It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you think? US National Flag Ordered at Half Staff for Nelson Mandela

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   

buster2010
For the people saying that it is inappropriate for the flag to be lowered for Mandela may want to check up on the flag codes here in the states.

I already posted that information.
And Mandela was a foreign former leader.
He wasn't an official dignitary at the time of his death.

This thread isn't 'is the flag lowering following the law' ...
This thread asked the question .... when you you think it should be lowered.

Deny ignorance don't embrace it.

Yes ... deny ignorance.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   

EA006
What a complete ***k you are. Mandela, a minor character in the landscape?

That's not what the poster said. This is the more complete quote -

The flag should only be lowered for major events in the US. 9/11 is a good example. It should not be lowered for shooting incidents and the death of every minor character in the landscape.

The previous posts were talking about how the flag gets lowered for lots of things ... like the death of Ted Kennedy and former politicians and 'shooting incidents' etc etc. It wasn't pointed at Mandela alone.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

buster2010
For the people saying that it is inappropriate for the flag to be lowered for Mandela may want to check up on the flag codes here in the states.

Flag Code

In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law.

Deny ignorance don't embrace it.

He was not an official or dignitary. He was a retired person. He was a national hero of South Africa. Yes, he meant a lot to a lot of people around the world, but I still don't think the flag should fly at half mast for him. Find another way to honor him as he deserves it.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

I don't think anyone is suggesting there is something unlawful about it, but asking whether this is an appropriate use of the code allowing for it?

Did we lower the flags to half staff for Hugo Chavez? (I honestly don't recall..) Generally speaking, we don't lower the U.S. National flag for every leader of the 200 some nations in the world, when they die. Only some, as the discretion of the President or Congress...so it's a subjective and discretionary thing. Now it's open for debate.

I also don't recall either the National OR State flag being taken to Half Staff for near the events it is today. In past years, it was worth asking someone why the State Flag was lowered as much as the National, because it must mean something of individual importance to know about has happened. Now? It's as much simple nice gesture....and it's wrong somehow, that way.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

It shouldn't have included Mandela at all.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I bet this will be divided along ideological lines the right will be against this (could be based in racism) and everyone else will support this.

Mandela is a world hero, respected and loved across the globe. Salute!

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I dont see the fuss. Its just a flag, abit of fabric on a pole.
edit on 6-12-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Expat888
Innappriate to lower the u.s flag for a foriegn citizen or foriegn leader.

This. It should not have been lowered for either JP II or NM.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Did we lower the flags to half staff for Hugo Chavez?

Emmm....Do you do that for people you didn't like?

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   

LDragonFire
I bet this will be divided along ideological lines the right will be against this (could be based in racism) and everyone else will support this.

The race card?? Really?? Don't go there. That's silly.

Not wanting the flag flown at half staff for retired foreign leaders is NOT racist.

I said I didn't think it should be flown at half for Mandela, and at the same time I acknowledged
how he was admired ... and for good reason.

I said the same about Pope John Paul II ... the flag shouldn't have been lowered for that.
Does that mean I'm anti-white people for saying that?

Comeon ....

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

The flag was lowered for Pope John Paul II .. who died in office.
It was lowered for Ted Kennedy .. a retired US democrat from Massachusetts.
It was lowered for the Christmas Tsunami victims.
It was lowered for Sandy Hook.

I looked to see if it was lowered for the death of Mother Teresa or Princess Di, etc
I didn't find where the flag was lowered for them or anyone else ...
(and you'd think that if Nelson Mandela got a flag lowering, then Mother Teresa would have)
I'm not finding a complete list.

I can see lowering it for Sandy Hook. I can see lowering it for the Space Shuttle blowing up.
Those are things that shocked the nation and that we, as a group, really mourned over.
But I can't see lowering it for retired politicians ... USA or otherwise.
And I can't see lowering it for the Pope. 40% of Christian Americans are Catholic.
But still ... the flag shouldn't have been lowered.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Does this mean every flag in the U.S. is supposed to be at half staff?
I dont really see a problem with the White House lowering theirs in respect for the guy or any other nations leader hence my question...should I have to lower my flag?

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   

What an odd, arid question.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   

JohnnyCanuck
What an odd, arid question.

What an odd snarky statement for you to make.

It's very simple. When do YOU think the US flag should be lowered to half staff?
Is it an excellent question. One that you didn't bother to answer.
Whatever. Your not American anyways ...
edit on 12/6/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   

tinner07
Does this mean every flag in the U.S. is supposed to be at half staff?

Yes. When the POTUS orders the nations flags at half, then all flags are supposed to be at half.
It's a presidential order and, under law, it's enforceable. Although I doubt the flag-police
are going to go write tickets if the local McDonalds flag is at full staff (etc) .....

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   

If Americans when caught up worrying about abit of fabric on a pole then they may wake up and get something actually done.
edit on 6-12-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   

I wouldn't count out the flag police

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   

crazyewok
If American when caught up worrying about abit of fabric on a pole ...

No one is 'caught up worrying' about it. That's really blowing things up out of proportion.
This is a simple question for Americans at ATS ...
When do you think the US National Flag should be dipped to half staff?

If you aren't American ... or if you are American and think it's a stupid question ... then just move along and go to a different thread. No big deal.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   

When they were lowered to half staff for when the JFK Jr died, the whole true meaning was thrown out the window.

It was designed for US citizens, not foreigners , celebrities or relatives of politicians.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

You love to find any excuse to bash America.

On topic.
Our national flag should only be lowered for American's not foreign leaders. We will still honor those who have changed the world for the better.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join