It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russell Brand writes huge rant about The Sun and Murdoch in The Guardian.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
First Brand was saying that MP's aren't to be trusted, now he's saying that tabloid newspapers are of a questionable journalistic standard. While these points are all very original, it's all starting to sound rather far-fetched.

That was sarcasm by the way.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Other than the prose being unnecessarily dense theres not much to complain about in the message.

Although anybody on here has already figured his points out long ago. No corporate media is trustworthy and those who control the money control everything directly or indirectly.

I get the feeling Brand has figured out something is fundamentally wrong but doesn't yet know exactly what it is. He's still railing against the symptoms. Somebody should send him a copy of The Beast from Jekyll Island for xmas before he gets misdirected down a blind alley and takes others with him.
edit on 2-12-2013 by justwokeup because: typo

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Interesting to see varied opinion. I'm sorry to have not been more active in this thread, I have been busy making music today.

I'm not a fan of Brand as an entertainer. But I do like this article of his. Yeah, the long words are annoying
but his point is still…. well…. on point.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Funny how everybody loves to attack Rupert's media enterprises, but yet, they are all number one all over the world. I doubt that it's because he spreads lies and misinformation, but rather, because his news outlets tell us the truth (maybe not always but much more so than the other rags) and those who don't like that truth being told choose to complain and hate.

I put a similar post on the other thread about Fox News crushing the other guys. Sounds like the Sun is crushing the other guys as well. I believe in Australia, he is also on top, but not quite sure.

Most people who buy newspapers and watch TV news aren't dumb, but are more informed, and I think I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on knowing which news outlets to read and watch for the most honest news.

I'll bet my paycheck that Russell Brand cheated on his girlfriend and he's a celebrity who likes to spout off at the mouth, so the Sun let him have it. Good for them!

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Biigs
I used to read The Sun newspaper when i was younger.

I say read, mostly just starred at page 3.

What? No flagged?

Russell Brand is a poster boy. It might not be clear for what yet exactly,
but a poster boy he is.

Controlled opposition it is.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

It's not so much the lies. As some of it is truth. It's how they get that truth that is the issue.

Phone hacking scandal over here nearly destroyed free-press.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by brace22

Yes, I read about that. It's too bad they went to those extremes and that is wrong. Do you believe though that Rupert would order his editors to do something like that and risk his fortunes, or could it have been overzealous editors trying to improve ratings and impress the boss at any cost?

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Rezlooper
Funny how everybody loves to attack Rupert's media enterprises, but yet, they are all number one all over the world.

Fact is, society as a whole ain't too bright.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   

KBadger
Wow, you guys and your Brand worship! Have you ever tried thinking for yourselves? Do you really need celebrities, or indeed anyone, to tell you what to do and think?
To quote Brian "You're all individuals"...

I'd massively disagree with this. The reason he is so popular and everyone is loving brand at the moment is because he's echoing thoughts we already have. He's a major celebrity who is using his time in the spotlight to actually say things that most upper working and middle class people in Britain are concerned about. He has not told anyone what to think, he's done like three speeches and lots of people have agreed. He has never told us what to think, he's purely been honest about his views.

Also the main problem in Britain is that we are too independent as people, we all know what is wrong and we have an idea of what is going on but in typical English demeanour we just moan about it and carry on. We need someone to rally behind and we need a figurehead for our views. So far Brand has been the only man echoing them and the only man on a pedestal high enough to have an impact. I'm not saying he'd ever be taking completely seriously in the political ring but he has been to give a speech at parliament before.
edit on 2-12-2013 by iRoyalty because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

I wouldn't say that, but society as a whole would rather hear a shocking story about a family in bristol or see a pair of knockers then read about anything with any actual meaning in the world. That's why the Sun is #1 because it's full of crap that isn't particularly important (or necessarily true/the whole story) but that's what sells!

Murdock is a businessman, and a damned good one. He has not journalistic cares of morality, in a profit based organisation morality can get in the way.
edit on 2-12-2013 by iRoyalty because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Rezlooper
Funny how everybody loves to attack Rupert's media enterprises, but yet, they are all number one all over the world. I doubt that it's because he spreads lies and misinformation, but rather, because his news outlets tell us the truth

Hullo Rez, have read some of your posts previous and they have been interesting but this one seems quite odd.

If my time with media has taught me anything it's that there is no such thing as journalism. There is time, money, and publication space. You spend as little of A and B to fill C as possible and then money drops out.

Ask yourself why does a post on ATS about the end of the world or Miley Cyrus get more hits than serious world issues? The same laws that apply to content on ATS also apply to 'quality journalism' or the lack there of.

If quality and truth were the goal of Murdoch owned papers then people like John Edwards wouldn't be able to get a gig in the western world.

You don't even have to take my personally reported experiences on the topic. There are plenty of books by ex journalists addressing made up stories, alcoholism, libel, intimidation and unprofessional conduct. They are well worth reading.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Pinke

I agree with you. Journalism has gone down the tubes but I believe that there is a reason his media enterprises are number one and that's because more people trust them. I'm not saying that they are without flaws, but more reliable than the others.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Rezlooper
Funny how everybody loves to attack Rupert's media enterprises, but yet, they are all number one all over the world. I doubt that it's because he spreads lies and misinformation, but rather, because his news outlets tell us the truth (maybe not always but much more so than the other rags) and those who don't like that truth being told choose to complain and hate.

I put a similar post on the other thread about Fox News crushing the other guys. Sounds like the Sun is crushing the other guys as well. I believe in Australia, he is also on top, but not quite sure.

Most people who buy newspapers and watch TV news aren't dumb, but are more informed, and I think I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on knowing which news outlets to read and watch for the most honest news.

I'll bet my paycheck that Russell Brand cheated on his girlfriend and he's a celebrity who likes to spout off at the mouth, so the Sun let him have it. Good for them!

Is this sarcasm?

He is number one because he bought out a lot of his competition.
As for Australia, he is Australian.
The Sun are nothing more than a red top gutter rag, look up Hillsborough disaster and how that relates to the sun.
Look at his Sunday Newspaper that were closed amid phone hacking, you can blame the Editors but you won't find many who think Rupert knows nothing about it.

As for Brand, who cares if he cheated? What does that have to do with anything? Does that make his points less valid.

I get the feeling you are not all that familiar with Mr Murdoch, maybe you are but looka little deeper at how many times he has been caught with his hand in the cookie Jar, his relationships with powerful politicians, how he can pretty much swing an election with his Media companies.
He is one of if not the most dangerous man on the planet.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by brace22

First of all... OP, this is not a long read. There has never been a long read printed in a newspaper, nor is there ever likely to be, simply because there are not enough pages in a newspaper for a long read.

However, I once again find myself in near total agreement with the sentiments expressed, and the points made by Mr Brand in his commentary on the state of the media, and its effects on the population of this country, and indeed the wider world (given the scale of the Murdoch media empire). I have mentioned before, that to find myself in agreement with Mr Brand is somewhat of a shock, simply because up until relatively recently his only contribution to the contents of my brain, were, as far as I was concerned, part of the rot, rather than the cure to it.

However, I am increasingly of the opinion that Mr Brand has only occupied such a distasteful position in the recesses of my mind, because up until relatively recently his access to a platform to speak on serious matters, has been far from stable enough to make it possible. The more he speaks on subjects such as equality, poverty, societal issues of import and impact, the clearer it becomes that he has a very well developed eye for the realities affecting our nation, a fact belied by his frankly ridiculous hair cut, and the fact that he can barely dress himself worth a damn.

Indeed, so down to Earth, and well informed are his statements about the way of things today, he actually represents a voice of reason, certainly when his statements are held up against those of the key players in UK politics, industry, and media. Quite a lot of what we hear from those players, is written in double speak, linguistically structured to be impenetrable, to hide misdeed, to play down the seriousness of an outright lie, by couching a phrase in such a way as to deflect a question, rather than answer it either honestly or dishonestly. Brand however delivers truth as he sees it, and has no illusions about the position from which he speaks, and I for one find that refreshing in a climate so rife with utter BS as the one in which we live today.

I also appreciate the fact that Mr Brand, being far from perfect, is well aware of his own character flaws, and though he hides behind his self deprecation, and reputation as somewhat of a ragamuffin, you can tell that he actually FEELS the marks his life has left upon him, and the marks he has left on others. An awful lot of people who see fit to comment on the state of society here in the UK, do so from a range of unhelpful positions, aloofness, condescension, positions of power, but above all, many simply do not appear to genuinely FEEL connected to the causes they are advocating on behalf of. I am of the opinion that this is often because the sort of people with the power and exposure to comment at all, are largely of the public school, never had a problem worth a damn in their lives brigade.

Mr Brand however is FROM the places in society that he is concerned about, and despite the glitz, and the tits he has been exposed to, is still fiercely supportive of persons who have found themselves in similar situations, or situations which have similar root causes. Brand has done a great many things that I do not support as an entertainer, but I will be watching him closely from now on, because I believe as a champion of the people, he is an ever strengthening gust of fresh air through the stale and dusty room of social commentary.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by iRoyalty

Aye, aye, iRoyalty.. aye...
I was going to respond to KBadger, but you beat me to it.
Ta, saved me time

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Rezlooper

Nah, people buy these rags because they have an insatiable appetite for gossip and scandal not for their reputation for quality news! I know, I used to be one of them!

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

I honestly think it's a mixture of the two.

Murdoch didn't know, but he wouldn't care if he did. You know what I mean?

When the editors came up with the idea, I imagine one of them would of said…

"Rupert would love it"

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by brace22

Fantastic piece, he might be a prat on TV and I can't listen to him but he certainly has a sharp mind and one to be admired - every word he spoke was what many are feeling right now.

I fear that people like him would become a target but actually he might be the one person who can make enough noise...but its dangerous when you're the one asking the people to revolt - word that can be taken out of context and could land Russell in a lot of trouble if something chaotic ensues.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Indeed, I agree

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by brace22

Excellent article. The ending was perfect:

when enough of us come together and confront our real enemies, not the imaginary ones that they select, then perhaps the sun will go down and tomorrow we might see clearly, in the light of a new dawn.

Looks like the non-sheeple have a new spokesman---- at least until we throw him under the bus like we do everyone else.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join