It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Potentially the First Significant Cold Spell of Winter 2013 - UK

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

Oooohhhhh...in the words of Harry Hill

FIGHT!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Argyll
reply to post by angelchemuel

He gave us a 7-10 day heads up about hurricane Bawbag....and he was right.

Well he may very well be right this time.....In my opinion, using the same sources that he does, I don't think it will be a particularly severe event.....but we'll see.

That is why there is "potentially" in the header. It's not about informing the interested it's about informing the peepz busy with other stuff.

Too bad it is short term as we can see for now. Somehow I sleep much better when it's snowing, there must bebsome bear blood in my bloodline I always tend to like a wintersleep

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Hi All,

Just a quick update. I'm sure you have all heard that snow is forecast by the end of this week from the regular MSM. Something of note though is that at the moment it is forecast to be quite short lived and only really affecting Scotland. Particularly north of the Central belt and the NE (Scotland).

I cant say with much certainty how much snow and exactly where but i would hazard a guess that some areas (especially the further N and E you are - with elevation) could easily see upwards of 25cm Thursday through Saturday with drifting in the blizzard conditions and sharp overnight drops in temperature.

What happens after that is really anyone's guess. My personal opinion is that we will see heights building to the NE of the UK over Scandinavia putting us in the "cold but stable" weather system leading up to Christmas, but this isn't supported too well at the moment by the most of the major models...still though, this is my thoughts!

To the person querying about my membership to Netweather, yes indeed i am on that forum

edit on 2/12/13 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

Do you have any last updates? The northern part of Germany and Denmark will have a huge storm. Similar to the one in October. The difference is that it will come from the NW while the tide is high and the springtide can reach dangerous levels.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

It's going to be an interesting end of the week.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
God, I'm glad I'm not in the U.K right now. Never was to fond of the winters there.
Best wishes to those of you putting up with this right now!
I'll keep an eye on this thread for sure, +1 & flag

~Sovereign

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Morning all...
It's a bit wild in Aberdeenshire this morning...very strong winds, lots of rain, but not that cold yet. I'm sure that will change later today. Have a have a feeling we might have power cuts at some point...the lights are flickering already. Stay safe everyone.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 02:38 AM
link   
It's the temperature that's getting me...I'm 9 miles outside Manchester.......and I still haven't put my heating on! I just put the fan heater which is part of my 'fancy fireplace' on a couple of times a day, and a hot water bottle in my bed.....and its bloomin' December! Not complaining mind.

Hope there's not too much damage, and people on coastal areas stay safe from the storm surges expected later today.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 02:55 AM
link   
The entire Scottish rail network has just been shut down, and police are advising people not to travel on many of the main roads...it's really bad.

Flooding could be a major issue..please keep watching.

BBC link

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Glasgow rail station is being evacuated because part of the glass roof has colapsed...no injuries though thank goodness.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

Bloody freezing here in North East England - had to take the Grandson to nursery after a night in the pub - certainly blew the cobwebs away.
Feet up, cup of Yorkshire Tea and a book methinks - until got to go pick the bairn up.

Still, if this is as bad as it gets this winter I'll take it - somehow think not though.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Just a quick update, applicable to those in Scotland, England, Denmark, Germany, Holland and Sweden (mainly).

Coupled with the strong winds (114mph recorded in Scotland) and the cold feed of air is the potential for the worst coastal flooding in 30 years. This is especially for those on the North Sea low countries and areas, namely SE England, Holland etc.

Please be very vigilant if down on the coast today as a storm surge of 5m or so cant be ruled out, sandbags at the ready for some. Please also note that many homes in Scotland are without power and this can be expected in other areas as the storm tracks towards Germany and Poland.

Those in Scotland, expect the cold feed to arrive this afternoon with 2-5cm widely across the N and E during the night but as much as 30cm with drifting snow on higher routes.

As mentioned above, travel is difficult so please stay tuned to your local news feeds and weather reports. By Sunday, it will all be a distant memory and we will be back up to 10+oC

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Hey thanks for the thread. I'm from Peterhead (NE Scotland for those that aren't sure) and the weather is pretty wild. Was up all through the night with lightning and the winds here are tearing my garden a new one!
There are also power cuts left, right and centre.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   
It's starting to snow here already, not to any great depth, but it's much colder than at 7 this morning, and the wind is still quite bad. The biggest problem seems to be trees down on the roads...many are shut already. I'm staying home.
Lights are flickering, but we still have power thankfully.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 06:37 AM
link   
rest the UK likey to get hit this year? Still quite mild in the west midlands.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   

I can't thank you enough for sticking your neck out, and giving us advance notice. We've had it all here this morning, gales, snow, trees down, high tide, you name it!

Thanks to you, my parents stocked up on coal and food (they're in the NE Scotland) well in advance, so no disasters for them. This thread really was appreciated.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join