It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Upstate NY, Canada: Meteor or Earthquake? Loud Sound and Shaking on Tuesday

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   

A loud sound and shaking in upstate New York and Canada near Montreal spurred a flood of speculation about an earthquake or meteor on Tuesday night.

Both the U.S. Geological Survey and Earthquakes Canada said it wasn’t an earthquake, but residents weren’t sure.

“Did anyone just feel an earthquake? My little house just shook in Saranac,” said Danika Casey via Facebook.

“So am I mentally challenged or did anyone else feel that earthquake?” said Kelsey Tremblay of Montreal via Twitter.

“Felt like an explosion, or a ‘short’ earthquake,” Faith MacLeod said on Facebook. “Stepped outside and neighbours were out wondering what it was.”

Others weren’t sure what it was.

“Saw flash then heard and felt in Hudson,” said Caitlin of Montreal. “VERY strong- shook the house and rattled windows.”

“We saw a blue flash 1-2 sec long at 7:30 followed by a loud detonation 10 min later,” said Nora Hague of St. Lazare.

Astronomy writer Andrew Fazekas said that the event was a “possible meteor,” and that it was reported from Ottawa, Ontario through Laval, Quebec.

He elaborated to CTV that a meteor is usually around the size of a small car and travels up to 60,000 kilometers an hour–faster than the speed of sound–which would cause a sonic boom upon entering the lower part of our atmosphere.

“Checking meteor report & skycam clearinghouses but nothing yet,” he said via Twitter. “May only be tomorrow sometime when footage gets uploaded.”

Upstate NY, Canada: Meteor or Earthquake? Loud Sound and Shaking on Tuesday

hisz.rsoe.hu...

I searched and found posts on this same sort of occurence in upstate NY in the past, but none on this yesterday.
Did any of you from that area feel/hear this?

I don't have much of an opinion as I have curiosity- what could it be? And why has it happened so often in that specific area?

Was hoping for input from other posters on that!
edit on 27-11-2013 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 02:52 AM
link   
No one on my facebook mentioned anything, have lots of family and friends back in upstate NY.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Been stormy and cloudy.

Would have to have lit up the clouds.

Then the high humidity atmosphere would be better at transferring the blast wave.

Like sound will travel further through water.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 05:07 AM
link   

AbleEndangered
Been stormy and cloudy.

Would have to have lit up the clouds.

Then the high humidity atmosphere would be better at transferring the blast wave.

Like sound will travel further through water.

Thats the sign

I search on usgs but nothing happen sir..maybe you can ask your nighbour
edit on 27-11-2013 by cheesy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 05:30 AM
link   
I live in upstate NY and didn't see or hear anything unusual..just lots of snow lol :-)

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I live in upstate NY and I'm going to go ahead and guess that it's a storm related issue. I know here in Monroe County there were electrical explosions and power outages last night

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I agree with Dorkfish, that its probably storm related. Maybe a transformer blew causing the blue flash.
Saw & felt nothing in Central NY state (Syracuse area). Near the Canadian border, there is the Massena - Cornwall fault, which is near where this event took place. That's where the biggest earthquake took place in NY back in the 1940's. USGS is showing nothing for this event though.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Had not seen your post this morning and started a thread
, it seems this may have been a meteorite...

Here

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Living in Upstate NY just outside of Albany I did not hear or feel anything. That's bizarre. The last couple of earthquakes we had I felt them can't say the same for this.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

I ws watching TV and then my dogs and I heard a loud boom!!! The boom was quick and sounded more like bass. I paused for a second and the dogs started barking.

I had an unsettling feeling and continued with my show. Later on Facebook people everywhere as far as Ontario, I live in Quebec, Laval, heard it!

Either the sky lit up because of the electromagnetic fields of HAARP which caused some kind of explosion.

A meteor entered our atmosphere causing a light show and the boom was it hitting the ground or the sonic boom of it entering our atmosphere breaking the speed of sound.

A UFO crash landing.

Or some weird weather phenomenon.

Or thor! Or Superman........oh or the autobots

edit on 27-11-2013 by bitsforbytes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by mistressofspice

Transformers are not heard or seen over such a large distance. From USA NY to some parts of Quebec in the opposite direction?

If it was then it would have to be a HUGE power transformer that would result in a massive power outage that would last a long time as replacing these huge beats of passive electronics is quite an undertaking.

Let us check!

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by bitsforbytes

No cannot find any major power outages in Quebec yesterday. there seem to be some in NY, but they look very small, as in not many users affected.

I don't think this is caused by a power transformer. Like I said the distance was too big for the sound to be heard and felt and seen in so many cases.

During the ice storm of 1999 here in Quebec transformers were blowing up and lighting up left and right. Never was loud and as bright as this.

Unless it was a transformer like a Decepticon.

Mysterious....Mysterious indeed!

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by mistressofspice

I agree with Dorkfish

I'm picturing you saying this very sincerely out of context and it cracks me up. 'Honey, I think I agree with dorkfish.'

That being said, I agree with you and Dorkfish too. I think something obviously happened, but probably not an earthquake or meteor. Good thunderclap close enough is going to rattle windows.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Do you live near treed areas? I know when the temp drops below freezing some trees can explode

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
www.cbc.ca...

Never mind, evidently it was a meteor

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
North west Ontario here and my sky cam did not pick up anything
But it only cover about 500 mile diameter
did not come from my direction Sorry
Sure would of made my day if I could of pick-up the start or the end of it
But here what it got on Nov 9/13

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I live in Quebec and it was very funny to see a post from TVA (our MSM here) on facebook asking the population if they witnessed anything weird or if they had pics or vids cause they didn't know anything about what happened...
A MSM asking the population what happens???? LMAO

new topics

top topics

join