It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-fear mongerers are ruining this site

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Doom-mongering is all well and good if the item actually has some substance or documentation behind it. Most of it lately has been misguided fluff and misinterpreted trash. There are plenty of other websites catering to the "chicken little" types why would you think ATS needs to cater to it?

The premise of this site is DENY IGNORANCE……LOL!!!!

Not promote ignorance for cripes sake!!

Another thing is every website cycles thru spurts of new members who may not be familiar with documenting or supporting a decent argument and need some time to "catch on".

You do know if you don't like it you could begin some threads yourself right?

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Well, ALL of it is better than television. at least on ats we can SWITCH THREADS, we can PICK and CHOOSE what we fill our heads with!

That all said, I think we should consider who is responsible for the garbage that's being posted! The same happened to youtube. Originally it was a fantastic source of quality info, but that was the problem, so tptb employed people to dilute it with mountains of poo. Same is happening here.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by surrealist

Nothing stays the same. Even when we try to keep it the same we interfere and make change. Luckily this is only a website...when the change gets to be too much to bear one only has to stop viewing.

I have been a member for a few years. I think that many of the people who provided good content got tired of propping up the website and getting little respect in return. It seemed before like a site shared by the forum members.

But authority took hold of the roots and pulled. That is what authority does. Authority likes everything to remain the same,but when it starts pulling, everything changes.

Peace

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Caver78

You do know if you don't like it you could begin some threads yourself right?

I've started many a threads, how do you think I got my high flag count relative to my posts?

I guess one aspect of all this is that I don't tend to look at those threads a lot of you guys mention, as I dismiss them as silly anyway, so not bothered by them or the imminent doom they claim. I did look at a few of the 2012 threads that were going at the time but didn't let it bother me. Most of my stuff was centred around global economic collapse or other similar world government developments.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
What I get from your post is that people should not espouse an opinion that is counter to another's, no matter how far fetched and illogical?
Perhaps, what you mean is that only wacko's need post?
Perhaps, what you really mean is that this website is for the posting and nurturing of extreme opinions and any opinions that are: not lacking in logic, factually based or exhibiting a foundation based on sound thought processes are not welcome?

Gee...I thought this website was supposed to present possible truths which would stand up to the light of day that are counter to the normally accepted paradigms of the day. Truths which, by the way, will survive debate.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by bbracken677

As an addendum I would like to add that I enjoy this website because it will tend to open one's mind to other perceptions...even if they do not agree with one's own personal philosophy or beliefs.

I appreciate well thought out premises that present another way to look at various topics. I do not, however, appreciate poorly thought out posts that come from some deep seated distrust of everything and anything mainstream. While I have to profess a distrust of our govt and politicians, as well as foreign govts and politicians I do not automatically jump to ridiculous notions of conspiracy at the drop of the hat that require a suspension of belief in all things logical and natural.

Nothing annoys me more than some nutcase (excuse me if I am describing yourself) automatically crying wolf (conspiracy) with absolutely no proof, no logic nor even a shred of common sense. Not everything is a conspiracy.
Sheet happens. There are coincidences, believe it or not. Coincidences should be viewed with distrust....should be examined carefully but are not, in and of themselves, proof. Too many on this website are completely and totally ignorant of the scientific process.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   

bbracken677

As an addendum I would like to add that I enjoy this website because it will tend to open one's mind to other perceptions...even if they do not agree with one's own personal philosophy or beliefs.

I appreciate well thought out premises that present another way to look at various topics. I do not, however, appreciate poorly thought out posts that come from some deep seated distrust of everything and anything mainstream. While I have to profess a distrust of our govt and politicians, as well as foreign govts and politicians I do not automatically jump to ridiculous notions of conspiracy at the drop of the hat that require a suspension of belief in all things logical and natural.

Nothing annoys me more than some nutcase (excuse me if I am describing yourself) automatically crying wolf (conspiracy) with absolutely no proof, no logic nor even a shred of common sense. Not everything is a conspiracy.
Sheet happens. There are coincidences, believe it or not. Coincidences should be viewed with distrust....should be examined carefully but are not, in and of themselves, proof. Too many on this website are completely and totally ignorant of the scientific process.

I can only say that in the face of so many conspiracies that have turned out true, its very hard not to have a bias.
Im always open to all information from all sides, but I will be first to admit, I approach every conspiracy with a bias.
But I will not cling to a theory if the evidence doesnt support it.
Doctors lie, politicians lie(thats all they do), the military lies, judges lie, all it takes is a few well placed liars and any conspiracy can be suppressed. Just look at the history of paedophilia cover ups.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

bbracken677
What I get from your post is that people should not espouse an opinion that is counter to another's, no matter how far fetched and illogical?
Perhaps, what you mean is that only wacko's need post?
Perhaps, what you really mean is that this website is for the posting and nurturing of extreme opinions and any opinions that are: not lacking in logic, factually based or exhibiting a foundation based on sound thought processes are not welcome?

Gee...I thought this website was supposed to present possible truths which would stand up to the light of day that are counter to the normally accepted paradigms of the day. Truths which, by the way, will survive debate.

I get from the OP that they are tired of attacks, not opinions. People harass and attack and I personally get a little tired of hearing Deny Ignorance....what do we think ATS Skunk Works, Chit-Chat, The Gray Area, Dreams & Predictions, Folk Tales & Urban Legends, General Conspiracies even our nice little Ludicrous Online Lies is supposed to contain?? 100% facts with authentication? People are told their thread is ignorant and that they should have more sense then to start it in the first place...yet there is a highly stared thread running now about sharing morning coffee with you all.

Really get honest, it is about people wanting to read something that scares them then wanting to blame someone for themselves being scared. The ignorance is the inability to not read a thread you are going to feel the need to hate on the OP over.

If i want to share some odd thing that happened to me why can't I go here and let those who want to read it do so? If I do that, why should I be harassed about starting STUPID threads with nothing to substantiate it? REALLY? We have forums for for Area 51, Secret Societies, Aliens and other topics like chemtrails...what should be included...what is enough fact for someone to be included in the having Denied ignorance and make everyone happy?

There are PLENTY of forums that are clearly for the other side of the interest like Breaking Alternative News, Paranormal Studies, for things that have facts that can be tested or backed up in mainstream science or news sites.

You just want to decide who is a "whacko" what is "logical".

In the end it is all about MANNERS..certain persons like to hurt and belittle and call childish names like ignorant rather the SKIP what offends them in the first place and let those who enjoy it do so without the name calling.
edit on 7-12-2013 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

anyone who tires of the constant illogical posturing

It is ignorant to read things one feels so negative about in my opinion. Illogical to think putting the person down for making the thread is somehow intelligent and helpful!
Nothing to see there (for you) move along.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Don't you just love the title of this thread? "Anti fear mongerers are ruining this site!" So exactly WHAT is a "fear mongerer," the presence of which would NOT ruin this site, that the OP sees as beneficial? Here's a definition:

"Fear mongering (or scaremongering or scare tactics) is the use of fear to influence the opinions and actions of others towards some specific end. The feared object or subject is sometimes exaggerated, and the pattern of fear mongering is usually one of repetition, in order to continuously reinforce the intended effects of this tactic, sometimes in the form of a vicious circle."
Source.

If you don't like that definition or consider it suspect, here's one from the Oxford English Dictionary:

noun, the action of deliberately arousing public fear or alarm about a particular issue: "his campaign for re-election was based on fearmongering and deception"
Source.

So OP is suggesting people who question fear mongering are ruining this site? Excuse me, but what does "deny ignorance" mean, then? Does it mean indulging in fear mongering? That's what the OP is suggesting. He doesn't want anyone questioning people who use scare tactics to put forth every conspiracy imaginable. To him, any crazy thing goes, and not only does it "go," it does so without question.

If you use that kind of definition, then ATS is less than useless. It's a laughingstock of unsubstantiated paranoid delusions.

edit on 12/7/2013 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

So OP is suggesting people who question fear mongering are ruining this site?

or people who just like the sound of their words, calling everything they read FEar Mongering and oh yes...make sure you "deny ignorance". Talk about parroting is there a thread on here where that line is not used?

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   

OneManArmy
But I will not cling to a theory if the evidence doesnt support it.
Doctors lie, politicians lie(thats all they do), the military lies, judges lie, all it takes is a few well placed liars and any conspiracy can be suppressed. Just look at the history of paedophilia cover ups.

This is, IMO, a logical approach. There is nothing wrong with questioning stories, published unsubstantiated "facts" and spins. In fact, questioning the accepted dogma correctly is, or can be, a noble cause.

One has to examine the situation (we are, after all, discussing a general scenario) and make some personal judgements regarding the authenticity of the presented "facts". What is to be gained and by who? How difficult would the "conspiracy" be to maintain?

To summarily, in the first reply to a post concerning a current event, announce to all that there is a conspiracy without any actual thought, rationale, or objective reasoning, but rather just a knee jerk reaction hardly fulfills the goal of "denying ignorance" and instead appears to satisfy the opposite.

One of the most controversial, conspiracy generating events of my life was the assassination of JFK. I have firmly been of the mind that Oswald was not alone. I have also firmly felt that he did not fire the fatal shot. Many many facts and eye witness statements were totally ignored by the Warren Commission. I have finally, after many years, come to the conclusion that there will never be a resolution.....

I believe that a secret service agent accidently killed the president and the conspiracy was, initially, by the secret service and then grew to include other leaders of our govt to suppress that information.

I can present facts supporting that statement as well as sources (book, tv documentary). Can I prove it beyond a doubt? No...but all the pieces fit.

That is my classic conspiracy case...

To take the death of an individual and declare it a conspiracy when even the most rudimentary facts have not yet been presented is paranoia. Hence my wacko statement from a previous post.

To take that same death, and examine the facts, once determined, and come to a conclusion that something is fishy, that too many questions remain, is a more logical approach. To question the statements made by individuals or groups with something to gain from the death is also a logical approach.

To not know the facts and yet to declare conspiracy before the blood has dried, so to speak, is not logical, not rational and absolutely ignores any shred of common sense. This is not to say that one may not suspect that is the case...it may even turn out to be the case that there was some conspiracy. What I ask and feel is the correct approach would be to identify your opinion as such, rather than to state as fact that there is a conspiracy.

I have seen individuals yank names, organizations and other details out of their nether areas even before the most basic of information was available. This is, IMO, ridiculous nonsense.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   

I never said anything like that.

Char-Lee

I get from the OP that they are tired of attacks, not opinions. People harass and attack

Exactly.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   

schuyler
Don't you just love the title of this thread? "Anti fear mongerers are ruining this site!" So exactly WHAT is a "fear mongerer," the presence of which would NOT ruin this site, that the OP sees as beneficial? Here's a definition:

"Fear mongering (or scaremongering or scare tactics) is the use of fear to influence the opinions and actions of others towards some specific end. The feared object or subject is sometimes exaggerated, and the pattern of fear mongering is usually one of repetition, in order to continuously reinforce the intended effects of this tactic, sometimes in the form of a vicious circle."
Source.

If you don't like that definition or consider it suspect, here's one from the Oxford English Dictionary:

noun, the action of deliberately arousing public fear or alarm about a particular issue: "his campaign for re-election was based on fearmongering and deception"
Source.

So OP is suggesting people who question fear mongering are ruining this site? Excuse me, but what does "deny ignorance" mean, then? Does it mean indulging in fear mongering? That's what the OP is suggesting. He doesn't want anyone questioning people who use scare tactics to put forth every conspiracy imaginable. To him, any crazy thing goes, and not only does it "go," it does so without question.

If you use that kind of definition, then ATS is less than useless. It's a laughingstock of unsubstantiated paranoid delusions.

You know the anti-fear mongerers occasionally if quite often invent the fear in the first place. I guess by doing this they can then either post a disagreement or rebuttal which is completely fine, or launch an offensive unwarranted attack of sorts.

For example, one of the things i have noticed is that some threads, while foreboding, don't even carry a dooms day message. Yet someone will come on and accuse the thread starter with fear mongering, distort the OP to suggest it is heralding the end of the world, invoke the mods to ban the member and include a few insults to boot.

If the thread is so ridiculous to not be taken seriously, then I don't really understand why people are so afraid and then post accordingly. If someone posted "Brace for impact!! A fleet of alien craft approaching!" I would simply ignore it or read for personal entertainment. Nothing to be afraid of as I personally don't believe in aliens nor have any concern about meddling with such silly issues.

And as for people having a different opinion to me, I probably hold to one of the most unpopular world views on the forum so the vast vast vast majority of people disagree with me anyway and I'm fine with that.
edit on 7-12-2013 by surrealist because: formatting

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by surrealist

Ok..I think I understand now.
Perhaps it was the "anti-fear mongering" statement that lead me to the understanding that I had regarding the OP.

I interpret anti-fear mongering as something good.. lol ... Fear mongering is not

The intent of the OP, as I now understand it, is regarding attacks, often personal, regarding specific posts. IE: people being rude.

Whole nuther thing that...

My apologies.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Yes! Apologies accepted.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
One of the only reasons I still come to this site is BECAUSE there will be detractors in every thread. I LIKE that people seek to debunk even some of the stuff I believe. It keeps you open and thinking. It's important to consider evidence and opinion contrary to your own view(s). Because of the internet, we have a lot more access to information, thus behind the scenes occurrences that have made us realize the entire story isn't in the everyday media.

BUT - people have run with this without looking back and all that's happened is there is now another form of information/media that is just as irresponsible and untruthful as the original one. Things need to be vetted by others and considered by everyone.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

thebtheb
One of the only reasons I still come to this site is BECAUSE there will be detractors in every thread. I LIKE that people seek to debunk even some of the stuff I believe. It keeps you open and thinking. It's important to consider evidence and opinion contrary to your own view(s). Because of the internet, we have a lot more access to information, thus behind the scenes occurrences that have made us realize the entire story isn't in the everyday media.

BUT - people have run with this without looking back and all that's happened is there is now another form of information/media that is just as irresponsible and untruthful as the original one. Things need to be vetted by others and considered by everyone.

Great point, I enjoy a well presented counter argument, it makes my own research efforts that much more stringent.
And I learn a lot more as a result.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
All I see on this site is people using one-liners trying to be as clever as possible so they get stars. I'm not sure if you can actually have a full conversation or debate about anything on here anymore. Site used to be full of information now it's just full of little kids trying to say something funny.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   

thesaneone
Whats ruining this site is the cry babies that start a thread give an opinion then cry to the mods because they don't like someone else opinion.

Star.
The title of this thread is itself a cry for ridicule. "Anti fear mongerers?" What a laugh. As if being a fear monger is desireable.

And they're "ruining" the site as well!

Harte

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join