It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Presidential Powers and the Constitution, House Judiciary Committee Hearing

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
House Judiciary Committee Holds Hearings on Presidential Powers and the Constitution

A President came on television and rewrote law all by himself as passed by Congress for political expediency in order to cover his parties seats in the upcoming 2014 mid-term elections. This was done boldly on national television and in this members view is a blatantly unconstitutional act. Especially egregious in light of this Presidents strident support of the law in the first place.

The administration has a history of picking and choosing what laws it wants to ignore based solely on partisan political grounds. Allowing these matters to stand in this members opinion sets a very bad precedent to be abused in an almost unlimited fashion in the future by this and follow on administrations.

In a non-partisan fashion these actions should disturb all readers even if you support the results of these dictates if left standing. This will lead to a dictatorial Presidency which for all practical purposes bypass's the protections afforded by the Constitution - I don't see how anybody could support going down that road at all.

C-SPAN Video Library

Legal scholars testified on the constitutionality of some of President Obama’s uses of executive branch powers. They focused on the administration’s one-year delay of the Affordable Care Act’s employer mandate, the Justice Department’s decision to not prosecute some drug cases, and the president’s decision allowing work permits for some immigrants who were brought to the United States illegally as children.

Zerohedge

Executive orders have played a part in everything from the non-enforcement of the Defense of Marriage Act to the administration’s “fix” two weeks ago allowing insurance providers to renew policies cancelled after the implementation of the Affordable Care Act.

Folks this is rule by decree we're looking at here. Michael Cannon, Cato Institute, gave testimony that included the possibility of the destruction of our form of government by the last constitutional means left to the people - rebellion against tyranny, if this rule by decree is taken to it fullest extent - basically no other recourse will exist is how I took meaning of his testimony.

While not in agreement with Obamas policies as properly carried out through congressional legislation I will have to accept until another round of voting comes along. The wholesale ignoring of the separation of powers and usurpation of authority not granted by the constitution is unacceptable by him or any other President.

edit on 3-12-2013 by Phoenix because: sp

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Well we were warned.....

by Obama himself no less.

People need to wake up to the totalitarianism.

Obama is very dangerous right now.

He has way too many failures and disgraces.

He will get more wicked soon. He isn't finished with us yet.

Obama: "Fundamentally Transforming the United States of America"

Here is what Candidate Obama wanted for our country when he was running for President of the United States of America. He said that "we are five days away from fundamentally transforming the United States of America."

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I have a feeling this will just be more talk and no action.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix

Is that the Cato video? Michael Cannon? Well worth the watch if it is as he highlights poignantly his case.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   

ownbestenemy
reply to post by Phoenix

Is that the Cato video? Michael Cannon? Well worth the watch if it is as he highlights poignantly his case.

Its full cspan video, please post Cannons video if you have it as it would make a nice addition to the discussion. I think he gave best warning of long term ramifications of whats going on at WH.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix

I can post a link and I would encourage all to follow it.

Michael Cannon Congressional Hearing

To those that cannot watch, Cannon points out Article II, Section 3 of the Constitution. That section reads as follows in part:

...he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed...

It is well worth the watch and worth to fact check...in which should be fun to see on this site.
edit on 3-12-2013 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

Here is more....
More about "presidental powers"....

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

OBE, thanks for posting that vid I'll watch it shortly and comment,

The stage is being set for the "I" word later by getting the testimony into record.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I am going to have to look into this more. I am not disagreeing with the info and I am all in favor of stripping the executive of any illegal powers granted to it however the Cato Institute is nothing but a Koch family creation so I cant help but feel this is a bit biased which would be no different than if it were Soros. Just have to figure out the agenda here which is most likely to blame one piece of bird cage liner for the droppings of past birds. On another note I am sure that Cato would be quite appalled.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

NihilistSanta
I am going to have to look into this more. I am not disagreeing with the info and I am all in favor of stripping the executive of any illegal powers granted to it however the Cato Institute is nothing but a Koch family creation so I cant help but feel this is a bit biased which would be no different than if it were Soros. Just have to figure out the agenda here which is most likely to blame one piece of bird cage liner for the droppings of past birds. On another note I am sure that Cato would be quite appalled.

The "Cato" links are "CSPAN" snippets and do not offer their commentary.....they are what they are.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Yes but Cannon works for the Cato institute and represents the think tanks findings most likely or am I mistaken?

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
The long and the short of it is this.

The Executive branch DOES NOT make law, they enforce the laws that are on the books.

If the Executive branch does not like a law, they have veto power before it becomes law or retroactively they can sue and bring the case before the supreme court whose job it is to interpret if the law can be upheld based on one thing.... The Constitution of the United States.

The executive branch's decision to openly declare it will selectively enforce laws it agrees with and completely ignore laws it doesn't is not within it's power to do. Despite many people, some of considerable note saying this for some time, the love of the promised "liberal paradise" was just too ingrained in some to realize what was happening was actually unlawful, un american and technically, impeachable.

Why then do we find ourselves where we are at? Well, while you can certainly put a fair share of burden on Obama because he is without a doubt a staunch want to be dictator, we can't really skip over Bush either because he is responsible for all of this even becoming possible in the first place.

It starts with the Patriot Act, a law that can not be because it conflicts directly and unquestionably with a higher law, the Constitution, yet it persists. It has been furthered by endless funding and spending in the amassing of federally controlled military personnel by way of the DHS, NSA and TSA. These agencies continue to purchase, stockpile and consume massive amounts of military grade equipment, firearms, vehicles and bullets at the cost of billions of dollars per year despite the fact they have no mandate for war, at all..........?

Executive orders seem like dictation because they are. The rule of law has been lost to America and the majority of "law makers" and those in Washington do not honor the authority of the Constitution nor do they even bother following the spirit or general outline. Those in office currently simply pretend it doesn't exist or use the massive amount of government sponsored media to demonize anyone that would suggest what we have fast become. (Note I didn't say becoming because that ship has sailed).

If somebody doesn't wake up soon that can get us together and able to speak in one voice we are going to be in a whole lot of trouble because despite what you individually may think, we are realistically at the end of the rope. This government is putting the finishing touches on the measures to shut down dissenters fast and furious and I fear that in 5 short years, we will absolutely resemble pre war Nazi Germany far more than that of the old United States.

Look around, do some research, don't take my word for it, just do whatever you have to do before it's too late.
edit on 3-12-2013 by Helious because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by NihilistSanta

He does, but his background is quite diverse from what I have read. Just because he writes for a certain group doesn't negate his views. I am looking at his reasoning, not his affiliation.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I have had this concern rolling in my head of and on but incessantly for more than a week now.

The House of Rep have become impotent. They are stalled, ignored and laughed at by the Executive branch with no backlash from the House.

Obama has taken executive privilege far beyond what Bush did.

And now with a push from the left for 'no term limits on presidents' the consequences are beyond anything the constitution intended.

It doesn't matter which side we are on, the mindset of this administration is disastrous for this Republic.

For the first (no second...briefly with Bush 2) I truly fear a coming dictatorship in our government.

With the left packed with people who will do anything to keep power and who break laws and totally ignore the constitution we are doomed if the at least the congress doesn't grow a pair and speak for the people.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I find this attempt to demonize the executives alone a little #ty. There are laws on the books now Ill bet the people DO NOT WANT executed, let alone have them remain on the books for him or her to execute.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Well Obama promised the American people they'd "get the government they deserve." At the time, it sounded like a glorious promise, eh" Sounds more like a threat now.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   

NihilistSanta

Yes but Cannon works for the Cato institute and represents the think tanks findings most likely or am I mistaken?

If you watch the short video provided and posted by ownbestenemy you may be surprised by Cannons opening statement where he testifies he supported Obama in 08' and wax's poetic about some social initiatives.

The CSpan video is the hearing in its entirety where Cannon was but one witness testifying.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   

liveandlearn
And now with a push from the left for 'no term limits on presidents' the consequences are beyond anything the constitution intended.

It doesn't matter which side we are on, the mindset of this administration is disastrous for this Republic.

The Constitution never intended a limit on terms for the Executive....so what is your point? The Executive is only perceived to have as much power as the People seem to give them; even though they do not have the power delegated towards them; regardless of the limit on their terms...

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Nephalim
I find this attempt to demonize the executives alone a little #ty. There are laws on the books now Ill bet the people DO NOT WANT executed, let alone have them remain on the books for him or her to execute.

S&F on you. This is what I was getting at a bit. You are absolutely right we have ways of taking care of this if only they were enforced. The problem is that I see all of this disregard for the laws in place as a means to push to have the laws/constitution rewritten which will only erode our rights further as they sneak in legislature absolving themselves of wrong doing and granting more power. This is a combined attack from the left and the right.

*Just noticed I misread what I quoted but my point still stands.
edit on 3-12-2013 by NihilistSanta because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Phoenix

NihilistSanta

If you watch the short video provided and posted by ownbestenemy you may be surprised by Cannons opening statement where he testifies he supported Obama in 08' and wax's poetic about some social initiatives.

The CSpan video is the hearing in its entirety where Cannon was but one witness testifying.

Thank you. I am unable to view the video currently but will later.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Nephalim

Changing or removing laws is power given to Congress by our Constitution and is not authorized for the Executive to do so. Especially when it comes to spending or taxation.

As has been cited by Obama supporters on ATS many times the Supreme Court weighed in and made law of the land - a law the Supreme Court decided was a TAX - Only Congress has the power of revenue and taxation legislation right?

Obama has therefore modified tax and spending decisions by decree where he has no Constitutional authority to do so - therefore Obama has violated his sworn oaths and duties as the head of the executive branch.

There is a pattern of this on many other issues and one has to remember Obama himself was professor of Constitutional law which indicates a willful act when violating the document he's supposedly an expert on.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join