bormann" - Militant Atheist

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   

If you are just looking on the web for "evil atheists" I can find plenty of evil religious folk.

Hitler was a Christian.....

edit on 6-12-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

One of the core pillars of communism (and all utopian ideologies) is that society can be perfected and a heaven can be made on earth. People are born as blank slates and society and its institutions (family, religion, education, capitalism) corrupts us from our pure roots. Only the destruction and reorganization/abolition of these institutions will allow humans to continue to grow free from these corruptions and create a perfect society.

Most religious belief has original sin as one of its core pillars: man was born into sin and it takes work and grace to be good.

This is one of the largest sources of friction between utopianism and religion and why utopian regimes (Jacobins, Kmher Rouge, Juche, Leninism, Nazism) fought so hard to eliminate it.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

it appears that atheists not only dislike theistic people as the fundamental nature of their being, which seemingly inseparable with their world view.

atheists kill theistic people...

in their own society (genocide) when given positions or usurping positions of power or governance over the affairs of a society.

I'd rather be hallucinating than be a genocidal psychopath

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Bad people kill others and it gets worse If those people are in power.
But to blame the reason why they are bad on them being atheists is hogwash..you know it,I know it, everyone knows it but you continue to try and get people into your club.
Isn't working btw.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   

boymonkey74

Hitler was a Christian.....

No, he wasnt.

www.straightdope.com...

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Perhaps some atheists believe in the state. Many religious also believe in a state. Atheism is simply a lack of belief in gods or spirituality. It has nothing to do with economic schematics or political philosophies.

Are there atheists out there who are Statists? Sure.

Just like there are atheists out there that are murderers and ones who really like chocolate ice-cream.

However, the lack of a belief in gods or spirituality neither makes one a murderer or like chocolate ice cream. Nor does it make one a communist.

Statist environments whether they be democracies, communist, theocracies, are a type of system based on some means of promoting one group of people to the status of having the supreme right to use violence on other people. It doesn't matter what type of government it is, all governments use violence as a means of coercion.

Atheism is a lack of belief in a higher power or invisible mystical spirituality.

Stating that atheism is communism is just trolling and doesn't even make sense from their very basic definitions.

This will be my last comment. This whole thread is a troll roll.
edit on 6-12-2013 by OrphanApology because: d

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   

I mean this with all due respect, but at the moment, you scare me more than any communist, or militant atheist. Equating all atheists with the historical figures you've posted is like equating all Christians with Heinrich Kramer and Jacobus Sprenger. Or all vegans with Adolf Hitler, who took it up later in life.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Genocidal psychopath? Oh you mean God in the old testament don't you.
2,476,633 people killed by a vengeful and jealous God...just the qualitys I go for when picking a God.
Basque in his glory everyone....pfft.
Anyhow Iam out....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join