It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is just wrong JcPenny's!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I was at my moms yesterday for Thanksgiving, lots of food and relaxing. Of course football was on for everyone but me.
I was happy when my mom put the dog show on, not a fan of football at all! While watching all the various programming I saw one commercial far too many times that just bothered me.

It was one of a family cleaning up from Thanksgiving dinner and some carolers are telling them to leave it and just BUY BUY BUY. WTF.

It takes a lot to get to me with a commercial and I did NOT like the message of this commercial.
It was basically saying to stop what you are doing and go shopping right now! Forget your family, it's better to buy things that you don't need than spend time with your family on a family day.
It doesn't matter that someone has to work on this day so you can SHOP SHOP SHOP and BUY BUY BUY! It is funny how right before this commercial you will see a nice one for spending time with the family during the holidays then this one comes on and is like screw it, just shop!

Am I the only one who finds this commercial appalling? I know it's a commercial and I can ignore or turn it off but it's the message they are putting out there....thank god I don't have cable and only saw this because my mom does.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I don't know about appalling, but it is really stupid. Just like every other commercial on TV, targeted towards the average idiot. I stopped watching TV a long time ago, so I've never seen this commercial until now.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Yeah it struck me wrong as well. 2 thoughts on this. We all know what Black Friday means. Push it HARD. Make people think if they aren't spending they are not helping with the economy. Secondly, and this is just a personal observation, people spend to make themselves feel better. Combine the 2 and you're off to the races...so is your money.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Pretty sad commercial that's for sure.

JC Penny is in pretty dire straits from what I've been reading. The stock value has tanked almost 50% in the last several months. This is at a time the DOW and SP500 are through the roof. Pretty sure JCP has some serious problems with management as well.

They're desperate (and it's showing.)

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I can't see the video, but I can guess. I guess I am just to fugal from too many years of being poor to go out and waste my money on things i don't need. I cringed when I spent $40 bucks on a pair of winter boots the other day. I even researched online for the lowest price for a pair that would fit my needs and last several years .

The sad thing is people get so caught up in this hype they don't even realize they are being ripped off.
They aren't saving money. Most items sold on Black Friday aren't even good deals.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

kx12x

I don't know about appalling, but it is really stupid. Just like every other commercial on TV, targeted towards the average idiot. I stopped watching TV a long time ago, so I've never seen this commercial until now.

Yea stupid is more like it

Yea I haven't watched TV in years. I use Netflix or Amazon to watch programming and it's usually movies or tv shows I watches years before and NO commercials! I do not like commercials at all.

The programming was definitely all about buying and shopping and SAVING! Which imo is a crock, it's not a sale. They jack the prices up to mark them lower to make you think you are getting a deal. I do not participate in these sale hypes.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   

It's no secret stores will do anything to garner attention during the holidays. It's never been about the gift of giving it's about people buying their products.

Look at Kmarts controversial ad and ask yourself what does this have to do with the holidays?

edit on 29-11-2013 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   

But you missed the point. It worked. It got you talking and mad about it, therefore garnishing what it was intended to do: advertise.

Thats the thing about advertising. Anything at all to get you to remember the commercial and the products or services it's promoting. It can be TERRIBLE or awful, stupid or insulting....but if it gets you TALKING about it...its achieved its intent.
edit on 09-22-2013 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
It's amazing to me how many people are willing to criticize advertisements like this NOT because they themselves are affected and would succumb to the message, but because OTHER people might. In fact, I don't believe I have ever met ANYONE who admits to being affected by an advertisement enough to be compelled to rush out to a store and buy what is offered. Everyone I talk to is strangely unaffected by such advertisements and laughs them off.

Thus these complainers want to protect the stupid masses from themselves because they might be affected and want to go shopping. This begs the question, though, because perhaps the stupid masses actually WANT to go shopping. Evidence of the long lines would tend to prove this. Indeed, when such people are interviewed in line, they proclaim they are doing it because, "it is great fun."

The do-gooders here of course have the right to express their opinion, but the fact is it's none of their g.d. business.

If you want to go shopping, go shopping and don't worry about these totalitarian nut jobs who want to prevent you from going shopping because, you know, you really shouldn't, according to them, because they are so blessed with excess intelligence that they somehow "know better." Tell them to stick their heads where it is familiar, where the sun don't shine, and we'll all be happier for it.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I was waiting for a post on that commercial. that commercial is ridiculous but it's really good to know how JCPenney feels about the holiday season.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

kx12x

the average idiot is the ' common man ' . that 80% of people with the average IQ on the bell curve. They are their OWN WORST ENEMY and they don't even know it.

They are the same people who, when a coworker may be getting the raw deal, instead of speaking out and standing up choose to lay low, as they might jeopardize "their" job. And usually are gleeful when someone gets axed because "wasn't them" and "a chance for ME to move up"

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   

For me, the cardinal sin here is that this commercial is so lame, with not much creativity having gone into it. Thus, I can't even get a twisted, sardonic laugh out of it, giving it zero value in my world.
edit on 11/29/13 by BuzzCory because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by BuzzCory

I agree. They might have as well as come out and say:

I think that's why ATS members are upset about this. We think more and see this BS.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Millions of things I am more appalled at than a JC Penny commercial.

There seems to be an aweful lot of "anti-consumerists" around. Given the boom is sales nationwide, I can't help but feel that some are just full of it.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   

intrepid
Yeah it struck me wrong as well. 2 thoughts on this. We all know what Black Friday means. Push it HARD. Make people think if they aren't spending they are not helping with the economy. Secondly, and this is just a personal observation, people spend to make themselves feel better. Combine the 2 and you're off to the races...so is your money.

Oh I agree with you on the spending to feel better. I know from personal experience. In my early 20s I shopped A LOT and it made me feel better, always. Well that was until the next day when buyers remorse hits. Shopping is a high for many people so a day for the biggest sales of the year is like the jackpot for these people. I have never participated shopping on Black Friday because I always worked that day.

When this came on the first time I was just listening and immediately looked up and was like what the heck was that. My mom thought it was cute of course. She didn't see what I did but that is ok. lol I am weird I guess

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan
Millions of things I am more appalled at than a JC Penny commercial.

Oh for sure but this isn't about those things.

There seems to be an aweful lot of "anti-consumerists" around. Given the boom is sales nationwide, I can't help but feel that some are just full of it.

Anti consumerist?

Who is "full of it"

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Bassago

Pretty sad commercial that's for sure.

JC Penny is in pretty dire straits from what I've been reading. The stock value has tanked almost 50% in the last several months. This is at a time the DOW and SP500 are through the roof. Pretty sure JCP has some serious problems with management as well.

They're desperate (and it's showing.)

JcPenny's wasn't all that bad about 5yrs ago, before they tried to "revamp" the store and it ruined them. It has never been the same. I do not like their new look at all and the new labels they do carry are higher in price than what they usually carry. I don't care for their stuff at all anymore and I use to shop there often esp their clearance racks!

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   

calstorm
I can't see the video, but I can guess. I guess I am just to fugal from too many years of being poor to go out and waste my money on things i don't need. I cringed when I spent $40 bucks on a pair of winter boots the other day. I even researched online for the lowest price for a pair that would fit my needs and last several years .

The sad thing is people get so caught up in this hype they don't even realize they are being ripped off.
They aren't saving money. Most items sold on Black Friday aren't even good deals.

No they aren't deals really and no they don't know they are being ripped off. There are very few good deals on this day, the rest of them are no different than any other BIG SALE these stores advertise for. I was looking at Macy's website at mixers and the Cuisinart one I want is advertised ON SALE for $349 from $499 but on Cuisinart's website and Amazon it's $349 or cheaper year round, and Cuisinart has it priced all the time at Macy's "sale" price. Most people wouldn't even look at another site to price compare, they'd take the "sale" price and think they saved all that money when they really didn't. I always price compare!

The items are marked up from the beginning. This happens all over retail with certain "big ticket" items. Don't even get me started on the jewelry industry and the mark up there. Department stores are the second worst for marking things up beyond belief. I worked for Macy's but their stuff was so over priced. I always found the same stuff elsewhere for a fraction of the price.

Personally I love to shop at Ross, which is a store that carries stuff left over from major department stores or similar so you can find some awesome stuff there YEAR ROUND! There was a comforter set I wanted but on Macy's site it was $399 bucks and I found it at Ross for $58 bucks about 6mths later! I found a $45 Le Creuset clay lasagna dish for less than $6 on their clearance rack. I use that thing weekly, one of the best finds for a "new" discount item.

I save a lot by shopping these types of stores. I don't need one special day to get a deal.

I shop sales, bargain and second hand only. It is very very rare I buy clothing that is brand new. I even buy my sons clothes second hand because they are practically new and a fraction of what the stores charge.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   

TheLieWeLive

It's no secret stores will do anything to garner attention during the holidays. It's never been about the gift of giving it's about people buying their products.

Look at Kmarts controversial ad and ask yourself what does this have to do with the holidays?

edit on 29-11-2013 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

I found this to be uncomfortable and I'm not someone who feels uncomfortable about such things BUT this is a commercial kids see. So their balls are bells and they should make music with them? I know it was meant to be funny but I laughed and then felt that this isn't appropriate with what they were insinuating....and how do men gyrating their balls to jingle bells equal family?!

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   

mysterioustranger

But you missed the point. It worked. It got you talking and mad about it, therefore garnishing what it was intended to do: advertise.

Thats the thing about advertising. Anything at all to get you to remember the commercial and the products or services it's promoting. It can be TERRIBLE or awful, stupid or insulting....but if it gets you TALKING about it...its achieved its intent.
edit on 09-22-2013 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

Oh I know that is what they were doing. I have to admit it's a good one because I looked up. I don't have cable myself and never watch commercials. I find the majority of them to be very annoying.

Funny thing is there was a time when I loved commercials but they are not the same as when I was a kid.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join