It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IS THERE ANY EVIDENCE JESUS EXHIBITED A SENSE OF HUMOR WITHIN THE NEW TESTAMENT GOSPELS?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
the2ofusr1
reply to post by vethumanbeing

the2ofusr1
I think I would like to have Daniel and Enoch.

Totally forgot about Enoch (yes); and in that vein, the priest of Salem, Melchisedek (maybe the same entity tho). Daniel or to my thinking David.
edit on 5-12-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   

I would say yes, but then again, I would say that wouldn’t I lol

Jesus seems to laugh quite a bit, according to the “Gospel of Judas”(I know, Holy Blasphemy right lol). He seems to have quite a good sense of humor IMO…

Here are a few verses…

From The Gospel of Judas

One day he was with his disciples in Judea, and he found them gathered together and seated in pious observance. When he [approached] his disciples, [34] gathered together
and seated and offering a prayer of thanksgiving over the bread, [he] laughed.
The disciples said to [him], “Master, why are you laughing at [our] prayer of thanks giving? We have done what is right.”
He answered and said to them, “I am not laughing at you. are not doing this because of your own will but because it is through this that your god [will be] praised.”

From The Gospel of Judas

His disciples said to him, “Lord, what is the great generation that is superior to us and holier than us, that is not now in these realms?”
When Jesus heard this, he laughed and said to them, “Why are you thinking in your hearts about the strong and holy generation?

From The Gospel of Judas

Judas said, “Master, as you have listened to all of them, now also listen to me. For I have seen a great vision.”
When Jesus heard this, he laughed and said to him, “You thirteenth spirit, why do you try so hard? But speak up, and I shall bear with you.”

- JC

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
DISRAELI

DISREALI
"If the blind man leads the blind, they will both fall into the ditch".
"As easy as getting a camel to go through the eye of a needle".
Those images were intended to be humorous.
He worked with humour, used it to grab the attention of the hearers.

Thankyou for that as these I do recall as a child. They sound like good standup oneliners in my soon to be modernday 'virtual' "religous Chucklehut Comedy Club' setting. (Joecroft or akushla99 would understand). These phrases also sound suspiciously like the beginnings of parables as in to speak to an eventual backwards forwards in time 'Psalms' interpretation. I have no idea what humor was as interpreted as in AD 1 (goat jokes?). Id like to hear from 'a man called'' eltontruebloodwhowroteawholebookonthesubject. My problem is if I dont already know who he is as he is not relevent to my understanding of God/Human/Creation. Perhaps a wake up call for me to pay attention to?

edit on 5-12-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

aboutface
I always got a kick out of the fishing story when Jesus told them to cast their nets on the other side. He could have sent the fish over to them after all, could He not? And when He walked on water I can't help but think He was smiling throughout.

Ive always wondered what the 'otherside' OF THE NET entailed (of course as a metaphor). If the mediterranean sea, TUNA would be the catch grab. Jesus walking on water leading them to the fishes or away as a conservationist green Jesus worried about the deplition of specie (tricky call).

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
ChesterJohn

ChesterJohn
Do a word study in your AV Bible on Rejoice, Rejoiced, Rejoicing you will find it enlightening. Humor could be serious type and casual type.

Sort of if you were on a human stage the rotten tomatos and eggs thrown (meaning the hardship of just feeding your family) or rejoice in something presented to you that you had no tangible idea of that being the existance of (an eternal spiritual existance).

ChesterJohn
God sure had one big laugh over Haman in the book of Esther, especially when he tripped and fell on the queen just a moment before the king came in. The king didn't think it funny though as he had him hung on the very gallows he prepared for Esther's uncle.

OOPS another unknown author (that of Esther).
Esther 8.6: Esther replied, "this wicked Haman is our enemy." then Haman grew pale with fright before the king and queen, 7: The king jumped to his feet and went out into the palace Garden as Haman stood up to plead for his life to Queen Esther, for he knew that he was doomed. 9: Then Harbona, one of the kings aides said 'Sir, Haman has just ordered a 75-foot gallows constructed to hang Mordecai, the man who saved the King from assassination, It stands in Hamans courtyard. "Hang Haman on it"; the king ordered. 10: And so they did, and the Kings wrath was pacified.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Elton Trueblood.
"The humor of Christ";
Harper & Row 1975.

Probably out of print by now, but often quoted. Second-hand copies may be available.

Two other absurd images which he quotes are the man with a whole plank in his eye, commenting on a speck of dust somewhere else, and the man who carefully filters out gnats but manages not to filter out an entire camel.

edit on 6-12-2013 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I wonder if Abraham Lincoln had a sense of humour. I am not comparing Honest Abe with JC, only the fact that central figures in history are not usually quoted for the jokes they make in a social context but rather for their serious one-liners at a political rally.

I'm sure Jesus would have had moments of laughter when he was in the comfort of good company. I'm sure Abe Lincoln would have had several moments of high humour when drinking whiskey and smoking cigars within the private company of friends.

How can one not jest when you have the ability to turn water into wine. Did Jesus not drink the wine. Does wine not encourage merriment.

For the time that Jesus was on earth was he not subject to human conditions. I cannot imagine that a man/God devoid of humour could inspire such loyalty amongst the masses if he did not inspire fear. And as far as I know, Jesus didn't inspire fear.

If God made man in his own image, then why do we laugh.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Trubeeleever

I'm a Trinitarian, and it is logical God would want to experience his own creation.

see how accurate it was...

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Since God and Jesus were involved in creating all animals, these two creatures make me think that they do have a sense of humor.

Proboscis Monkey

Platypus

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
sure He did (everything made for, by and through), one of my favorites- Ever used or heard the term "eat me"?

I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.
John 6

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
DISRAELI

DISRAELI
Elton Trueblood.
"The humor of Christ"; Harper & Row 1975.
Probably out of print by now, but often quoted. Second-hand copies may be available.

For anyone that needs out of print books, try this Company "Harvest Booksearch" www.HarvestBooks.com (fast free and guaranteed, dont know the what the free part is as Ive paid everytime Ive ordered.

DISRAELI
Two other absurd images which he quotes are the man with a whole plank in his eye, commenting on a speck of dust somewhere else, and the man who carefully filters out gnats but manages not to filter out an entire camel.

This is very abstract thinking on Jesus's part. Man with the speck in his eye is trying to remove it, (its actually a 4x8 sheet of plywood) that represents his spiritual blindness, or the gnat (still too big to get through the eye of needle remains a camel). Is he speaking of concepts or lack of enlightenment or both.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Trubeeleever

Trubeeleever
I wonder if Abraham Lincoln had a sense of humour. I am not comparing Honest Abe with JC, only the fact that central figures in history are not usually quoted for the jokes they make in a social context but rather for their serious one-liners at a political rally.

I have never thought of Lincoln as a 'human'; sort of a mythical Job figure (for his times). He had horrible times in his life before becoming president. Loss of his Law practice in Illinois, bankrupt more than once; married a mentally unstable wife, son dies by freak accident. He had a death dream before he was assasinated; he was left out in a small open boat in the elements to die alone. I really think he was a special being and wouldnt think anything of comparing him to JC; or actually being a reincarnation of.

Trueebeeliver
I'm sure Jesus would have had moments of laughter when he was in the comfort of good company. I'm sure Abe Lincoln would have had several moments of high humour when drinking whiskey and smoking cigars within the private company of friends.

Good company would be his supporters, policical cronies; much like his 'apostles' now that you mention it. He was in office for how long and Id equate that to the times of Jesus ministry. He aged spectacularly within that short timespan.

Trubeeleever
How can one not jest when you have the ability to turn water into wine. Did Jesus not drink the wine. Does wine not encourage merriment. For the time that Jesus was on earth was he not subject to human conditions. I cannot imagine that a man/God devoid of humour could inspire such loyalty amongst the masses if he did not inspire fear. And as far as I know, Jesus didn't inspire fear.

I wonder if he was 'afraid of his formidible father'; that entity not exactly the kindest of beings, was his father Yahweh (could explain any tacitern *bombast* reel back the funsterisms residual). We have humor, irony, satire and sardonism. Someone imbued us with these qualities of looking at ourselves without such serious introspection (something is managing our ego control).

Truebeeleever
If God made man in his own image, then why do we laugh.

Obviously we get the other joke he didnt intend. We as his audence neglect to laugh at his intended punchlines.
edit on 6-12-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Rustami
sure He did (everything made for, by and through), one of my favorites- Ever used or heard the term "eat me"?

I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.
John 6

The imbibe-me, consume-me concept has always struck me as particularly humourous (and not for any bawdy reasons)...a call to self-imposed spiritual possession, or unlocking (whichever) culminating in the passion-inspired 'walk-in-my-shoes' reverse Shadenfreude of the cross episode...perhaps more droll than humourous...but the meaning may have been lost on most, a kind of intellectual humour that has transpired as the sad-clown type...of course, the humour was there, but wholly overridden by the gnashing of teeth and sold tickets to hell, that epitomises the precis of a message diluted...I'm sure (VHB) the lifetime ticket holder to the Funster Club, was Jesus...but audiences can be a bitch...luckily there was some Blainish/Angelish/Copperfieldish change-oh/presto water to wine, walking on water acts to level the vaudeville out...and the one-liners for the Pythonists to rattle off with semi-serious facial expressions...are we all the straight-men/women?

Å99

Off-topic...VHB, I am getting Your PM's and responding...there may be a problem at Your end.
edit on 6-12-2013 by akushla99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Blue_Jay33

Blue_Jay33
Since God and Jesus were involved in creating all animals, these two creatures make me think that they do have a sense of humor.

Proboscis Monkey

Platypus

Dodo Bird as well, too bad the 'pushmepullyou' Llama from Dr.Doolittle doesnt also apply, couldnt in a real life scenario exist; so the human (in its ingenuity/imagination) makes them up to fill the humor gap in natures generally good design strategy of "eat or be eaten" Tribles, Gremlins, Furrbies, Monster Inc creations, muppets, Ventriloquist dummies.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
SisyphusRide
reply to post by Trubeeleever

SisyphusRide
I'm a Trinitarian, and it is logical God would want to experience his own creation. see how accurate it was.

It is absolutely logical we are Gods expression experiencing itself, as/in a low entropy dynamic (trying not to kill itself as everything speeds up). What is a Trinitarian (not heard of this as an organised system of belief) Father, Son, Holy Ghost (or spirit perhaps?).

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
akushla99
Rustami

Rustami
sure He did (everything made for, by and through), one of my favorites- Ever used or heard the term "eat me"? I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.
John 6

"eat me" is an epitaph (modern usage) usually said in CONTEMPT of another. Not sure Jesus would like this interpretation of bread breaking.

akushla99
The imbibe-me, consume-me concept has always struck me as particularly humourous (and not for any bawdy reasons)...a call to self-imposed spiritual possession, or unlocking (whichever) culminating in the passion-inspired 'walk-in-my-shoes' reverse Shadenfreude of the cross episode..

Doesnt so much strike my 'funnybone' as seeming to be oddly macabre; (human flesh is transmuted somehow into affecting Godliness by enjoying a nice slice of 'fleshy wonderbread' (little did you know). That and the drinking of wine as human blood; sounds suspiciously like a pagan sort of 'satanistic sacrifice' hey, is Satan Jesus OH THE TRICKERY (as you say a form of self imposed possession unwittingly? The 'walk in my shoes' equates to "YOU WILL SUFFER AS I HAVE" unknowingly.

akushla99
perhaps more droll than humourous...but the meaning may have been lost on most, a kind of intellectual humour that has transpired as the sad-clown type...of course, the humour was there, but wholly overridden by the gnashing of teeth and sold tickets to hell, that epitomises the precis of a message diluted...I'm sure (VHB) the lifetime ticket holder to the Funster Club, was Jesus...but audiences can be a bitch...luckily there was some Blainish/Angelish/Copperfieldish change-oh/presto water to wine, walking on water acts to level the vaudeville out...and the one-liners for the Pythonists to rattle off with semi-serious facial expressions...are we all the straight-men/women?

Not the sad clown that Red Skelton was famous for painting after he left the film industry? (paintings are worth a fortune--J.W.Gacy painted them as well). Someone within this thread said that Satan is the one providing the humor aspect and would support your idea of 'tickets to hell' (must be a funny venue though and all drinks are ON THE HOUSE BEFORE THE SHOW to guarantee it). There HAS to be a manipulator in house, Id pick Blaine over Angel (can see what hes doing before hes even attempted the false/fake illusion). Jesus as
'Jesus the comedian standup' (newly acquired profession). If dead panned in all seriousness to the audience "A camel will not fit through the eye of a needle" (could be funny to camel brokers).

A99
Off-topic...VHB, I am getting Your PM's and responding...there may be a problem at Your end.

Ok, good to hear.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Joecroft

Joecroft
I would say yes, but then again, I would say that wouldn’t I lol
Jesus seems to laugh quite a bit, according to the “Gospel of Judas”(I know, Holy Blasphemy right lol). He seems to have quite a good sense of humor IMO.

I would imagine the "Gospel of Jesus" and the "Gospel of Judas" would read as very much the same (if written by the same author). Holy blasphemy Batman.

Joecroft
Here are a few verses
From The Gospel of Judas

One day he was with his disciples in Judea, and he found them gathered together and seated in pious observance. When he [approached] his disciples, [34] gathered together
and seated and offering a prayer of thanksgiving over the bread, [he] laughed.
The disciples said to [him], “Master, why are you laughing at [our] prayer of thanks giving? We have done what is right.”
He answered and said to them, “I am not laughing at you. are not doing this because of your own will but because it is through this that your god [will be] praised.”

From The Gospel of Judas

His disciples said to him, “Lord, what is the great generation that is superior to us and holier than us, that is not now in these realms?”
When Jesus heard this, he laughed and said to them, “Why are you thinking in your hearts about the strong and holy generation?

From The Gospel of Judas

Judas said, “Master, as you have listened to all of them, now also listen to me. For I have seen a great vision.”
When Jesus heard this, he laughed and said to him, “You thirteenth spirit, why do you try so hard? But speak up, and I shall bear with you.”

You realize this is very subtle humor; fitting with the times. Somber but light hearted admonitions put in a way that is not insulting but more accepting of someone 'not yet getting it' and being alright with their progression. This is an expert skill demonstrated by a wise teacher/master; not to insult but to jest with what could be said to be childish ignorance (growth follows). Thankyou for sharing these passages Joe, I knew Jesus was a compassionate and patient teacher. Think I could book him for the "Chuckle Hut"? (could bring in great house revenue if he would use the water to wine trick) (dont worry, hes laughing at all of this).

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

TRINITY

"Trinitarian Order" is something in Catholicism, so they have use of the word trinity also... I don't know much about Catholics.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
SisyphusRide

TRINITY

SisyphusRide"Trinitarian Order" is something in Catholicism, so they have use of the word trinity also... I don't know much about Catholics.

I am more interested in your belief/interpretation (not the catholic divine trinity); there are others out that could speak to that, as they would have the Catholic understanding of its nature. What is a "Trinitarian Order"; I am always interested in such things that have not come up on my 'radar screen' because obviously I am in the need to know mode about potentially important 'popup ideaforms' (just like Christianity formed in its own baby step beginings).
edit on 7-12-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
SisyphusRide

vethumanbeing
I am from Central Services. Where are you from; I probably have your address on file if youve made ANY COMPLAINTS ABOUT YOUR SERVICES.

Sisyphusride
thank you CENTRAL... all's well, service is fine

I missed this earlier post; Robert DeNiro also appears with the long billed ball cap as a 'central services' employee (innocently knocking at the front door). Glad your services are fine (as there is impending danger affixed to the residence specific/owner of all complaint calls); hense a steam punk version of night vision goggles in this filmatic frame capture.That being the surprise midnight finding of the problem resulting in a total destruction of property.
edit on 7-12-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join