It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global-warming ‘proof’ is evaporating

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   

The 2013 hurricane season just ended as one of the five quietest years since 1960. But don’t expect anyone who pointed to last year’s hurricanes as “proof” of the need to act against global warming to apologize; the warmists don’t work that way.
Warmist claims of a severe increase in hurricane activity go back to 2005 and Hurricane Katrina. The cover of Al Gore’s 2009 book, “Our Choice: A Plan to Solve the Climate Crisis,” even features a satellite image of the globe with four major hurricanes superimposed.
Yet the evidence to the contrary was there all along. Back in 2005 I and others reviewed the entire hurricane record, which goes back over a century, and found no increase of any kind. Yes, we sometimes get bad storms — but no more frequently now than in the past. The advocates simply ignored that evidence — then repeated their false claims after Hurricane Sandy last year.

Read more here.

All the points brought up in this article are very easy to comprehend. It seems as if people have stopped arguing about this and they just believe what they want to believe. Everything points to normal cycles. Nature doing it's thing. Shouldn't the IPCC refocus their massive efforts to reducing pollution for the obvious reason, instead of fabricating more alarmist data to frighten folks into spending money on carbon credits?

I cannot help but think, the alarmists have been scammed by the ones they trusted. And it's still going on.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

It happens all the time, fear motivates people. They don't even have to understand what they fear just as long as they are given a few snippets of information (that don't even have to be right) to repeat to keep the fear going.

People are funny.

There is not enough data recorded over time to say for sure that the weather is acting crazy.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
To me personally the whole global warming story didn't ad up at all! Not when i was a kid and first heard about it in school back in the late 80's but also on later age, it just somehow didn't feel very good and honest. Because back than I already knew about the Neanderthalers and other species of human-like beings that have had to battle with the ages of ice.

Where I grew up you had lots of dolmens in the area and some archaeologists that I spoke to as a kid already told me that there would be another ice age eventually.

I hope the new generation of ids will not fall for the bull# story they are trying to sell to the people. Because if they fall for it, it could seriously mean the end of our species, the human (homo sapiens).

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I keep on saying this.
Global Warming will never sell.

The focus should be on pollution control on the global scale.

And how out of control pollution can cause health issues and birth defects.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   

network dude

The 2013 hurricane season just ended as one of the five quietest years since 1960. But don’t expect anyone who pointed to last year’s hurricanes as “proof” of the need to act against global warming to apologize; the warmists don’t work that way.
Warmist claims of a severe increase in hurricane activity go back to 2005 and Hurricane Katrina. The cover of Al Gore’s 2009 book, “Our Choice: A Plan to Solve the Climate Crisis,” even features a satellite image of the globe with four major hurricanes superimposed.
Yet the evidence to the contrary was there all along. Back in 2005 I and others reviewed the entire hurricane record, which goes back over a century, and found no increase of any kind. Yes, we sometimes get bad storms — but no more frequently now than in the past. The advocates simply ignored that evidence — then repeated their false claims after Hurricane Sandy last year.

Read more here.

All the points brought up in this article are very easy to comprehend. It seems as if people have stopped arguing about this and they just believe what they want to believe. Everything points to normal cycles. Nature doing it's thing. Shouldn't the IPCC refocus their massive efforts to reducing pollution for the obvious reason, instead of fabricating more alarmist data to frighten folks into spending money on carbon credits?

I cannot help but think, the alarmists have been scammed by the ones they trusted. And it's still going on.

Apparently you have already forgotten Typhoon Haiyan. If the wind speeds are confirmed, it will be the most serious typhoon/hurricane on record. It had sustained winds of 195 mph for over a minute.

One summer in the Atlantic Basin does not indicate anything.

There is more than one hurricane basin in the world. And while it was quiet this year for the Atlantic Basin, over all, the past decade has seen more than its fair share of monster storms. There have been a lot of record breaking storms in the past decade.

The central pacific basin, which is supposed to see very little activity, now sees so much that they had to build a hurricane center in Hawaii.

The south Atlantic, which isn't supposed to have hurricanes at all, saw its first hurricane in 2004.

GW skeptics are as uneducated as evolution skeptics. They refute all information that supports GW, and cling to every opinion and blog that supports them.

You scream that there is no connection between GW and hurricanes, but the one quiet season in the Atlantic Basin, scream that it is proof that GW doesn't exist.

Cherry picking at its worst.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Everything points to normal cycles. Nature doing it's thing.

The one question that skeptics never answer...

What drives the natural cycles?

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   

nixie_nox

The Sun and orbit of the Earth.

There, answered. Next question?

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I am not scared of global warming or even an ice age. I just notice that weather patterns are changing and see the changes occuring in the ocean water chemistry. If our ignorance to common sense kills us off, then we deserve to go extinct.

Overmining and Fracking are probably causing changes in the geomagnetic fiels of the earth. This could cause weird weather changes more than CO2 levels increasing do. Both should be done responsibly though, they both need to be addressed by worldwide governments. Taxing something does not do anything to fix this, it only helps to have help money available to repair damages that occur. The unnatural chemistry of the sewer water and chemicals leaching out of dumps don't help. Sewer water discharged is only tested for certain chemistry and microbe activity, most things are ignored.

Is climate change real....Yes, our weather seems to be screwed up in areas around the country. Is it all from CO2 emissions like they are pushing...absolutely not. There are many reasons that are just as important. Most of these are from man's activity on the planet though. You can't cut most of the trees down in an area and expect the weather to be the same. There is no common sense in the people, everyone just wants to have a job to make money.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I just notice that weather patterns are changing and see the changes occuring in the ocean water chemistry. If our ignorance to common sense kills us off, then we deserve to go extinct.

That's more like it!
Climate change is something I can get behind. For sure it is changing and it always will. The Earth is an ecosystem and they change constantly. If we kill our race, the Earth will continue on. I do believe that people deserve to be extinct.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

nixie...the only way GW skeptics will change their mind is when global weather catastrophes actually start happening over a continual sustained time period...in other words, the actual science can't replace movie like disasters...it's like in the regions where they get hit by tornadoes, they only build underground shelters when there is death and destruction that they experience first hand....then towns and cities somehow find the money to build them, especially when children die.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I need to add a variable to the equation that nobody ever considers.If you consider the population today versus 100 years ago,you see they used wood or coal for heat when needed.Today we use fossil fuels for not only power plants,but for water heaters,furnaces,etc.How many cars were on the road 100 yrs ago? Each car,ignoring the fuel and emissions,makes 230 degree's of heat just running.If you have a city of 1 million driving around,you have 1 million 230 degree heat sources.Add to that water heaters,Air conditioning or heat,then toss in the concrete "heat island" effect.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Krakatoa

nixie_nox

No. The question is not answered. If you want to attribute our current climate change to the sun and our orbit around it... where are we in Milankovitch Cycle and what climate changes should we be experiencing based on our current orbit and tilt... what is the sun doing that our planet should be warming up?

Please go on and show how ignorant of basic science we 'alarmists' are. I bet you don't answer.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Kali74

Krakatoa

nixie_nox

No. The question is not answered. If you want to attribute our current climate change to the sun and our orbit around it... where are we in Milankovitch Cycle and what climate changes should we be experiencing based on our current orbit and tilt... what is the sun doing that our planet should be warming up?

Please go on and show how ignorant of basic science we 'alarmists' are. I bet you don't answer.

Do you really want to go down this road with me....AGAIN? As I stated to you in this other thread here, with actual climate data from multiple sources....the link to anthropomorphic warming is not borne out from the raw data at this time.
Global Warming Slowdown Is Not Good News

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

The sun. It goes through it's own cycles of activity. We are just coming off a period of unusually high solar activity and are heading into a period of lower than normal activity. The higher than normal solar activity peaked around solar cycle 19.

You might remember that it was observed that all the planets in our solar system also displayed warmer climates, too?

The Earth has a lag response due to the atmosphere and the oceans which take time to build up and then store a lot of heat. Then that heat bleeds off as energy in the decadal oscillation cycles (AMO and PDO). Both of those engines operate independently on different periodicities. Right now, we have a cool PDO and a warm AMO which is the same climate pattern we had in the 1950s. We also had similar weather conditions in the '50s - Midwestern drought, Atlantic coastal hurricanes like Sandy.

The sun is now entering a period of decreased activity. It has taken time for the heat our earth built up to start bleeding off. This is why we've had a halt in global warming. There hasn't been new energy coming in. In fact, less energy has been coming in, but it's been equaled by the energy going out. If the solar theories are correct, it won't be too long before the global temps should start to come down. Within the next two or three years.

Natural cycles.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Krakatoa

You did not answer the questions.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
This is a misconception, and I bet statistics like this are a skeptics wet dream. Haha.

The reality is this; call it what you will, But the Earths jet-streams are shifting. These winds that circle the globe are responsible for the movement of weather patterns, and the formations of Tropical Cyclones/Hurricanes. - This rapidly increasing abnormality is making things extremely unpredictable and it's becoming more and more difficult to forecast exactly what might take place year in and year out.

The lack of activity this year during the Atlantic Hurricane season, can be tied to just that; the jet-stream. Despite a promising pre-season outlook, above average wind shear, and extremely dry air coming off the coast of Africa pretty much inhibited the formation of Tropical Cyclones.

Does this mean Climate Change doesn't exist? Absolutely not.

In fact, it would take a dull mind to use a decrease in Hurricane frequency as evidence in opposition to the reality of Climate Change. These record highs and record lows are an indication of the changes that are currently taking place all over the world. If you can't see that, then I don't know what to tell you.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Kali74

You did not answer the questions.

According to the T&C's here at ATS, it is frowned upon to cross post from one thread to another (I have been reminded of that by mods in the past). The answer is in that thread that I linked to in the previous post. The data is all there, and shows that the current short lived warming trend, that is now beginning to subside it no different that the same one 11,000 years ago. In fact the one 11,000 years ago (prior to the rise of the human population and massive burning of fossil fuels) was actually much warmer for much longer periods.

How an that happen if the factors claimed by AGW supporters was never even there?

Now if you refuse to read the posts there, again, where I answered this same question, then there is no point in continuing this conversation.

ETA: I will cross-post the graphs here. For the verbal description, I highly recommend if anyone is interested, they should visit the thread in question for the full answer.
Global Warming Slowdown Is Not Good News

edit on 12/5/2013 by Krakatoa because: Fixed spelling and other fat-finger errors

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   

ketsuko

The sun. It goes through it's own cycles of activity. We are just coming off a period of unusually high solar activity and are heading into a period of lower than normal activity. The higher than normal solar activity peaked around solar cycle 19.

You might remember that it was observed that all the planets in our solar system also displayed warmer climates, too?

The Earth has a lag response due to the atmosphere and the oceans which take time to build up and then store a lot of heat. Then that heat bleeds off as energy in the decadal oscillation cycles (AMO and PDO). Both of those engines operate independently on different periodicities. Right now, we have a cool PDO and a warm AMO which is the same climate pattern we had in the 1950s. We also had similar weather conditions in the '50s - Midwestern drought, Atlantic coastal hurricanes like Sandy.

The sun is now entering a period of decreased activity. It has taken time for the heat our earth built up to start bleeding off. This is why we've had a halt in global warming. There hasn't been new energy coming in. In fact, less energy has been coming in, but it's been equaled by the energy going out. If the solar theories are correct, it won't be too long before the global temps should start to come down. Within the next two or three years.

Natural cycles.

How do you figure we have just come off a period of unusually high solar activity when we've actually been in a very long minimum?

Where has it been observed that all the planets are displaying warming climates? Do you know how solar irradiance works? Do you understand that for Neptune to be warming due to increased solar output that we on Earth would have to be burned to a crisp long before then?

The issue with current global warming has never been about increased energy from the sun, the sun hasn't been putting out more energy... the issue has always been how much of that energy isn't escaping back into space.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   

nixie_nox

Cherry picking at its worst.

Link to over 100 years of major hurricanes in just the US.

This isn't cherry picking, it's history. Something the alarmist should look into. If you were a real go getter, you could look even further back and see that in fact, mother nature has been this way for quite some time. And did so even without us. Hummm......curious that?

Why not put down the global warming/climate change sword and pick up the reduce pollution sword? I hear the second one may even exist.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

You still have not answered the questions I asked you. You gave a quick, condescending answer to Nixie as if she were a child... you stated that global warming is as simple as Earths orbit around the sun. I asked you to explain why our current orbit explains our current climate change. Can you answer the questions or not?
edit on 12/5/2013 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join