It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pizza Hut manager refuses to open for Thanks Giving, gets fired! Happy Thanks Giving Corporate Ameri

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

That is the most obtuse thing I have read in this thread. I am not going into the details around the legalities of my role within the corporation I work for. Especially since its relevance has nothing to do with this thread. Discuss the topic, not me. If you think I am saying something that is incorreect, then dispute that. My personal experience is only shared for context. Take it how you wish....but we aren't needing to discuss it further, beyond what I share.

I have to apologize if I came across as insensitive (this is the way I choose to define "obtuse" in your reply above). Clearly you have misinterpreted my meaning. I have no interest in the legalities of your role. In the end, you're just another employee who thinks is more important than the others because he signs paychecks. I only replied to you because you mislead me in believing that you owned your business.

On topic, what I was trying to get across was that large companies (i.e. Walmart/ Pizza Hut, in this case) will force people to work using textbook propaganda about responsibilities or work ethics, when in fact it's simply about money and greed.
And the most puzzling aspect of all this is that some people (namely you) will call this a "healthy work attitude" or will trumpet the "remarkable" compensation that comes along with it, often times while speaking for others ("a killing" was it ?).

Also on topic, people have the right to holidays, and while I agree there are essential services that need to be provided on an off day (i.e. police, fire dept, ambulance) there is no argument that can be reasonably be made in favor of a pizza joint. There is only the corporate greed.

Last point on topic, this isn't a singular case. I have seen other similar instances where people were told by managers to either "volunteer" or be nominated for holiday shifts. You seem like an intelligent individual...make an effort to remember some points in history where we had similar regimes of choicelessness imposed on those who work. Back then, they may have gotten whipped or jailed, nowadays, only the levers used to reign in the "livestock" have changed...because nowadays we're civilized...

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Wingo

in my world, you either own your business (as metaphor/hyperbole) or you work in second rate companies where you suffer micromanagement.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   

You know , if Pizza Hut Workers were Unionized , do you think that they would be Told to Work on Holidays , and if they refused , get Fired ? Hell No , the Union Bosses would make Life Very Hard for them in more Ways than One . Food For Thought .....

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

after seeing what unions have done to other industries, like automobiles, I am dead set against unionization.

There is a difference between getting a fair shake for your employees, and running wages so high that the only way to compete is to go to China.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Isittruee

Quit complaining and get back to work!

this makes me sad. yes, just work your life away and forget that there is anything beyond work or money.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Bob Sholtz
reply to post by Isittruee

Quit complaining and get back to work!

this makes me sad. yes, just work your life away and forget that there is anything beyond work or money.

What my mom always told me growing up: "Work life supports a social life". Essentially, you don't forget that there is anything beyond work. You make plans that account for all aspects of your life. That is the grown up world: responsibilities.

My grandmother used to say, "When the going gets tough, the tough get to work". A strong work ethic makes you a more reliable person. And where I come from a man is only as good as his word. Reliability is everything.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Hey the guy got his job back. There is a God!

The Pizza Hut general manager who was fired this month because of his unwillingness to force employees to work on Thanksgiving will be offered his job back, the company told The Huffington Post Thursday. The decision to dismiss the general manager, Tony Rohr, from his job at the company’s location in Elkhart, Ind., quickly sparked online outcry, as people rallied behind Rohr and announced plans to avoid the chain in the future. In an emailed statement, Pizza Hut said the situation “could and should have been avoided” by the local franchisee that fired him. Company headquarters quickly pushed the franchisee to rehire Rohr. Here is the full statement from Pizza Hut:

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   

i reject those assertions.

i have enough land, know-how, and supplies to set up a vertical farming system that would virtually eliminate my need for money, however i am kept from doing this through taxes and arbitrary building laws.

would enacting the above require work? yes, and that isn't a bad thing, but that work would be for myself, my family, and my neighbors. it wouldn't take away the majority of my life such that my only free time is weekends.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Bob Sholtz

i reject those assertions.

i have enough land, know-how, and supplies to set up a vertical farming system that would virtually eliminate my need for money, however i am kept from doing this through taxes and arbitrary building laws.

would enacting the above require work? yes, and that isn't a bad thing, but that work would be for myself, my family, and my neighbors. it wouldn't take away the majority of my life such that my only free time is weekends.

Reject away. I would suggest to bolster your rejection, you show those employees how to be self maintained. Be the change you want to see. Most won't find reward in that lifestyle.

ETA: my grandmother gained her viewpoint during the Great Depression. If only she had been smart enough to plant stuff, her problems could have been solved. I wonder why Mesopotamia didn't think of that?
edit on 28-11-2013 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by Wingo

in my world, you either own your business (as metaphor/hyperbole) or you work in second rate companies where you suffer micromanagement.

Bingo.

It is a shame, but if you are not striving to be self sufficient where you aren't relying on these pigs for your income, you will be forever at their mercy.

The new America will be led by those who are not afraid of failure and risk. Those who seek the comforts of corporations will be the ones left hungry.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I have read through this and it appears not everyone has a turkey dinner with family on thanksgiving so I think its reasonable to keep these places open for others to eat. The Wendy's story is sad - especially the elderly going in on this day.

The thing that bothers me are the crazy sales that put shopping before board games and good old fashioned family time. Black Friday is how Thursday and I have a relative who got a 3 hour break from one of these places to eat and spend time with family (I believe he will put in 15 hours since he wanted to make the double and overtime). The store has been crazy busy and I heard there has already been an altercation with a customer getting physical. This particular store (Walmart), made a turkey dinner for their staff and are rewarding them heavily. They choose to be there for the crowds and while tired - there is a demand so they deal with it.

edit on 28-11-2013 by Dianec because: Mixed post (from another thread mixed with this one

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Willtell

The Pizza Hut general manager who was fired this month because of his unwillingness to force employees to work on Thanksgiving will be offered his job back, the company told The Huffington Post Thursday. The decision to dismiss the general manager, Tony Rohr, from his job at the company’s location in Elkhart, Ind., quickly sparked online outcry, as people rallied behind Rohr and announced plans to avoid the chain in the future. In an emailed statement, Pizza Hut said the situation “could and should have been avoided” by the local franchisee that fired him. Company headquarters quickly pushed the franchisee to rehire Rohr. Here is the full statement from Pizza Hut:

This is called dousing the flames.

It's not about the guy and the welfare of his family, but the damage the company would take in the eyes of consumers that feed these beasts the fuel they need to force their workers to work on days like Thanksgiving and Christmas.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   

supremecommander

Willtell

It's not about the guy and the welfare of his family, but the damage the company would take in the eyes of consumers that feed these beasts the fuel they need to force their workers to work on days like Thanksgiving and Christmas.

in a year he won't be there. He will either be micromanaged into quitting, or action planned into quitting.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Dianec
I have read through this and it appears not everyone has a turkey dinner with family on thanksgiving so I think its reasonable to keep these places open for others to eat. The Wendy's story is sad - especially the elderly going in on this day.

The thing that bothers me are the crazy sales that put shopping before board games and good old fashioned family time. Black Friday is how Thursday and I have a relative who got a 3 hour break from one of these places to eat and spend time with family (I believe he will put in 15 hours since he wanted to make the double and overtime). The store has been crazy busy and I heard there has already been an altercation with a customer getting physical. This particular store (Walmart), made a turkey dinner for their staff and are rewarding them heavily. They choose to be there for the crowds and while tired - there is a demand so they deal with it.

I personally won't be a part of that craziness - won't even go to a grocery There are two things I can think of - an autoimmune disorder which can be ruled out by some blood work. I would start with a family doc who will then go to dermatologist and then rheumatologist.
I only thought of this because you slept up against your husband and still woke with them.

You said you felt something touch you and then had these scratches - there can be a sensation of touch, numbness, tingling, burning, etc with an autoimmune disorder so please get this checked out as it could be soon enough to get it under control.

Or - it could be an entity. I've heard of unexplained scratches and even saw a special on this once - a couple had recorded the wife under attack. If you rule out the autoimmune thing I would stay out of that house. Or try to see if it happens elsewhere even once. If your health comes out clear it will be creepy to know there is no explanation. . People behave badly. When it comes to food delivery - it's likely due to people not celebrating or part of this pre-Black Friday thing.

The people who run out on days like today and tomorrow are the ones who feed this madness.

Materialistic pigs. I would love to spit on people who run out to stores to fight and treat the workers like garbage over sales.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

supremecommander

Willtell

in a year he won't be there. He will either be micromanaged into quitting, or action planned into quitting.

Correct. When the drones have forgotten their cause of the week, he will be out on the street in due time.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by supremecommander

A thanks for being so kind with your rely since I see this reply was mixed with a reply to another post. Very strange. Hmmm.

Anyway - I agree with you. They do feed this madness. I just heard that at Walmart a woman got hit in the eye. She isn't sure if it was on purpose or due to pushing but they had to call the police. Crazy. Aren't people embarrassed for behaving like that? I just can't see saving 5 bucks being worth that materialistic madness. The world has certainly changed.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by supremecommander

I agree. Its about nothing but the almighty dollar in the US to the detriment of the people.

Unbridled capitalism will be the death kneel of this country and probably the world.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

after seeing what unions have done to other industries, like automobiles, I am dead set against unionization.

There is a difference between getting a fair shake for your employees, and running wages so high that the only way to compete is to go to China.

I was not commenting about Wage Rates , but Workers Rights . If it wasen't for Unions , most People who Still have a Job would be living in Poverty Indefinately . I also agree with you about what some Unions have Morphed into Today with such Outragious Demands on some Employers that they literately Destroy more Jobs than they Preserve through Collective Bargaining .

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by starfoxxx

I believe the manager. corporate isn't accusing him of anything, that could and would be slander. treble damages on pain and suffering if found liable. This way, the profit loss to Pizza hut is minimized. Hence the manager must be telling the truth. He was fired. For if he wasn't fired, there could be a wrongful termination lawsuit with all the liability.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by starfoxxx

While I feel for the guy, let me ask you (and everyone else) this. How would you handle if all the stores, hotels, gas stations and the like being closed on Thanksgiving? Yet, people expect these same places to be open. Think about a hotel closing down on Thanksgiving day. How do you think that will play out? No clean sheets, no one to refil ice machines, no one to handle maintenance. (What if a toilette overflows?)

How about running out of gas? How about having an engine failure on the highway to visit the inlaws for some turkey?

Unfortunately, in some industries you have to make sacrifices. If you're not able to make those, you're probably in the wrong industry!

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join