It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IS THERE ANY EVIDENCE JESUS EXHIBITED A SENSE OF HUMOR WITHIN THE NEW TESTAMENT GOSPELS?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
There are many other examples of a sense of comedic error (regarding the human and its understanding of what it is and its place within the God Texture/finding a similar path/understanding to walk with). These examples of humor exist within hindi/yogi teachings and their observations (very funny and insightful). Yogis are generally forthright and immoveable in their thought processes. Very different than the Western Idea of a Monotheistic bombasitic god and its meek Savior; western idea based upon ritual (repetition) and in so being continues to solidify (think of the lords prayer as one example of ritualistic architype building) concrete immovable paradigms. Did Jesus have a sense of humor and was it ever documented; or was his mission always percieved as one of dour serious maddness/saddness? Maybe he had moments of jesting, humorous laugh out loud RIBALDRY. Did he know he was to die? If so you would think hed have a unique perspective, (AT LEAST ONE THAT personally EXPRESSED THE 'IRONIC NATURE OF HIS SITUATION AS A SUICIDE MISSION TO forgive/save/take on the burden of MANKINDs sins/errors and absolve them). Was he just a motivational speaker, full of the upbeat energy of eternal life for all/hope instead? Forget any 'Jesus Christ Superstar' jokes, I know he wasnt a singing prophet in the Broadway money making tradition. I guess I just want to know if he was "HAPPY" in his ministry and what he might think about it all now after the fact and if HE thought it was worth his physical sacrifice.
edit on 5-12-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

vethumanbeing
the Western Idea of a Monotheistic god and its Savior; western idea based upon ritual (repetition)

logic flaw 101

where you from?

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by vethumanbeing

I don't know about Jesus, but GOD????

He most certainly has a sick sense of humor!!!

How else do you explain building a sewage plant right next to a playground?

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

"If the blind man leads the blind, they will both fall into the ditch".
"As easy as getting a camel to go through the eye of a needle".
Those images were intended to be humorous.
He worked with humour, used it to grab the attention of the hearers.

PS A man called Elton Trueblood wrote a whole book on the subject.
look for a copy.
edit on 5-12-2013 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

I don't think I have read anywhere that He laughed ... I can imagine God sitting in heaven and watching what Satan is going to do next and God leaning over to Michael and saying , watch this one ..... lol

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   

No. Humor and laughter both come from the devil. Same with smiling dancing eating favorite meals enjoying sex (even just to procreate you are supposed to be discusted by the very act) and singing anything other then the praises of the Lord. You must be extra serious in evrything you do as you are supposed to be ground to dirt in order to get to Heaven as life is misury. Lol sorry couldn`t help going into my old way of thinking to answer. That really was my mentality during childhood. I don`t really recall any blatant humour from the bible as with other religions haveing humor as easily acessible.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Sense of humor - the trait of appreciating (and being able to express) the humorous.

What Makes Something Funny/Humorous

Is something funny or not?

Charles Darwin himself suggested that humor is a crucial social cohesive, one of the primal forces that has bound tribes together throughout evolution [source: Gompertz]. One study found that we're 30 times more likely to laugh in the company of others than we are by ourselves [sources: Gompertz, Martin]. A recent study of chimps found that they will laugh with each other in the same ways we laugh during conversation in order to bond with other members of their group [source: Connor]

Other reasons for humor include the so-called "superiority theory," which claims that we laugh in the face of other people's misfortune (see: dumb blonde jokes and the show "Jackass"), as well as the relief theory, which asserts that "funny' is derived from fear. One study deliberately startled test subjects with a convincing fake rat, eliciting a lot of relieved laughter [source: Shurcliff].

Finally, a recent idea called the "benign violation theory" hypothesizes that we laugh when we're harmlessly violated. This could mean anything from tickling -- which most people hate but still laugh at -- to vulgar stereotype-based humor like Sarah Silverman's musings on race, sex and bodily functions. The hilarity hinges on our being properly distanced from the violation. We don't laugh when we tickle ourselves (or when we're tickled by a stranger) but we'll laugh when it's a friend doing the tickling [source: Warner].

At first glance, I"m not seeing it.

The bible talks about Jesus weeping; praying; bonding with friends and family; helping strangers; teaching; being serious - "amen, amen I tell you ... "; obeying his parents; .... but I see no 'laughing' or 'teasing' or anything like that. A sense of humor usually comes at someone or somethings expense. I can't picture Jesus teaching about the Kingdom of Heaven on minute, and then making fart jokes the next, or laughing at someone who falls on their backend and hurts themselves.

But who knows.
Obviously there was more going on with Jesus then got recorded in the gospels.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I always got a kick out of the fishing story when Jesus told them to cast their nets on the other side. He could have sent the fish over to them after all, could He not? And when He walked on water I can't help but think He was smiling throughout.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
FlyersFan

FlyersFan
Charles Darwin himself suggested that humor is a crucial social cohesive, one of the primal forces that has bound tribes together throughout evolution [source: Gompertz]. One study found that we're 30 times more likely to laugh in the company of others than we are by ourselves [sources: Gompertz, Martin]. A recent study of chimps found that they will laugh with each other in the same ways we laugh during conversation in order to bond with other members of their group [source: Connor]

So they laugh out of a recognision of a similar "dire" predicament, (humans accused of being Christians about to be crucified); they laugh because they recognise themselves within each other (mimicking) a social group they are trying to be part of but unfortunately its a nervous laugh by those accused of being Christian about to be crucified.

FlyersFan
Other reasons for humor include the so-called "superiority theory," which claims that we laugh in the face of other people's misfortune (see: dumb blonde jokes and the show "Jackass"), as well as the relief theory, which asserts that "funny' is derived from fear. One study deliberately startled test subjects with a convincing fake rat, eliciting a lot of relieved laughter [source: Shurcliff].

You forgot the Polish jokes of the 50s. Laughter as a release mechanism for the Polish Catholics about to be crucified after someone thought up the "how many Poles does it take to screw in a lightbulb" four, Pope John Paul II as the bulb and 3 Cardinals to turn his pulpit.

FlyersFan
Finally, a recent idea called the "benign violation theory" hypothesizes that we laugh when we're harmlessly violated. This could mean anything from tickling -- which most people hate but still laugh at -- to vulgar stereotype-based humor like Sarah Silverman's musings on race, sex and bodily functions. The hilarity hinges on our being properly distanced from the violation. We don't laugh when we tickle ourselves (or when we're tickled by a stranger) but we'll laugh when it's a friend doing the tickling [source: Warner].

Never found humor in gross matter functions; what is she embarrassed about, its the nature of being well, gross matter/perhaps she should no longer eat food but just breathe air (could still be an expelling of gaseous content).
Tickling is torture no doubt about it, instead of reckless stoning (could hurt innocent bystanders selling the tickets/ROCKS to the event attendies) tickle the offender to death, death by an involuntary dying of laughter.

FlyersFan
At first glance, I"m not seeing it.
The bible talks about Jesus weeping; praying; bonding with friends and family; helping strangers; teaching; being serious - "amen, amen I tell you ... "; obeying his parents; .... but I see no 'laughing' or 'teasing' or anything like that. A sense of humor usually comes at someone or somethings expense. I can't picture Jesus teaching about the Kingdom of Heaven on minute, and then making fart jokes the next, or laughing at someone who falls on their backend and hurts themselves.
But who knows. Obviously there was more going on with Jesus then got recorded in the gospels.

Im not seeing it either, obviously any internalized laughter was not one of "I can laugh at myself in my Egotism/ shortcomings" as that perspective is one we are all experienced with "Missed that opportunity for a better snappy Retort" sort of thing, or "I should have thought my sacrifice out fully (discussed it with friends and all could laugh at about or with the eventual outcome). Some humorous perspective may have applied as to the ulitimate decision making: RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
SisyphusRide

vethumanbeing
the Western Idea of a Monotheistic god and its Savior; western idea based upon ritual (repetition)

SysyphusRide
logic flaw 101
where you from?

I am from Central Services. Where are you from; I probably have your address on file if youve made ANY COMPLAINTS ABOUT YOUR SERVICES.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
seeker1963

seeker1963
I don't know about Jesus, but GOD????
He most certainly has a sick sense of humor!!!
How else do you explain building a sewage plant right next to a playground?

God UN-Definable/definitely has the most wicked sense of humor (hands down) regarding the shennanigans it perpetrates on the human (ITS CHERISHED CHILD/CREATION). God must suffer from 'Munchausens Syndrome' (lets see what diablical natural catastrophies I can apply next to cause harm and mayhem). Sewage Plant smuuaage plant (they need to turn surrounding properties into green parks and recreation projects--reclaimed water in the drinking fountains). If they were golf courses the greens wouldnt know the difference (fresh vs sewage reclaimed its a win win).

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
the2ofusr1

the2ofuser1
I don't think I have read anywhere that He laughed ... I can imagine God sitting in heaven and watching what Satan is going to do next and God leaning over to Michael and saying , watch this one ..... lol

So, who would you like sitting at your 'special dinner party' if you could invite any of these guests and they would at least bring wine? God in heaven comes with his brother Satan (not invited but you are a polite host and allow the crashing of), Michael with his pal St. Germaine (just appeasing those that think that latter person exists). Moses and Jesus would be on my invite list, Solomon; so would John the Babtist, Herod, Augustus Ceasar (for a take on what happened to his happy Roman Vision of owning the entire earth-realm didnt anticipate the Dutch, Spanish, French and English ingenuity regarding the spice trade), Caligula but only if he was Caged/restrained.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Do a word study in your AV Bible on Rejoice, Rejoiced, Rejoicing you will find it enlightening. Humor could be serious type and casual type.

God sure had one big laugh over Haman in the book of Esther, especially when he tripped and fell on the queen just a moment before the king came in. The king didn't think it funny though as he had him hung on the very gallows he prepared for Esther's uncle.

edit on 5-12-2013 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Yes Christ has a sense of humour.

I mean, think about when he sang "Always look on the bright side of life" when he was on the cross.

You can't tell me that was the singing of a solemn man.. He was having a laugh on the way out.

What a trooper!

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
nergalbanda1

nergalbanda1
No. Humor and laughter both come from the devil. Same with smiling dancing eating favorite meals enjoying sex (even just to procreate you are supposed to be discusted by the very act) and singing anything other then the praises of the Lord.

So to your mindset the Devil is a positive force in engendering laughter, smiling, dancing and eating of lifes buffet of splendiforousness (AND THE ADDED ATTRACTION OF THE OPPOSITE SEX). Praise the Lord as he created Satan (in his own image), well as his bad side enjoying the human life joys and suffering EQUALLY FAIR AND SQUARE.

Nergalbanda1
You must be extra serious in evrything you do as you are supposed to be ground to dirt in order to get to Heaven as life is misury. Lol sorry couldn`t help going into my old way of thinking to answer. That really was my mentality during childhood. I don`t really recall any blatant humour from the bible as with other religions haveing humor as easily acessible.

Im already of the 'clayform' (genesis something explains this) so Ive jumped that hurdle. Im not sure Gods plan (unless he is the ultimate comedian) is for us to suffer our eternal life in misery. This life as a human is supposed to be fraught with TESTS so that you may progress your soul THAT IS ALL its a temporary INSANITY condition. I wish there were more humor in religious teachings, I could have started this thread with another MORE DEEPLY DIRE QUESTION: WHY DONT IMAMS HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR? (because they take themselves too seriously). At least Nergalbanda1, we as having or accepting of traditions can laugh at ourselves for believing in them or questioning in irony why we have them in the first place.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   

vethumanbeing
I am from Central Services. Where are you from; I probably have your address on file if youve made ANY COMPLAINTS ABOUT YOUR SERVICES.

thank you CENTRAL... all's well, service is fine

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Poster was being sarcastic and commenting on the mindset of Christians generations ago.
edit on 5-12-2013 by DelayedChristmas because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-12-2013 by DelayedChristmas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   

I think I would like to have Daniel and Enoch .

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   

winofiend
Yes Christ has a sense of humour.
I mean, think about when he sang "Always look on the bright side of life" when he was on the cross.
You can't tell me that was the singing of a solemn man.. He was having a laugh on the way out.
What a trooper!

I hope so, really feel for the man; the laments reportly said seem very 'not to apply' to a circumstantial being tortured on a cross (I hear it was wheel actually; much cheaper to roll around and re-use not having to be planted in the rocky terrain, what a chore lugging/dragging a T-Bar around). Principle lament: "My wounds will remain open by those that defame me" not very positive spoken by the savior for Man that trusted in his God. A better lament would be (sing along) "better to know me better to know all about me..."

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

vethumanbeing
There are many other examples of a sense of comedic error (regarding the human and its understanding of what it is and its place within the God Texture/finding a similar path/understanding to walk with). These examples of humor exist within hindi/yogi teachings and their observations (very funny and insightful). Yogis are generally forthright and immoveable in their thought processes. Very different than the Western Idea of a Monotheistic bombasitic god and its meek Savior; western idea based upon ritual (repetition) and in so being continues to solidify (think of the lords prayer as one example of ritualistic architype building) concrete immovable paradigms. Did Jesus have a sense of humor and was it ever documented; or was his mission always percieved as one of dour serious maddness/saddness? Maybe he had moments of jesting, humorous laugh out loud RIBALDRY. Did he know he was to die? If so you would think hed have a unique perspective, (AT LEAST ONE THAT personally EXPRESSED THE 'IRONIC NATURE OF HIS SITUATION AS A SUICIDE MISSION TO forgive/save/take on the burden of MANKINDs sins/errors and absolve them). Was he just a motivational speaker, full of the upbeat energy of eternal life for all/hope instead? Forget any 'Jesus Christ Superstar' jokes, I know he wasnt a singing prophet in the Broadway money making tradition. I guess I just want to know if he was "HAPPY" in his ministry and what he might think about it all now after the fact and if HE thought it was worth his physical sacrifice.

I'm sure he experienced the vast emotional spectrum a regular human does. If not, why make the decision to be in a human vessel?

If he didn't think his physical sacrifice was worth it, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be here today.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join