It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ALL MEMBERS: Chat will die soon…

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
At least, our current provider will turn us off.

The last time it was "turned off," was because their "sales representative" emails urging me to pay for another month went to my spam/junk folder… never saw them.

So I believed to have paid for one year of reoccurring service based on a link provided from their sales support -- all content on that page described one year of services.

Now they're threatening to turn us off again unless I pay for another month.

I'm looking for viable alternatives, which may end up going back to requiring Flash to use. The good news is that both leading solutions under consideration have audio chat as an option, which provides the possibility of better integration with ATS Live.

But ATS Chat may "go dark" between the time our current provider turns it off, and we get a new one.

For the record -- we will not host live chat on our systems. It's too much of a risk. So we're only looking at hosted solutions.

More as I know it.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

The last time it was "turned off," was because their "sales representative" emails urging me to pay for another month went to my spam/junk folder… never saw them.

Come now...if you need a little help just ask.

I will form a Chat Charity committee immediately, as it's a MUST.

Updates to follow!

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Why not just make an IRC chat? You can embed a free web client to the site if you like, and it's not a paid service.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I think we should just all go old school and get carrier pigeons

Anyone else?
edit on 5-12-2013 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
as you're aware i guess, i've got an opensourced flash-based irc client if you'll need one. the drawback is lack of voice support, but that can be added. hosted solution isn't a problem either, it can be hosted on github or anywhere, and i'm a co-admin of one irc network actually, so you wouldn't need to run your own if you don't want to.

just drop me a PM.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

ShadeWolf
Why not just make an IRC chat?

That's never an option.

Most hosting solutions providers -- ours included -- do not allow hosted websites to use or link to anything IRC related.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadeWolf

there's a html5 vs flash problem. if you want one with voice chat, you definitely will want flash, and such solutions are rarely free, at least those ready to use.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

SkepticOverlord

ShadeWolf

That's never an option.

Most hosting solutions providers -- ours included -- do not allow hosted websites to use or link to anything IRC related.

that's insane, gently speaking. most custom chat solutions are more or less based on IRC protocol. the fact that you're using a webchat based on IRC shouldn't be a problem at all.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Geese, I didn't even realize we had chat. Oh well, I guess I won't miss it then. If I try it I may get hooked on it, that would be bad.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Maybe 2% of ATS members actually use the chat anyway. You're not missing much.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

SkepticOverlord

ShadeWolf

That's never an option.

wow Ive never heard that before, I've had a few servers myself and I know most hosting providers wont let you host a IRC server (because IRC servers tend to get DDOS'd alot). But it's strange to hear they wont even allow you to link to a 3rd party hosted one.
edit on 5/12/13 by Kr0nZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

I just asked tech at my host, bluehost. Com and they said it was not a problem. Never heard that one before. If you pay for bandwidth why would they have issue....

The Bot

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
So this means more Live get Together's in 2014? Great!

On a serious side, sounds like a good time to quit that rip off host.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I'd use Chat all the time except that I don't have Flash. Accommodate those of us without it and voila.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Have to add that some of the most endearing times have been on chat. I loved having that option for real time emergencies and support when I needed it most. I never learned how to make my words in rainbow like a few members did...

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

OtherSideOfTheCoin

Anyone else?

Sounds good. I have some so I am in.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   

OtherSideOfTheCoin

Anyone else?

Pigeons, smoke signals and drumbeats

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Don't understand much of the techno mumbo-jumbo.
Got to say it won't make a difference to me - despite numerous attempts I haven't been able to correctly gain access to Chat for probably a couple of years now.
That's probably down to me be something of an incompetent simpleton rather than any other failing.

Still, I hope a solution that meets everyone's requirements is reached soon - never know I might be able to work out how to gain access and even contribute.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I have no face. IRC linking at all not allowed? That's absurd. I see no valid reason for it, if there is a chat system at all.

I mean, all of the USTREAM stuff is IRC.. we link there all the time when things go off, or nasa do something.

Either way, there is nothing stopping people who want to, in going to IRC to make an #ATS channel, or various channels, or someone starting their own irc server with channels corresponding to the different forums..

just probably wouldnt be able to link it from here in public..

but irc servers are free. and most web browsers have some sort of irc client ability, or there is mIrc. or whatever your preference.

I am just an old IRC fanboy.. lol.

and as long as you are not on dalnet or undernet I cant see it being an issue, and other decent irc servers have their own ddos protection..

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
if IRC is not allowed? then what about jabber?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join