It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thanks, America

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

And Mr. Wok.... I'm pretty sure you'd be speaking German right now, if not for the timely intervention of Americans when you were close to your death kneel. I certainly had no intention of this thread turning into something nasty and degrading to all of us, we should know better than to take what was intended as ultimately a "Thanksgiving" wish for you all, and turning it into what it has digressed to. None the less, I wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving if you celebrate the day and a Merry Christmas. I'm hoping we all make it that far. Sorry to ruffle your feathers, or is that fur?

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   

be4ne1

And Mr. Wok.... I'm pretty sure you'd be speaking German right now, if not for the timely intervention of Americans when you were close to your death kneel.

oooo how cute your one of THOSE yanky doodles with the brain washed warped view of ww2.

You need to read up on the battle of britain. That which I guess they dont teach in yanky doodle school, is the battle were the luftwaffe tried to gain air superiority over Britain so the invasion would beguin. Britain won, won completly and this was in 1940 before the USA ever got involved

As long as we had air and navy supriority over the channel there would have been NO german invasion, and Germany never got close.

Also seeing as the russians acounted for 9/10 german causalties I think the thanks for both of us should be to them really.

Now the french? Yeah they may owe you there thanks and Britain although able to hold its ground would not have been able liberate france on its own. But they you did owe them for them saveing your arses in the revolusion.

I was willing to call this thread quits. As I jumped in wrongly at the beguining not thinking it was a holiday post. But now you bring FALSE history.....well....

By the way thank you Canada for helping us in our hour of need and all the brave Candians who died over the channel

edit on 27-11-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   

be4ne1

And Mr. Wok.... I'm pretty sure you'd be speaking German right now, if not for the timely intervention of Americans when you were close to your death kneel.

Why even go there? Not only is it antagonistic but it's inaccurate.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

intrepid

be4ne1

Why even go there? Not only is it antagonistic but it's inaccurate.

I know I was about to quit this thread as a mistake, IE jumping in without thinking it was a holiday thread (im rusty on US holidays) and even give the OP a Pm to appoligise......but now.....

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   

If I am wrong, which apparently I am, I deeply apologize for any misunderstanding on my part. A little Wok is something I don't wanna upset. Will you forgive Me?

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

be4ne1

If I am wrong, which apparently I am, I deeply apologize for any misunderstanding on my part. A little Wok is something I don't wanna upset. Will you forgive Me?

Forgiven
And happy thanksgiving. And for something positive I will say you have a very natrually beutifall country. Nowere I think has such variety of landscapes and nature.

But please do read up on the Battle of Britain. It basicaly is one of the most important Air campaigns of the European theater and first NAZI set backs. It was the Midway of Europe basicaly.

Britain basicaly destroyed the German Airforce in a couple of months. It even went as far as causeing shortages of air support on the russian front.

Britain was far far far from the french in military and attitude in world war 2

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

You just called me thin-skinned... no inferrence needed to see the insult.

I am also an american... and the Native Americans helped the pilgrims survive, which is the whole point of Thanksgiving.

All I'm asking is why look inwards at how great the US during this holiday, rather than look outwards to a world in need?... Just as the Native Americans did for the pilgrims.

American "greatness" started with need.

Very good at actually avoiding any of the more pertinent and actual content or questions in my posts... yes... you did respond... very angrily.

I guess I should say thanks, though the irony kind of hurts.

Regardless... thanks for your response. ;-)

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by be4ne1

Not particularly well from my viewpoint (just as the Native Americans have largely lost their culture... in the name of progress... which shows a lack of empathy), but I didn't start a thread saying how great Australian imperialism is, and I accept the faults with both of my countries... US and Australia.

Look... I love aspects of the US, just as I love aspects of Australia, but when I celebrate Thanksgiving, I think about what that "thanks" means, and the true cost in the long run to the Native Americans, and it isn't a wonderful picture that has developed.

The pilgrims clearly came out on top in the end, and to me that isn't true thanks to the plight that the help engendered for the pilgrims... help the Native American gave freely.

Again... what is the last thing that the US gave freely to the rest of the world?... that the rest of the world can "thank" America for?

It's hard to keep the sarcasm out, but I'm trying... thanks for the response.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by puzzlesphere

An ironic post from someone from the home of the "abos". Not a single country out there that doesn't have similar sins.

Yes, yes, that's not an excuse, but it's amazing that those never get mentioned...ever. I sneer at the hypocrisy of it.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

"The best". What does that mean anyway. That sounds like a juvenile game. I don't think my country is the best. I don't think my husband or my kids are "the best". But we keep trying to get there. I guess we will know what "the best" is when we get there.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by nwtrucker

Read my last posts... I am in no way excusing any other countries. Australian treatment of the Aboriginal culture (calling them Abos is very direspectful) is to this day still abhorrent.

... but that's another thread.

In a time of thanks, touting "American" greatness is disengenous.

Happy thanksgiving.

Cheers

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

By the President of the United States of America, a Proclamation.

Whereas it is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor-- and whereas both Houses of Congress have by their joint Committee requested me to recommend to the People of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness.

Now therefore I do recommend and assign Thursday the 26th day of November next to be devoted by the People of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being, who is the beneficent Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be-- That we may then all unite in rendering unto him our sincere and humble thanks--for his kind care and protection of the People of this Country previous to their becoming a Nation--for the signal and manifold mercies, and the favorable interpositions of his Providence which we experienced in the course and conclusion of the late war--for the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty, which we have since enjoyed--for the peaceable and rational manner, in which we have been enabled to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national One now lately instituted--for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed; and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and in general for all the great and various favors which he hath been pleased to confer upon us.

and also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech him to pardon our national and other transgressions-- to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually--to render our national government a blessing to all the people, by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed--to protect and guide all Sovereigns and Nations (especially such as have shewn kindness unto us) and to bless them with good government, peace, and concord--To promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the encrease of science among them and us--and generally to grant unto all Mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as he alone knows to be best.

Given under my hand at the City of New York the third day of October in the year of our Lord 1789.

Go: Washington

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

charles1952

By the President of the United States of America, a Proclamation.

Whereas it is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor-- and whereas both Houses of Congress have by their joint Committee requested me to recommend to the People of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness.

Now therefore I do recommend and assign Thursday the 26th day of November next to be devoted by the People of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being, who is the beneficent Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be-- That we may then all unite in rendering unto him our sincere and humble thanks--for his kind care and protection of the People of this Country previous to their becoming a Nation--for the signal and manifold mercies, and the favorable interpositions of his Providence which we experienced in the course and conclusion of the late war--for the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty, which we have since enjoyed--for the peaceable and rational manner, in which we have been enabled to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national One now lately instituted--for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed; and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and in general for all the great and various favors which he hath been pleased to confer upon us.

and also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech him to pardon our national and other transgressions-- to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually--to render our national government a blessing to all the people, by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed--to protect and guide all Sovereigns and Nations (especially such as have shewn kindness unto us) and to bless them with good government, peace, and concord--To promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the encrease of science among them and us--and generally to grant unto all Mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as he alone knows to be best.

Given under my hand at the City of New York the third day of October in the year of our Lord 1789.

Go: Washington

George Washington. Slave owner.
If God had meet with Washington, he would have ripped that up in disgust for it's hypocrisy.
edit on 27-11-2013 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   

I understand your not directly excusing other countries, yet you only single out the U.S. on a Patriotic post, demeaning that post and this nation. That was your intent.

Don't be surprised when you get a rebuttal in the same ilk.

Have a good day...

P.S. I'm fully aware of the demeaning intention in "abos". It's yours after all. Not ours-we have our own to deal with- wogs, kaffers, it's a human condition, not an American one....

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

I'm having a little trouble understanding your post, and could use help with it.

Oh, I understand the hatred, anger, and pettiness, the desire to spoil something good, but I don't understand the substance of your remark.

Yes, George Washington was a slave owner, he inherited 10 as a child, and ended up with about 300. At the time, was that considered especially vile and sinful? Sure, it is now, but was it then? Remember that the slave trade existed largely because Africans would sell other Africans they had conquered in battle or found guilty of crimes.

Of the nine presidents who owned slaves, only Washington freed his. He resisted efforts to make him a king and established the precedent that no one should serve more than two terms as president. He voluntarily yielded power. His enemy, George III, remarked in 1796, as Washington’s second term was coming to an end, "If George Washington goes back to his farm, he will be the greatest character of his age." As George Will wrote, "the final component of Washington’s indispensability was the imperishable example he gave by proclaiming himself dispensable." (Emphasis added)

www.smithsonianmag.com...

So explain to me why God would destroy the proclamation. Is it not a good one? If God did convict Washington of hypocrisy, would He not have torn up Washington and let the proclamation stand?

Or, do you object because of the frequent mention to God? Or, do you have some other objection?

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

I think the point he is makeing (corrcet me if wrong) is that many in America seem to hold Washington up as someone to aspire to or admire and view him as a pure man. When the opposite is true, he was just as rotton on a personal level as the people he was fighting if not worse in some ways.

The man was crook, luckly he was fighting for the right side.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

As you appear to be having trouble understanding my point let me extract this from Washington's speech or declaration or whatever it was:-

"to render our national government a blessing to all the people"

That is true hypocrisy. It should read " "to render our national government a blessing to all the people, unless you are a slave of course"

And George Washington being a slave owner of course.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Cripes. How did we get to this? Slavery is a thing of the past now. Here. I love that some point out African peoples that sold other African peoples into slavery. Kinda takes off the onus that it was British, Dutch, Spanish, Portuguese, etc that bought and transported the Black people to the new world. Hell, even the old world. Indian(Asian) slaves taken to South Africa.

That is a thing of the past. And all this because an American decided to post a positive message in a negative time. @@

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

intrepid
Cripes. How did we get to this? Slavery is a thing of the past now. Here. I love that some point out African peoples that sold other African peoples into slavery. Kinda takes off the onus that it was British, Dutch, Spanish, Portuguese, etc that bought and transported the Black people to the new world. Hell, even the old world. Indian(Asian) slaves taken to South Africa.

That is a thing of the past. And all this because an American decided to post a positive message in a negative time. @@

The foundation of the United States was built upon the backs of slaves.

Not a very good start is it?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join