It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Too many lazy `what if` type threads on ATS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Okay it`s getting to the point now where almost every thread in the ufo or paranormal forums consist of a theme similar to `if an alien lands what would you do`

Or in other forums such as current events, threads like `if you win the power ball lottery what would you do`.

They are all theoretical/ hypothetical, what if type threads, which whilst they made be interesting for chit chat, on one hand, but on the other hand, they are lazy (anyone can make a what if thread about anything), and distract from the actual point of the forums which is to discuss actual happenings and experiences.

I am all in favour of a good old `what would you do if an alien landed on your yard` discussion, but when there are so many of these hypothetical type threads, and very little threads on actual cases, or very few threads which look like somebody has actually taken the time to put a bit of research or thought into it, it does get frustrating after a while.
edit on 3-12-2013 by mlifeoutthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Does this indicate there is a lot of lazy people on Ats. What % percentage work mabey 15% with the rest on couch sitting duties.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by mlifeoutthere

What if the mods re-opened your intro thread so I could add my yummy thoughts of bacon?

In all seriousness, I have to agree with you, but ... I just skip the threads that don't interest me. Am surprised by how much good stuff I miss and see on a comeback.

I just don't know.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Snarl

What if the mods re-opened your intro thread so I could add my yummy thoughts of bacon?

In all seriousness, I have to agree with you, but ... I just skip the threads that don't interest me. Am surprised by how much good stuff I miss and see on a comeback.

I just don't know.

It isnt so much that they are not interesting, they ARE interesting, hearing what people would do if an alien became president etc, (im sure i saw one thread about that once), but they have no actual relevance or help to ufology, or the reason where there is a ufo forum on ats in the first place which is to enlighten or at least try to enlighten people a bit on the actual happenings

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 05:13 AM
link   

ATS is a big place. There are lots of threads on different subjects because there are lots of different people with different interests. It's a discussion board so let people discuss what they want to. If you don't like 'what if' threads ... then just ignore them and move on to others. Let people have their fun. It doesn't hurt anything.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 05:19 AM
link   

FlyersFan

ATS is a big place. There are lots of threads on different subjects because there are lots of different people with different interests. It's a discussion board so let people discuss what they want to. If you don't like 'what if' threads ... then just ignore them and move on to others. Let people have their fun. It doesn't hurt anything.

You are missing my point

I do ignore them, but it seems all the forums, paranormal, ufo, current events etc seem to be mainly just hypothetical what if type threads nowadays

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   

mlifeoutthere

FlyersFan

You are missing my point

I do ignore them, but it seems all the forums, paranormal, ufo, current events etc seem to be mainly just hypothetical what if type threads nowadays

Have you thought about creating your own threads to counter this?

Or visiting older threads that are more to your taste?

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   

beezzer

mlifeoutthere

FlyersFan

You are missing my point

Have you thought about creating your own threads to counter this?

Or visiting older threads that are more to your taste?

Counter attack? you do realise this is a forum, not serving under Rommel on the front line

And yes, i dont want to just sit here creating threads all days, but none of my threads are what if ones

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Well you can probably rest easy. Many people will see this thread and instead of writing what they want to write about, will immediately cater to your needs solely for your amusement and gratification.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Just a suggestion...

Why not try looking up the word "TOLERANCE"...and whilst you are on the same page... "RESPECT"...

The definitions can be found in Google if you have the patience to look?

Kindest respects

rodinus

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   

You have to understand that most of those 'what if' threads, you refer to, are written by kids (13-18yo). Many of them have arrived to ATS from Reddit or 4Chan community, hence the immature childish content. This is also one main reason why the more serious, or older posters are beginning to leave ATS.

Personally I still find some thread starters with sufficiently intriguing subjects worth reading and debating, or I too would be gone.
edit on 3-12-2013 by johncarter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   
1. They don't stay on the topic.

2. Everyone is an expert.

3. If it's not your forte nod and smile with words.

4. The clientele are changing.

5. The members run in groups or have several accounts.

6. Mobile devices.

7. Ect.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Awesome.

I like your attitude......NOT !

Let me tell you about the power of "What If".

Galileo said "What if the world was round, and not flat?"

Michaelangelo said "What if we could paint a masterpiece on a ceiling?"

Nasa once said "What if we could fly to the moon?"

The power of "What If" gives people the power to dream. The power of "What If" allows a previously unheard idea, be given a small chance at life.

What if my parents never met.
What if my footy team won their last game, and got into the finals.
What if I put my money on number 7.

"What if" allows you the benefit of an alternative perspective to the current reality. But it doesn't necessarily mean you must follow through with the thought, just crunch some numbers and if they don't work out, then no harm no foul.

People who ask, What If, are free thinkers, who don't need footnotes to support their train of thought. We dare to think something new can be created, or an alternative to current values can work.

People who need blueprints to work off, or a printed news article to support their ideal, probably don't understand that any and every new design/concept/program which has ever existed or ever will, was probably conceived from an idea, an idea that began with 2 simple words, "WHAT IF".

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by SPYvsSPY

???? another ... what are you talking about ???? Explain your post.
NONE of that had anything to do with the topic of the thread - 'what if' threads ....

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   

I'm starting to wonder WHAT IF this thread was written out of laziness and selfishness?

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I'm wondering if the schools are still out for the holiday.
Maybe the weather it's a bit chilly. Or what if so many
members try to get involved in so many threads that
it gets confusing and the WRITERS have to keep it simple.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   

It happens here often. Some want to be involved so badly and be recognized that they post EVERYTHING that crosses their mind. I find it really annoying seeing the same persons pump out thread after thread of useless ideas, but I try to be tolerent to the point of not slamming them in every thread. I step up now just to say that you are not alone in feeling that the flood dilutes the overall quality of the place.

I fear with ATS being linked to social media we will attract many more from sites where quantity over quality is the norm.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   

johncarter

You have to understand that most of those 'what if' threads, you refer to, are written by kids (13-18yo). Many of them have arrived to ATS from Reddit or 4Chan community, hence the immature childish content. This is also one main reason why the more serious, or older posters are beginning to leave ATS.

Personally I still find some thread starters with sufficiently intriguing subjects worth reading and debating, or I too would be gone.
edit on 3-12-2013 by johncarter because: (no reason given)

If it is true that kids are posting here asking questions, then we as adults should step up as mentors and/or teachers to assist them with offering them varying opinions, experiences and/or theories, because it is a very confusing chaotic world.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   

ATS is a 100% User Contributed site. That means every bit of actual content, whether hypothetical our exclusive story, is written by regular folk because they cared enough to take the time and share.

If what is out there now looks junky or less than worthy, please feel free to start some new threads of your own for whatever direction you feel things ought to go. User Contributed means we're all a part to claim credit when it does well...and we're all equally to blame when things go poorly around here.

Like Gandhi said in a famous quote... 'Be the change you want to see in the world'. Alter that to read ATS

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   

or very few threads which look like somebody has actually taken the time to put a bit of research or thought into it, it does get frustrating after a while.

research and thought, where is that in your thread, this one?

Okay it`s getting to the point now where almost every thread in the ufo or paranormal forums consist of a theme similar to `if an alien lands what would you do`

This first line is simply a lie or a delusion you wish to feed, why?

If you would have researched like you want others to you would have seen your assumption on these "what if" threads are only a small percentage or maybe more, however "almost every post" really sound like a "what if" that you seem to be complaining about.

Is this a troll thread or are you serious with this logic of yours?

You complain about speculation then do so yourself.

Its OK though as I am a hypocrite as well.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join