It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you think? US National Flag Ordered at Half Staff for Nelson Mandela

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

The race card? Do you know Mandela's story? Do you know his fight against racism? And to discount racism after his death is narrow minded. The first black American president lowers the flag to half staff for the first black South African president.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   

LDragonFire
The race card? Do you know Mandela's story? Do you know his fight against racism? And to discount racism after his death is narrow minded.

No. For you to add racism to this discussion is what is narrow minded.
It's a very simple question ... when should the US Flag be lowered to half staff.
No where has anyone said anything close to 'don't lower it for a black guy'.
When people have said not to lower it for Mandela, they have said not to lower it for ANY
foreigner or ANY politician .... black, white, pink polkadots ... whatever ...

Comeon ....you are interjecting the race card where it doesn't belong. It's insulting.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Excuse me, but this thread was started because a black man died and a black man has ordered flags to be flown at half mass.

In almost every group of people you can count on at least 15% to be racist, and your group feels like racism no longer exists? Its a logical conclusion.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I will try and answer the question.

The star spangled banner is one of the few things which represent every American citizen, as a collective, as one. You can say that the Constitution written on the hempy paper is another similar one.

That being established, the actions ordered about the conduct of the item, must be that which can, beyond reasonable doubt, reflect the feelings of the nation as a whole, almost without argument. In this respect, in the wake of the shuttle disaster, yes, the flag being lowered was the correct thing to do.

So, with that loose analysis in place, ask yourself this: If the flag is lowered in respect to Mr Mandela, would it be an action which would be at the approval of virtually all Americans?

This will provide your answer, FlyersFan, in my humble opinion.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Mufcutcakeyumyum

So that would be a "no".

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

LDragonFire

Excuse me, but this thread was started because a black man died and a black man has ordered flags to be flown at half mass.

In almost every group of people you can count on at least 15% to be racist, and your group feels like racism no longer exists? Its a logical conclusion.

The only racist here is you. You can't separate the men from their color.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Yes, it is very appropriate .. he did more for humanity than most US politicians, who do not deserve such respect.

Mr. Nelson Mandela ..you will be missed as not only the father of Africa, but for justice and equality around the world.

There is still a lot of work to be done, to continue his fight. After Apartheid was dismantled in SA, the racist Boer, British and other whites who could not stand the equal standing of Black people, ended up leaving South Africa, and most of them went to Australia. This is why there is a surge of racism in Australia today, as those freaks have now re-started Apartheid in Australia.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by suz62

Correct.
Yes.
Indeed.
Almost unarguably (is that even a word ?)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

FlyersFan

JohnnyCanuck
What an odd, arid question.
What an odd snarky statement for you to make.
It's very simple. When do YOU think the US flag should be lowered to half staff?
Is it an excellent question. One that you didn't bother to answer.
Whatever. Your not American anyways ...

Well, doesn't that just sum up your position on this thread. To answer your question, then, I suppose that it all comes down to a recognition of and respect for things of importance occurring outside of your American microcosm.

I would suggest that if you don't get it now, you aren't gonna and this thread is nothing but a call for bobbleheads of the same mind.

But what do I know...I'm not American anyways.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

buster2010
For the people saying that it is inappropriate for the flag to be lowered for Mandela may want to check up on the flag codes here in the states.

Flag Code

In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law.

Deny ignorance don't embrace it.

Taken as a whole the code suggests foreign dignitaries that die while on official missions within US territories. Say while serving as ambassador. That's "foreign" i.e. from another country not leaders of other nations who die at home.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Oh good hell.

Is racism like your go to card when all else fails?

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
my flag remains at full mast. He was not an American hero or leader.

Sorry let the UN lower their flag but the US does not recognize such a practice

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

Is your ideological disbelieve that racism no longer exists all you have?

So far I'm right about this thread, it is predictably leaning in the ideological way I thought it would go.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

JohnnyCanuck

FlyersFan

JohnnyCanuck
What an odd, arid question.
What an odd snarky statement for you to make.
It's very simple. When do YOU think the US flag should be lowered to half staff?
Is it an excellent question. One that you didn't bother to answer.
Whatever. Your not American anyways ...

Well, doesn't that just sum up your position on this thread. To answer your question, then, I suppose that it all comes down to a recognition of and respect for things of importance occurring outside of your American microcosm.

We wrote the book on what a non-microcosmic nation is. When was america ever in a microcosm mode? We have the right to reserve a symbolic honor to our own and not turn it into part of our foreign policy pandering.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

It's the only argument that they can use when your opinion and or facts don't fit them.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

LDragonFire
reply to post by macman

So far I'm right about this thread, it is predictably leaning in the ideological way I thought it would go.

Racism only exists because people like you use it in any and all arguments that you don't agree with.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   

The UN should be the ones doing this. Let them honor international figures.

Nothing against Nelson but the president said "now he belongs to the ages". Same guy has also made comments about the american civil war not being about slavery. So this adage given at Lincolns death means what then when applied to Nelson?

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Logarock
We have the right to reserve a symbolic honor to our own and not turn it into part of our foreign policy pandering.
According to the Flag Code cited above, that's just what was done.

As to microcosms. I might point out that a vast knowledge or regard for what goes on in the rest of the world is not a condition generally attributed to the average American...God love them.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Did I say that racism doesn't exist???
I will wait for you to let me know this.

You have a bad habit of putting words in other peoples mouths.

I asked directly, is the race card your go too item???

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

thesaneone

LDragonFire
reply to post by macman

Racism only exists because people like you use it in any and all arguments that you don't agree with.

That is one of the most stupid things I've seen posted here.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join