It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mind-blowing portrait of Morgan Freeman

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 04:15 AM
link   
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." This mind-blowing portrait of Morgan Freeman IS NOT a photograph... It is a PAINT made by Artist Kyle Lambert using an iPad and a finger...285,000 brush strokes and more than 200 hours.
Watch and be amazed!

A M A Z I N G.....

To Mods: feel free to move in appropriate forum.

edit on 3-12-2013 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 04:48 AM
link   
I honestly think this is a fake to try and make the naive buy an Ipad and procreate... The artist does do some nice stuff (look at his other videos), but there is too much of a giant leap in the quality of his paintings...

I mean his even managed to draw the tiny out of focus hairs above the lips in exactly the same place, it is just so damn exact that it seems to good to be true, and we are talking about using an Ipad and fingers here ...

And 200 hours for that level of detail does not seem alot for something that is totatly created, It would go quicker if you could add automated skin texture and such, but it is apparently all done from nothing but fingers..

And if I would be aiming at such a high quality feat, I would be filming a time lapse video.

For comparaison here is the original photo : www.moviepilot.de...

I would like to see the Hi def painting...

Anyway just my opinion and I would love to be wrong...
edit on 3-12-2013 by WeSbO because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by WeSbO

Indistinguishable....

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

I know I read and I love that quote in which I totally believe, but we are talking about an ipad and fingers so the quote has to be put back into context, and also please look at the quality of his other creations... I could also say occam's razor but I don't want to...
edit on 3-12-2013 by WeSbO because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 05:10 AM
link   
And here is the painting (which is in a lower resolution than the original photo) : www.kylelambert.co.uk...

please compare with the original

www.moviepilot.de...

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 05:21 AM
link   
The real proof would be to see clip of the artist and his hands, not just digitised animation appearing.

I do hope it's real too, however, it would be very kool!
edit on 3/12/1313 by Krusty the Klown because: Kan't spell

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 05:29 AM
link   
i did something like that with a pic of cary elwes as wesley in the princess bride, but
it was just with paintshop pro and isn't nearly as good as that morgan freeman painting

holy toledo that is good.

here's wesley just so people can compare a portrait artist (me) vs. a master (the guy who painted morgan)

edit on 3-12-2013 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Krusty the Klown
The real proof would be to see clip of the artist and his hands, not just digitised animation appearing.

I do hope it's real too, however, it would be very kool!
edit on 3/12/1313 by Krusty the Klown because: Kan't spell

for mine, i had to take snapshots of each time i made a change to it, so that it could be seen in slow motion, and also explained the tools i used to get the textures like the little dots in wesley's shirt. took several shots because i was having trouble getting his eyes to line up.

that guy who painted morgan, is freakin' amazing.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   
And to come back to Arthur C Clarke's quote : "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

I would like to reply :

Anything that is indistinguishable from magic requires a high amount of proof, in my opinion.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

Hey undo, you are a good artist too.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Angelic Resurrection

thanks but i'm not nearly as skilled as the morgan freeman artist. that is unbelievable. i've never seen a more realistic portrait painting in my life.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Normally I don't check these type of things as there are far better people at Photoshop than myself. However I decided to check both the painting and the photo against each other in Photoshop layered together. Sorry to say, we have an exact match hair for hair, wrinkle for wrinkle even the veins in the eyes and corneas match. Not saying that it can't be done but we have an exact duplicate of the photo and this was done on an iPad with fingers...well let's just say I doubt it.

I would expect to find errors in placement and omissions not exact matches. Even the reflection of the light source in the eye is exactly matched down to the pixel. Unless the picture that is being said to be the painting by the news outlet got mixed up with the original photo, we have nothing more than the same image just re-sized and color adjustments.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by WeSbO

And then I say: Fake

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
anybody think morgan's eyes look like he has glaucoma or cataracts?

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I believe it is entirely possible this artist did this, for example check out some of the feats other artists have accomplished in other forms of media;

LINK

The thing about digital media is it allows you to work as large as you would like on a stationary size using the zoom feature and also allows the types of seamless blending and other features that traditional artists had to master through trial and error, in ways digital art can allow the artist to literally erase mistakes flawlessly which in turns will help them make astonishingly realistic images if they have the time. I would imagine his source material would have been printed 2 to 3 times larger then life. I see no reason to consider this a hoax.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

here's wesley just so people can compare a portrait artist (me) vs. a master (the guy who painted morgan)

Undo, don't under estimate yourself, your work is very good. Should I desire a portrait of myself, personally I would prefer your style than someone doing a photo realistic one. If I wanted it to look like a photo, I would just have a photographer take a picture.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by pstrron

In digital applications where you have the ability to work in layers, artists can put the original on a layer underneath their painting layer. Then you adjust the visibility of both layers so that you can "paint" directly over the photo in the bottom layer. Folks do it all the time, but it does not usually turn out this good.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by pstrron

thanks. believe it or not, i painted that at the size you see. thus it's very low quality from being low res. my comp at the time was an antique, the graphics card was constantly overheated and didn't like painting large canvases lol
it took forever, because i don't use a tablet (can't read the buttons), so i have to use the mouse to paint things. the explanation of how i painted it, step by step, was over 20 pages long with several screenshots on each page lol

anyway, that morgan painting proves that he has the ability to paint extreme photo realism which is a lucrative market now from all the cgi and gaming and movies and so on.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

groingrinder
reply to post by pstrron

In digital applications where you have the ability to work in layers, artists can put the original on a layer underneath their painting layer. Then you adjust the visibility of both layers so that you can "paint" directly over the photo in the bottom layer. Folks do it all the time, but it does not usually turn out this good.

yeah, but i don't think he used layers. i mean the video does go fast but it doesn't go that fast, that you can't see how he painted the basic shades and colors and then refined and refined until he had the finished product. some people have visual memory similar to the savant level of visual memory, and once they see something, they don't forget it.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
oh i think the program, procreate, that he's using must have textures that mimic skin and lip and hair textures, as well. in my painting of wesley, i used the noise filter in paintshop to add random dots on his shirt to give it a small texture like a woven shirt look. same on his jacket. i am not sure about morgan's hair and beard, but the lip textures may be something you can paint on a selected area. i like the way that program works but i don't have an ipad and wouldn't be able to read any of the menus anyway.
edit on 3-12-2013 by undo because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join