It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Argentine Threat Over Falkland Islands Oil Operations

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

maddy21
Its funny seeing brits soo butt hurt, is it so hard to see your former colony surpass you in science and technology ?

Oh, it’s all so tedious and predictable, but in a comparison between India and the UK, India does not fare well... GDP per capita, source World Bank... UK = $39K advanced developed economy versus India = £4K developing economy. I have a great deal of respect for India, the world’s biggest democracy, but they have serious problems with corruption, the treatment of women and (as has been mentioned) sanitation.

However let’s drag this discussion back to topic.

Argentinean domestic law has absolutely no bearing on the Falkland Islands... The Argentinean authorities can pass as may laws as they want, but they can do nothing to stop oil exploration around the Falkland Islands, except to cut off their noses to spite their faces, to coin an expression.

Regards

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by maddy21

Its about resources and oil as usual ,

Of course that's a major consideration - unfortunately at this moment in time society needs oil to function.

....do countries fight anyway ,

There is absolutely no chance whatsoever of this developing in to another military confrontation.
Argentinian armed capability has actually worsened since the last conflict and The Falklands are now far better protected than before.
Argentina knows this - it would quite simply be a bloodbath and would be the end of Kirchner's career.

it has nothing to do with patriotism or any other nonsense its a grab for the oil reserves in and around the islands ..

Kirchner is an egotist and one of the reasons she uses any opportunity to publicise Argentina's 'claim' to The Falklands is to maintain her profile on the international stage - without this she would be a complete and utter irrelevance.

The UK offered Argentina a full and equal share in the development of viable oil production in the region and obviously along with that would have been an enormous revenue.
The UK also offered to fund and build an oil refinery on mainland Argentina.

Together these would have provided a massive boost to the Argentinian economy which is really struggling at present.

Kirchner in her wisdom declined the offer in an act that reeks of putting self-publicity above national interest.

But of course none of that fits in with your anti-British bigotry and narrow mind set.

edit on 1/12/13 by Freeborn because: grammar and clarity

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Give XH558 one last 'howl' of an outing, over Buenos Aires
edit on 1-12-2013 by timski because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   

timski
Give XH558 one last 'howl' of an outing, over Buenos Aires
edit on 1-12-2013 by timski because: (no reason given)

I love the Vulcans, its a shame they were retired rathar than upgraded like the Americans B-52's there such eligant planes.

Still doesnt matter with the falklands, one Eurofighter typhoon could destroy the Argentian Air force and most likley Navy as its so out dated now.

Zaphod or one of the other Aircraft buff may corrcet me but there Airforce main fighter is the A-4AR and it barely dersrves the name now. There Mirage 5A are grounded and also so old as to be useless. There Navy fairs slightly better with the Super Étendard but even then its barely a 4th gen fighter.

Even our Surface to air missles would make mince meat of there Airforce.

As for navy? They have a few outdated patrol craft and destroyers.
edit on 1-12-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
poor Brits, no one wants them to keep more of their former empire.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

chishuppu
no one wants them to keep more of their former empire.

BS

The Falkland Islander who live there do. And I dont see anyone but the Argies makeing a fuss.

And they can make all the fuss they want. The only way they are getting them back is if:
1) They convince the people that live on the island to want to break from the UK
2) Get America to back them militraty wise.

And both 1 or 2 are not going to happen
edit on 1-12-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

The Spaniards recently sold them 16 upgraded Mirage F1s when they replaced theirs with Typhoons.

Of the 16, 8 have air to air refuelling capability.

No match for a Typhoon but enough to possibly require deployment of some additional Typhoon airframes if things got serious.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

Hold on the She/man has Sean Penn on her side......I think we should evacuate the islands sharpish

They are British and will remain British till the people who have lived there for 300 years wish to leave.

posted on Dec, 1 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   

paraphi

maddy21
Its funny seeing brits soo butt hurt, is it so hard to see your former colony surpass you in science and technology ?

Oh, it’s all so tedious and predictable, but in a comparison between India and the UK, India does not fare well... GDP per capita, source World Bank... UK = $39K advanced developed economy versus India = £4K developing economy. I have a great deal of respect for India, the world’s biggest democracy, but they have serious problems with corruption, the treatment of women and (as has been mentioned) sanitation.

However let’s drag this discussion back to topic.

Argentinean domestic law has absolutely no bearing on the Falkland Islands... The Argentinean authorities can pass as may laws as they want, but they can do nothing to stop oil exploration around the Falkland Islands, except to cut off their noses to spite their faces, to coin an expression.

Regards

Britain's debt is estimated to be 900% of gdp while India debt is 42.3% ....there is no point in having an advanced developed economy while 1 in 6 children in the U.K live in abject poverty .

as for getting to topic

The unfortunate fact is Argentina is playing more of a diplomatic game than a military one ...they are isolating you on the world stage..not many support Britain on this issue as they reminds them of their colonial past weather you accept it or not...

Even other wise Britain does not have the money or the economic ability to fight a war , they already had to cancel the construction of one carrier ... You are protected by NATO and has a natural barrier (Island) ...why you people want a powerful military while your economy stumbles is beyond me
edit on 1-12-2013 by maddy21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by maddy21

Our second carrier is still on course to be built and will probably be operated in rotation with the other one.

Our debt is closer to 90% of GDP than 900. Still way too high but less than it has been in the past. Economically we are all bound together. If the western economies collapse so does the export markets currently allowing the enrichment of Asia. Something that is not in anyones interest.

I doubt many away from South America and those with axes to grind take Argentina seriously. The Falklands always gets trotted out as a distraction from whatever calamity their government has wrought this week. Currently the fact they have been running 25% inflation while mis-reporting the number to an increasingly desperate public.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Kinetik

Our economy is at this time stronger than France's.

Well both are crap, but the UK is clearly not stronger than the French by a long shot... The PIIGS are bad and France is down but England is in worst situation it just has better cosmetics (a similar situation to the US) they have control the central markets and we all know that they are being inflated by the crazy policy of quantitative easing. The UK is propping up another housing bobble for the elections (people think they are better off if their property gains in value) but the intrinsics jobs and quality of life is on rapid decline and the devaluation of the currency is being hidden...

The Eurozone is also bad but the self serving Germans are preventing the fall into the quantitative easing bandwagon... Wait and see what happens when Japan folds...

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 03:38 AM
link   

justwokeup
reply to post by maddy21

Our second carrier is still on course to be built and will probably be operated in rotation with the other one.

Our debt is closer to 90% of GDP than 900. Still way too high but less than it has been in the past. Economically we are all bound together. If the western economies collapse so does the export markets currently allowing the enrichment of Asia. Something that is not in anyones interest.

I doubt many away from South America and those with axes to grind take Argentina seriously. The Falklands always gets trotted out as a distraction from whatever calamity their government has wrought this week. Currently the fact they have been running 25% inflation while mis-reporting the number to an increasingly desperate public.

thanks for the nicely worded reply.... I think you might be mistaking your total debt with Deficit

I got my source from here , you are free to disprove it though
moneyweek.com...

I believe Argentina is upto something , countries and leaders don't rake up issues without any reason , i suspect there are back channel talks going on with other south American nations on this issue ....

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by maddy21

Maddy, you are getting yourself in useless discussion.

This aint about India or Indians.

What happens to Falklands is none of our business.

Good luck to Brits!

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   

maddy21

I believe Argentina is upto something , countries and leaders don't rake up issues without any reason , i suspect there are back channel talks going on with other south American nations on this issue ....

or maybe with neuschwabenlanders, although this sounds farfetched.
But admiral byrds operation was jinxed by someone or something in 1947.
There is bound to be some info
on google about operation high jump

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by maddy21

GOVERNMENT debt in the UK is 69.2% GDP.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by maddy21

You are aware my Indian friend if the EU and/or the US econemy falls India would be thrown back into the stone age too?

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by GargIndia

Its an international forum where people discuss several issues , i go where i want to and give my opinions just like everyone else on this forum .... Everyone else has the habit of putting their feet into places where they don't belong...why should i be left out ?

edit on 2-12-2013 by maddy21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   

crazyewok
reply to post by maddy21

You are aware my Indian friend if the EU and/or the US econemy falls India would be thrown back into the stone age too?

the whole world will be thrown back ..am well aware of that ..

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   

maddy21
U.K should stop worrying about Falkland islands and start worrying about its collapsing economy , unemployment and people going into abject poverty ... I,d say give away the falkland islands , disband your military and spend all the money on getting your economy running .. The french carrier will protect you

And thank God you'll never be in power !

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   

maddy21

the whole world will be thrown back ..am well aware of that ..

So I dont get all the smugness and hate?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join