It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House threatens to pull all US troops out of Afghanistan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Yes folks, you read that right. This week, the negotiations being reported on for US Status of Forces in Afghanistan beyond 2014 have been ongoing. Far from any intention of leaving by 2014, the discussion of how many would be left and how long, were starting as early as February of this year.

Here is where things stand as of now...and again, you really did read that right. They are threatening to PULL OUT. As if this is a BAD THING they hadn't directly promised OUR nation, they would do.

Amid signs that patience for the process may be faltering in Washington, officials say that US national security adviser Susan Rice warned Karzai, the Afghan president, that his latest proposal to delay signing the deal until next year would jeopardise their plan to keep a security presence in the country after the bulk of US troops pull out.

"Ambassador Rice reiterated that, without a prompt signature, the US would have no choice but to initiate planning for a post-2014 future in which there would be no US or Nato troop presence in Afghanistan," said a White House spokesman.

Well, golly... Someone correct me, but that future is precisely what we were told WOULD be the case if we re-elected Obama and Biden. It was that evil Romney, we were told, who had no intention of ending the war and merely reducing numbers, if anything.

(Truth be told, I doubt either of them would have ended it...but only one side demanded they would..and lied so badly, it's staggering to consider.)

There IS a purpose to all this, it seems.

However, if the US does not strike a deal in Afghanistan after 2014, they have no staging ground to launch drone strikes into Pakistan, or would have to negotiate one with one off the former Soviet republics, giving a wider strategic importance to the clash with Karzai. Karzai's spokesman has said that he does not believe the "zero option" is a real possibility.
Source

I took the liberty of pulling up some background information from DEEP in the past. Just over a year ago, in fact. Ancient History by modern standards..but still, important for this. First, the man saying it with his own voice.

and then, I took a bit of time to pull the full transcipt of the 2012 VP debate in question. You see, his ABSOLUTE statements of withdrawl hit me so strong at the time for outright lies to our face, I made a point of remembering it.....for I KNEW this day would come and not too far into the future, too. I'm sorry I was proven right...and very sorry for the people still fighting and dying over there for years to come.

Reference #1

And, in fact, in the meantime, what we said we would do, we would help train the Afghan military. It's their responsibility to take over their own security. That's why with 49 of our allies in Afghanistan, we've agreed on a gradual drawdown so we're out of there by the year 20 -- in the year 2014.

Reference #2

But we are leaving. We are leaving in 2014. Period. And in the process, we're going to be saving over the next 10 years another $800 billion. We've been in this war for over a decade. The primary objective is almost completed. Now, all we're doing is putting the Kabul government in a position to be able to maintain their own security.

Reference #3

RYAN: We do agree -- we do agree with the timeline and the transition, but what we -- what any administration will do in 2013 is assess the situation to see how best to complete this timeline. What we do not want to do...

BIDEN: We will leave in 2014.

Reference #4 (and what is heard on the Video in part)

BIDEN: Forty-nine of our allies -- hear me -- 49 of our allies signed on to this position.

RYAN: And we're reading that they want to...

(CROSSTALK)

BIDEN: Forty-nine -- 49 of our allies said "out in 2014." It's the responsibility of the Afghans. We have other responsibilities... (CROSSTALK)

RADDATZ: Do you really think that this timeline...

What the transcript didn't catch for "crosstalk" was what the video did clearly record and that was Biden making clear the 49 allies signing on was to the position of leaving in 2014.

So... When people ask me why I don't believe a single word either Biden or Obama say on ANYTHING? This, and many examples like it, are precisely why. I have family in the Armed Forces and one who may well still have rotations to pull in and out of that hell hole.

No more.. We were promised..absolutely promised...a withdrawal in 2014. Even THAT is too late and beyond what this President was elected to accomplish in 2008. Now, far from seeing a withdrawal, the White House THREATENS against others...what they PROMISED US...as if it's a punishment to KEEP THEIR DAMN WORD.

Imagine..if they ever intended to end these wars. They'd have BEEN over a long time ago. More loss, more cost and more death. That's all we seem to have for the years to come. More of the same, with fewer in place to do it. The worst of all worlds.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Afternoon,

They won't leave IMO.
There's too much money in Opium there for them to cut and run.

-Peace-

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
We'll there ya go, maybe Obama is finally getting a clue. Bring um home now. Let someone else protect the heroin business.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
'Threatening' to do something that they promised to do anyways. YIKES
It's never ending with these guys, is it? Just when you think they've reached
the heights of stupidity and they have nothing left in their bag of tricks ...
they reach in and surprise us with something else. WOW.

ETA .. the 'stupidity' isn't the pulling out .. we should have done that long ago.
The 'stupidity' is the 'THREAT' thing ...
edit on 11/26/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Eryiedes
Afternoon,

They won't leave IMO.
There's too much money in Opium there for them to cut and run.

-Peace-

Not just opium. Afghanistan is rich in all sorts of minerals, rare metals, and other things that mankind likes to mine for.

I'd love to see the US withdraw from there, but I just don't think it will happen anytime soon. McCain was right when he expected this to be a 100 year 'war.'*

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I am absolutely floored by the fact that anyone believed Obama/Biden.

Why are so many intelligent people so easily fooled by such cheap tricks?

I'm not a republican nor a democrat. At this point, it's safe to say that neither party has any interest in the opinions of the American public.

Devils.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Seeing the change in economics and how the US is in decline and China is on the rise maybe the plan is to have the Pashtuns bearing another nation like so many that have gone before....I have some serious admiration for those people . I wished the tribes of Turtle Island had been so determined to reject these Euro/Satanic buggers from the beginning .We may well have been far advanced in so many ways and still be able to drink water from our streams and rivers . But yea the Us is falling and by the looks of it they wont support the whore that has been riding the beast by closing their embassy at the Vatican as well . Interesting times to be sure

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Hi Wrabbit,

just a quick run and gun response to the title.

Is that comedy,

I see they are threatening Karzai with withdrawal, however I seen the title and laughed out loud, who are they threatening this with when a majority of the real world I assume don't want the US being police everywhere they feel the need to be governed correctly

More than 50% of Americans don't want their troops there I believe so it was amusing to read the title from a conspiracy nuts point of view without knowing they were threatening Afgan with withdrawal.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Whatever happened to "These colors don't run"? Oh yeah that's when there's a republican president. That aside, I say get em out, the quicker the better.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by jrod

Unfortunately, I think you're right on that. We are there for the long term or until we're militarily stomped. That is something, sadly, I expect to see happen too.

The Russians learned in blood, the Afghanis and Arab fighters can and will mass for coordinated overrunning of a base facility and they got fairly good at it too. The Russians, of all people, did NOT lose positions without one hell of a fight. They still lost. We've had something they didn't. We've had the almost God-Like advantage of high air cover backed by whatever ground support was needed, on call, 24/7 if the need was urgent enough.

If we drop from nearly 50,000 men to around 8,000 men? Well, we aren't a major military power in that nation anymore...but we ARE still in the middle of a very active war zone where the enemy absolutely does still see us as the ones to kill at any cost.

We're insuring defeat in a spectacular way...and perhaps by the only method that CAN happen to our troops, short of a MAJOR world power fighting to that outcome. We're undercutting them, while still leaving their butts swinging in the breeze and without any other support to call on.

This won't end well, I fear ..and Saigon may look quaint and orderly by comparison, IMO.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
If the US leave suddenly this will create a power vacuum, and there will be civil war again.

This needs careful consideration.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Why the hell are we still there anyway?

It surely isn't to secure victory!

Bring em home!

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Apparently this administration likes the money they get from the Military Industrial Complex as much as the last administration did. I am shocked!!! Do you hear me? Shocked!!!

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   

I think there are some misconceptions here. The troops are still coming home. What is being negotiated is for a small contingency group to stay on and complete the training mission so that Afghanistan can protect itself.

We are talking around five thousand troops. Part of this group will SF with CIA attached. They will be there to take targets as they present, they will also have drone and air support.

If you talk to the veterans most will tell you this is what they want, to finish the job and not let their brothers bloodshed to be in vain. Despite the objections of the many we need this small presence hear. It is really more to keep watch on the tribal area of Pakistan which is a terrorist factory.

It has been the most difficult mission for military trainers ever lol. The Afghanistan conscripts are peasants and goat herders. They can not read or write for the most part. You have to teach them to do everything, including read and write. Lol.

Many up and leave to go tend their goats etc. If we leave without them being able to defend and protect themselves we will have to go back anyway. As much as we may not like it we need strategic presence.

I don't like it either but think it must be done.

The Bot

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Let's not forget the DEA is also involved in Afghan. If the military pulls out, there will still be the alphabet and mercenaries that will stay behind to do whatever they do over there.

About a year ago I had a talk with a Colonel who was about to deploy over there. He said the strategy was to go after the Taliban's and the 'terrorists' money. So when they find someone over there with any kind of money they kill them and take their money. This happens yet we still are paying the Taliban to not attack convoys.

It is a mess over there and it appears there is no clear strategy.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by dlbott

Actually, it's considerably more than that. This is from Voice of America news, which is basically to the U.S. what RT is to Russia.

The security agreement spells out terms under which an estimated 10,000 U.S. troops would remain in Afghanistan to assist the government in its war against Taliban insurgents. It also involves billions of dollars worth of assistance to the Afghan security forces and Afghanistan's fledgling democratic institutions.
Source

The reports from Central Command statements since Feb of 2013 have indicated the force there will assist in targeted counterinsurgency operations as well as aid and security to training and support services for the Kabul Government.

The stories out today add the aspect about jump bases for drone operations into Pakistan, but that's certainly another area being highlighted as a capability lost if Karzai doesn't come onboard to extend the US troop presence.

My attitude on this is simple. We should have spiked equipment in place, blown our facilities in full and bugged out of that country with all possible speed as soon as the political decision was made to give up on any form of 'victory' or favorable outcome. This is Vietnam with sand in terms of open ended nonsense for shifting reasons and no clear exit plan..even now.

edit on 26-11-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   

I think you are hitting the paroveriabel nail on the head .I guess history is correct in that Afghanistan has buried all other Nations up to now .Maybe its time that the Dragon take them on ...There seems to be a really big shift moving and we can only guess what direction it will come from but China is my guess ...

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
-EDIT- Comment removed. I was going to make a point but fired it from the hip before I thought it through. I have nothing meaningful to contribute to this discussion.
edit on 26-11-2013 by ArchAngel_X because: removed comment

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jrod

Gee....I just wonder who owns all those little mines???? Rhetorical. But yeah, the opium is why we're there. Big pharma isn't gonna allow the US to pull any troops from there. We shouldn't have any troops anywhere but home. This war mongering has to stop.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   

From what I read the US forces are going to be there until 2024.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join