It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ok, ISON no more but a lot to follow in 2014

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Comet Holmes (Perihelion Mar 27, 2014)

Over the course of 42 hours in October of 2007, Comet Holmes (17P/Holmes) became a half million times brighter on its way to becoming the largest object in the solar system - larger than the Sun, or Brad Pitt's ego, if only for a brief time. Holmes is one of the more prominent comets in 2014.

Comet Faye (Mar 29, 2014)

Comey Faye (4P/Faye) was discovered in 1844 by a French astronomer. It was the first periodic comet to be named after its discoverer and not the individual who determined its orbit. This comet will reach perihelion a couple days after Comet Holmes in 2014.

Comet 209P / Linear (May 6, 2014)

Russian astronomer, Mikhail Maslov, believes Earth will pass through the tail of Comet 209P / LINEAR between 7:00 and 8:00 UT on May 24, 2014. It could result in a meteor storm producing between 100 and 400 meteors an hour. Viewing conditions will be particular good in Canada and the United States. Circle this date on your calendar.
THIS ONE CAN GIVE US QUITE A SHOW

Comet Siding Spring (Oct 25, 2014)

There is currently a 1 and 120,000 chance that Comet Siding Spring (C/2013 A1) will hit Mars on October 19, 2014. Based on Leonid Elenin's recent observations, Comet Siding Spring will pass 0.000276 AU (41,300 km, 25,700 miles) from the surface of Mars. For comparison, the average distance between the Earth and Moon is .00257 AU (384,400 km, 238,900 miles).

SOHO Comets (Various, 2014)

Dozens of tiny, sungrazing comets are expected to return to tightly orbit the Sun in 2014 or end their lives in its corona. These comets will probably only be observable from space observatories like SOHO and LASCO. The general public can comb through movies and images captured by SOHO, attempting to discover comets in 2014.

And...

Asteroid 2003 QQ47

....So, me thinks Cheesy will continue very busy in the coming months

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing!

That potential meteor shower in May sounds like it could be amazing! Definitely staying tuned for that.

S&F

Edited because I have heard all different things about ISON... that it disintegrated... that it survived and brightened... I just got home and haven't had time to verify yet.
edit on 28pmThu, 28 Nov 2013 18:29:22 -060013ThursdayThursday1311 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

yeah, 400 meteors per hour can be like fireworks

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Why is everyone saying Ison is gone? In fact given the latest images it shows she's doing well and has brightened up abit.

She won't be the comet of the century,but she's still going mildly strong.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicDude

I'd even be willing to travel for that one if the weather doesn't cooperate. If the weather does allow, I have the perfect spot. We live out in the country away from bright lights and obstructions, so its awesome for meteor showers out here.

I hope its as amazing as predicted.
edit on 28pmThu, 28 Nov 2013 18:26:24 -060013ThursdayThursday1311 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
"Ok, ISON no more"

ISON is still here, lo0l ..

And will give us more very fascinating information and images ..

Also will be more visible until mid-December or Christmas rather and brighter than before ..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

CosmicDude
reply to post by Senduko

www.nasa.gov...

Interestingly they are set on saying she disappeared, there is another thread here that clearly shows she survived. Honestly why the F is Nasa saying she's gone? They made the announcement when no one could even see if she was alive or not.

Just look at the other thread please.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Just even looking at the images on SOHO of Ison, it is clear that something survived and has grown in brightness. The rest only time will tell...

As for the rest of the events next year, I look forwards to it, knowing that I may or may not see a thing but there will be lots of action in the skies above for 2014.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
looks like it still exists to me...

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Why all videos of Ison stop shortly after they show the comet disappear behind the sun, or stop soon after we see it reappear?? even if we don't really see the coma after perihelion, it doesn't mean its really dead...

is there ANY video that shows all?? at the time right now, there should be a video in which we could see the debris or dust cloud continuing their way in the initial orbit....

Why all videos are cut reght after perihelion??

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jvm222

Thank you for putting in the work on that gif. Nothing like a visual to show us whats going on with the sun.

Those CMEs were magnificent!

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   

cathar
reply to post by intrptr

Proof...ISON is alive and well..

edit on 28-11-2013 by cathar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by cathar

Excellent. Thanks for the video. Something survived the trip, didn't it? Any explanation why the video says feeds have gone dead?

I can't wait to see the close ups of this thing(s).

Maybe it was torn into a string of pearls like Schumacher Levy…

www2.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Possibly has broken into four seperate pieces.....weird how something survived and is done gasing. Always something around the corner that no one can explain. Especially the speculative professionals.

Lightmeup04

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   
ISON survived ? I sure would love that is true but what images still show can either be its fragments ( scientific approach) or ufos (ATS approach)

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Anyone else getting frustrated by the mixed news?

NASA website does not seem to show video of the comet re-appearing (as in the video stops before this point)?
That in itself is annoying.

Also nobody yet seems to be suggesting the possibility that the comet survived but was simply stripped of it's coma and outgases as it was so close to the sun. Now that it is moving away the gases/coma are building up again. I have seen one still shot (cannot verify it's validity) on twitter where it's brightness seems as bright as when it 1st came into view on SOHO on it's way in albeit with a smaller/no tail but again would this not be logical if it was stripped and is building up again?

I might be talking out of my gluteus maximus but hey, I'm just looking for an explanation and if wrong would like to be told so by someone with better knowledge of this than me.

So, any experts on here? I'd like to know if my suggestion above is even possible?

ISON back to full brightness?

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 04:18 AM
link   
BBC also reporting that it may have survived and are using the same image I linked in my last post.

Am I the only one that thinks that "most" of the comet must have survived to suddenly grow in brightness to that as seen in the image in my last post?

Here it is again (this time on the BBC website)...

ISON back to full brightness?

The white circle inside the blue disc represents the suns disc, look at how big/bright ISON is again!!!

I am going to go out on an uneducated limb and say that in my opinion this comet must have survived almost entirely to be showing that much brightness and may get brighter still.

Surely it could not get so bright unless a large part of it survived?
edit on 29-11-2013 by welshreduk because: typo

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by welshreduk

I wish you are right and she Just took the chance to put herself more confortable for a moment and get some tan while nobody could see her.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join