It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Your GPU Can Be Used To Mine Bit Coins. By Someone Else.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Forward to 47 minutes for the juice.

This is Mark Russinovich of Windows Sysinternals fame giving one of his talks. Anyway the point is that the world was made quietly aware that there are viruses out there that can mine bit coins but not on your behalf. The really interesting thing is that the tool that Mark uses (process monitor-freely downloadable from the Sysinternals site) can be used to reveal the log in details of the remote miners bitcoin account and he goes on to say that this is OK because they are the ones who planted the virus.
edit on 27-11-2013 by cyoshi because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-11-2013 by cyoshi because: Correcting grammer.

edit on 27-11-2013 by cyoshi because: Typos

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Try putting some tin foil around the rabbit ears - all I'm seeing is static.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
at over $890 a coin today, can you blame them. lmao.

I don't mine bitcoins because it's just pointless without dedicated hardware. you can't mine them with gpus any more, you need asic miners. But with a billion people, the satoshis add up, so I can see it being something to look out for if you are really stupid and can't tell when your video card is running full throttle.. or your cpu is maxed out. or your fans are blowing hot air everywhere.. or your pc is just as slow as a wet week..

as it is I'm mining litecoin... even that has seen an increase of 500%... so it's actually worth while for me again. For now.

but I really doubt people are sneaking malware onto your pc for gpu mining. you'd know about it when your video card is blowing up...

also it would only work for amd video cards, nvidia cards do not do anything useful.

you would be in more danger of cpu miners in a botnet.. but as I say, if you know your pc, you know it's doing it. However, if your library has 5 pc's all running slow, I'd be changing the address of where the coins are sent

edit on 27-11-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Ok, I'm entirely worried that this guy is spreading such garbage.

He has no clue.

It's scrypt based, that means it is not bitcoin, it is litecoin.

it is spawning minerd. that is cpu based, not gpu based. minerd will not affect your gpu at all.

And he has no idea that everything he says is technically incorrect yet it sounds good enough to scare people.

ahhh god damn it.. lol..

wish I had not watched it now I was better off thinking it was legit.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by jibajaba

Thanks, I've fixed it now.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Mark Russimovich is a legend and he does know what he's talking about. Smart on another level me thinks. A lot of this stuff is really sophisticated and really well explained. What the hell makes you want to be half smart with a comment such as; "thought it was legit?" Keep up......just in case anyone feels put off by the comment, Mark is speaking at the Microsoft teched conference and is worth listening to.
edit on 27-11-2013 by cyoshi because: typos

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   

winofiend

but I really doubt people are sneaking malware onto your pc for gpu mining. you'd know about it when your video card is blowing up...

edit on 27-11-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

I guarantee you that they are.
I'm on a certain online hacking forum where I help people to sort their computers out after being hacked (white knight if you will)

If you look into botnets, you can BUY installs online, installs being people who are connected to the botnet, you can control their pc's, access websites for hits and views, get passwords off their pc's and ... Mining Bitcoins is very popular.

Botnets are a serious problem that you never really hear in the mainstream media but a large percentage of people, millions and millions are infected right now and they don't even know it.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I don't know why so many people are "buying into" (so to speak) bitcoin, let me put it this way, the old coder motto of "what can be written, can be read" still applies today...someday, people are going to lose a lot of actual money

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   

jimmyx
I don't know why so many people are "buying into" (so to speak) bitcoin, let me put it this way, the old coder motto of "what can be written, can be read" still applies today...someday, people are going to lose a lot of actual money

Have you seen how much they are now worth? Some may lose money in the end but at the moment they are only going one way, they were at $470 a bit coin the other week.
edit on 30am88amWed, 27 Nov 2013 08:56:26 -060030 by Taggart because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Taggart

I agree 100%...I don't know why people are so trusting of critical personal information being given out online...I don't care what bank, financial institution, business, or web entity, promises you in their security statements, they can be hacked. the element of "time" is the only hindrance. there is always someone more clever, and more dedicated, than you can believe is possible.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   

cyoshi
reply to post by winofiend

Mark Russimovich is a legend and he does know what he's talking about. Smart on another level me thinks. A lot of this stuff is really sophisticated and really well explained. What the hell makes you want to be half smart with a comment such as; "thought it was legit?" Keep up......just in case anyone feels put off by the comment, Mark is speaking at the Microsoft teched conference and is worth listening to.
edit on 27-11-2013 by cyoshi because: typos

He calls litecoin, bitcoin. Which by the way is not "Bit Coins".. He shows the process spawned is minerd, a CPU miner. Not a GPU miner. Yet he claims that the person who pointed it out says their GPU was going full throttle. Impossible, it's a CPU miner. He goes on to say he can't show the GPU process from the virtual machine. It would have made NO difference as it's a CPU miner and not a GPU miner.

He shows details of the minerd process revealing it using the scrypt algorithm. Bitcoin uses sha256.

Scrypt is not sha256. two very different algorithms, and both use completely different technology to mine.

So the entire premise of your thread is FUD.

He has NO clue when it comes to the topic you brought it here.. "Bitcoin". From the premise I thought it was a "legit" concern.

And if you believe it, that's not my god damned fault..

jesus christ....

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Taggart
I guarantee you that they are.

Not in the way presented in this thread. Not by common use of the net. Not by any of the usual or typical things people do daily online.

Targeted groups of machines, yes. Easily accessible machines, yes.

For the effort involved in getting people to download and install trojan software that then copies minerd across and sets it up to automatically run, you are not going to have a lot of success. You rely on an entire world full of idiots, or you target easily accessible open machines.

Or you use an entirely different method than proposed in this thread.

I've seen botnets in action. I know they exist. I've also seen gpu farms in action. People pay thousands of dollars to build dedicated gpu farms because they can make it back.

Regardless, the video shows some alleged tech guru speaking a load of rubbish and it's people like the OP who will believe it and spread it around to other people who have no clue, and why not.. 90% of the internet is sheer ignorance these days.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   

jimmyx

Perhaps an understanding of how the concept works, the blockchain, et al.. wou..\

oh never mind.

I'll be wasting my time...

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Taggart

jimmyx

Have you seen how much they are now worth? Some may lose money in the end but at the moment they are only going one way, they were at $470 a bit coin the other week.
edit on 30am88amWed, 27 Nov 2013 08:56:26 -060030 by Taggart because: (no reason given)

yeah, Taggart...although I will never get involved with bitcoin, I have watched it's "supposed" value fluctuate wildly. one of the problems I have with it, is the time lag of the "sell" compared to the quick time of the "buy"...my own feeble attempt at a description of bitcoin is "a well-managed and controlled Ponzi scheme"...

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Taggart

Wouldn't happen to be hackforums would it? I spent like two years there my junior and senior year, learning how viruses, loggers, botnets, RATS, etc worked. It was almost invaluable knowledge that contributed to my pretty decent computer security and protection skills. Now anytime I have a friend that gets their computer blown up with viruses and etc, I just take them off and fix their computer up for them.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Im not going to post to the pirate websites, but there are a few where you can download illegal versions of windows. The OS are zombies, created to utilize your machine after it idles. It begins to execute Java Scripts that mine bit coins on your hardware unknowingly. The minute you return to your pc it resumes normal function.

I have an acquaintance Dev, who has thousands tied up in BTC. He mines for a major pool. He is a software guru, web developer. He has a version of windows 7 that he has been modified for this use. Its well know and freely distributed on torrent sites.

The system is not genuine, all windows updated are hosted off his servers. Looks and feels like the real thing. But you get what you pay for, Steal software get had.

There are also malicious websites that inject the JS into your browser upon visiting, and stays active minting BTC while you visit.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   

winofiend

jimmyx

Perhaps an understanding of how the concept works, the blockchain, et al.. wou..

oh never mind.

I'll be wasting my time...

winofriend...I have no delusions that I WOULD understand the design, coupled with the architecture of bitcoin, I am not that naïve...at my present age of 60+ years, the required mental acumen, along with the needed passion is long gone for me. I now rely on what is said publicly and privately by others, and what is written on the bitcoin website itself. what is not said, is sometimes more important than what is....
edit on 27-11-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-11-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
double post
edit on 30am99amWed, 27 Nov 2013 09:58:17 -060030 by Taggart because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

VeritasAequitas
reply to post by Taggart

Wouldn't happen to be hackforums would it?

It would be yes

WINOFIEND

My apologies jumping the gun earlier, I assumed from the video without watching the whole thing.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I'd just get a job at the factory and install the viruses before the hardware ships. Hell, you could build the code into the components instead of the finished product if you were really sneaky.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join