It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Milk Prices Could Rise To $8 A Gallon In 2014: Here's Why

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   

A gallon of milk could be priced at $8 by 2014 if the House and Senate don't agree on a new farm policy for dairy products.

If legal action isn't taken before 2014, the United States farm policy would revert back to "permanent" law, which would be the 1949 farm bill, according to NPR.

"In 1949, the dairy industry was much smaller and less efficient than the one that exists today, so it received bigger price supports from the federal government. And if U.S. policy reverted to the old law, the government would be forced to go into the marketplace and buy milk, butter and cheese at about double the going rate," NPR reported.

Milk Prices Could Rise To $8 A Gallon In 2014: Here's Why

So not sure where this should go, if I'm wrong, please move.

AAHHHH! Yet again our leaders fail to lead, make up and play nice, and we could be paying double for all dairy products by New Year's Day. Congress has yet to do even a decent job. The 113th Congress has been the least productive congress in U.S. history, passing only 55 bills so far.

PBS.org 113th congress on track to be the least productive ever

This total gridlock due to a (insert own opinion here) has cost Americans their jobs, homes and dignity. Congress is due to leave bills on Immigration, emergency unemployment bennys, food stamps and others on the table until after the winter break. I am beginning to believe that a lot of conspiracy buffs are gonna be really bummed in 2014. These guys can't even pull their heads out of their @#$%& long enough to take care of our country much less do something worthy of that kind of attention.

But MILK? CHEESE? ICE CREAM FOR THE LOVE OF PEET? People already on a tight budget won't be able to handle the crunch. Imagine a generation of children forced to breast feed until they are like 8, because that milk is free. Think the gov'mnt handouts will include that big block of cheddar in the box? What about powdered milk? Gone. A generation of children that will grow up with week bones 'n stuff. Pretty crappy military where the enemy just pushes our guys over, like going to war with a nursing home. Wow.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   

edit on 12/6/2013 by whatnext21 because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
There is no reason for the government to subsidize any sort of farm product. The farm bills usually are created to push taxpayer money to those that own large amounts of land and/or animal factories.

I hope they do not pass another bill and let's let these people price their products based on supply and demand. If they price a gallon of milk at $8......they will go out of business and they know it.

So I would say that we will not see $8 a gallon for milk.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
So if they don't pass a farm bill the usda is required to buy all the milk? What a weird law. And they'll sell it back at $7-8.00 a gallon while maintaining their own enormous surpluses? Very weird.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   

sheepslayer247
There is no reason for the government to subsidize any sort of farm product. The farm bills usually are created to push taxpayer money to those that own large amounts of land and/or animal factories.

I hope they do not pass another bill and let's let these people price their products based on supply and demand. If they price a gallon of milk at $8......they will go out of business and they know it.

It's not about continuing a subsidy that keeps milk prices unusually low, it's that "permanent law" requires the usda to buy milk at much higher prices and then they'll be the only source of milk (except for the obvious buying a cow or knowing a farmer).

link   
reply to post by Gothar

Well the House of Senate better get a moooooooo've on. Sorry, couldn't resist

link   
Ain't gonna happen, because nobody is going to pay $8 for a gallon of 'modified sweat gland production of bovines designed for the strict nutritional needs of baby calves'...

And breastfeeding isn't free, the calories have to come from somewhere, although granted most American women have plenty of calories stored up to use in just such a fashion.

People will default to drinking water, which if they can source it without fluoride will be all to the good, and ice cream will become the luxury it was originally, not the almost every day thing that people seem to expect.

If the dairy farmers can't sell their production at realistic prices, the market should take over, rather than the subsidized situation they've had for decades, and they'll be forced to sell their herds to the hamburger producers, and maybe go into something that makes more sense longterm, like aquaponics (which thankfully doesn't require twice a day milking, expensive equipment, and 24/7/365 hard work.

Also, you might want to look into the connection between modern dairy 'standards' and the US pandemic of unreported Crohn's disease in humans. Turns out there's a disease in dairy cattle caused by a tuberculin-like bug that exactly matches Crohn's; the bug is not killed by pasteurization and since commercial dairy products are a mixture of hundreds of individual cows, the chances of being exposed to this disease are pretty good with regular consumption. Crohn's can be extremely debilitating and even fatal in severe cases, and the dairy industry is terrified that word will get out (like mad cow disease did a few years back).

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Gothar

Going to war with a nursing home... Send in the dementia re-con unit!!

I personally see the prices rising sharply in the near future. Not just on dairy, but everything. For every dollar the Fed Res. Pumps into our economy, the dollar devalues that much more. High DJI levels are earily similar to the rise of the housing market. We all know what happened to that bubble.

Seems as if the wall street elite and world banks are combining efforts to push an inevitable crash out as long as possible. The problem with that is... The bigger the bubble, the harder the pop. And I can almost guarantee the ones responsible for it will somehow scoot aside from any major consequences.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I had to really read this over and think about it for what it meant. It's a bit confusing...but it doesn't seem to be about buying MORE of those things, just paying more on a different scale out of an old law. Given the date of the old one, I'm guessing it's post-war related for trying to support those segments of the economy back then or something. Carried forward, it sounds catastrophic.

The Government...when thought of generically, buys ALL KINDS of things for all sorts of reasons. Some things get contracted, but a lot still don't. Job Corps... The Military.. Some Education... All consume food. So demand will be just fine whether some consumers can't buy it or not. Uncle will still need enough to blow the market numbers, I think.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Norway has the answer all along and its partly why they have the highstest standard of living and the best well cared for people who are the freest on the planet, and delightful services.

Price Control! All necessities: ie. land, homes, utilities, and food! Ta Da!

I would go a step further and would eliminate all taxes, all personal and all sales and property.

I would tax all banks 10%! Ta Da!

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Gothar

Buy a cow, or a goat. It's really as simple as that. The only dairy I eat is cheese and ice cream and I know how to make it.

This would not be the end of the world.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Heck It may stop you guys in the states drinking what you all call milk.
Put it this way your milk is banned mostly everywhere due to the crap they allow in it.
Recombinant bovine growth hormone...enjoy puss in your milk guys.

yuck.
edit on 6-12-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-12-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Gothar

This is just my opinion, and is just for me, I already pay about $14.00 a gallon for milk. I won't drink pasteurized milk, I budget (don't make much money) for the good stuff, Raw, Pasteurfed milk. It saved my life, figuritively speaking. I get by on half a gallon a week - nothing goes to waste. If it sours, I soak oatmeal in it overnight before cooking or the dogs get a nice treat. I can go on and on about the wonders of good raw milk and milk products.

For me, the good stuff, organic fruits and veges, pasteur feed, free range meats and eggs is well worth it. Nothing is thrown away, everything gets eaten and my health is good.

Subsidizing indrustrial farming is subsidizing indrustrial farmings methods which produce an exceedingly poor product and destroy and pollute the planet all in the name of profit for a select few.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Those a-holes could care less. They aren't living on a fixed budget. They dont worry about gas prices.....or milk prices. They're loaded.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
-Sighs- Nothing can be easy for the American citizen anymore, can it? The government always has to put the people down in one way or another and I'm getting sick of it. Whatever happened to the citizens having the right to rebel and kick the losers out of government that don't know what in the #### they're doing? I guess it's time to buy up dehydrated canned milk.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
If the prices rise to that amount of USD $8, I could see Americans coming to Canada to buy a gallon of milk for CDN $5.20

Last time I checked it costs me about USD $3.50 a gallon if I go to the states to buy my milk. But I highly doubt the American government would like to see its people buy milk products in Canada so I don't foresee any reason why the price of milk would hit the eight dollar mark. Maybe at par with Canada I could see.
edit on 6-12-2013 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
If milk was 8 bucks a gallon you'll see more small time dairy farmers.

The only thing nonsense like this hurts is the monopoly farming companies.

If this happens it will open the door for little guys to step in and start making money on some titty secretions.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Gothar

a gallon is about 4.5 liters right?(yes, i'm a metric system user)

in sweden we pay about 8-9 sek(ca 1.3 usd) for a liter of milk as of now.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Gothar

So you're pretty sure this has absolutely nothing to do with the World Trade Organization's (WTO's) push for a global trade deal?

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

sheepslayer247

This. (yes, puddin', I'm agreeing with you, lolz)

This is nothing but a scare tactic to encourage people to run to the government for help, when it is government meddling that has created the problem in the first place.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join