It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extremely bad customer service. WWYD?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

caseman1967
I disagree with trying to schmooze your server. You are the one with the money which means YOU are the boss that needs to be appeased. I say NO TIP, and here is why: That server may wait 50 more tables like yours that may feel obligated to tip at least $1.....that server made $50 clear that will NOT be reported on any tax form and what did he/she learn? Be a person who doesn't even try to go beyond basic service and you will still get free money. So I say NO TIP. I'd rather go to the cook's window, place my order and pick up my food and silverware than give a slacker a damn dime. Then, tip the cook!
edit on 23-11-2013 by caseman1967 because: (no reason given)

A lot of restaurants make their servers pay out their tips to the restaurant first. Depending on how many tables they served. In some cases this can lead them to having no tips. Another way to ding them, is some places artificially lower wages and use the tip pool to pay out employees.

It depends on the area. But it's not as if waiting tables is letting this people buy ferraris and lambos. Most servers get by just barely or depending on the establishment live decent means but not excess.

I find people who refuse to leave tips are just inherently cheap, and look for the dumbest excuses to show their true nature.

Personally, I tip 20% on everything when I get good service, I tip 10% when dissatisfied.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I ordinarily tip 20% regardless of quality of service. This is because I don't consider each dine-out experience to be an opportunity to sit in judgement of one of my fellow human beings. People absolutely LOVE any chance to lord over someone else and being a "customer" (who is always right) grants them The Power to be Judge Judy & Executioner. NO REFILLS!? THAT, SIR, IS AN OUTRAGE AND VENGEANCE SHALL BE MINE! UNDERTIPPING DEPLOYED!

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   

boncho

caseman1967
I disagree with trying to schmooze your server. You are the one with the money which means YOU are the boss that needs to be appeased. I say NO TIP, and here is why: That server may wait 50 more tables like yours that may feel obligated to tip at least $1.....that server made $50 clear that will NOT be reported on any tax form and what did he/she learn? Be a person who doesn't even try to go beyond basic service and you will still get free money. So I say NO TIP. I'd rather go to the cook's window, place my order and pick up my food and silverware than give a slacker a damn dime. Then, tip the cook!

A lot of restaurants make their servers pay out their tips to the restaurant first. Depending on how many tables they served. In some cases this can lead them to having no tips. Another way to ding them, is some places artificially lower wages and use the tip pool to pay out employees.

It depends on the area. But it's not as if waiting tables is letting this people buy ferraris and lambos. Most servers get by just barely or depending on the establishment live decent means but not excess.

I find people who refuse to leave tips are just inherently cheap, and look for the dumbest excuses to show their true nature.

Personally, I tip 20% on everything when I get good service, I tip 10% when dissatisfied.

You make a great point, service staff are most definitely not living it large. Id wager that they struggle like the rest of us. Id also go so far as to say its amazing they can find it within themselves to have good service at all, with all the grief they face from the "entitled" customer base and selfish bosses. They are between a rock and a hard place.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I always sit where my favorite servers work. I tip them well because they treat me well.
Poor service gets no tip or very little tip.
Nobody should ever tip out of guilt.
Service work is hard but it still requires courtesy.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Excellent points most restaurants have a tipshare pool that all servers have to pay into. The amount they owe is a percentage of their total sales.

Imagine if people outside of the service industry had their pay docked everytime they slacked off. 99% of people would have their paychecks severely reduced because no one is perfect, and if the boss pockets that money they are going to find every reason to dock you.

You turned in a report 2 minutes later than expected that's $1 off your paycheck. You used the wrong font oh that's another dollar. Its wrong go redo it and also your not gonna get paid for the time you spent doing it wrong.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Urantia1111
I ordinarily tip 20% regardless of quality of service. This is because I don't consider each dine-out experience to be an opportunity to sit in judgement of one of my fellow human beings. People absolutely LOVE any chance to lord over someone else and being a "customer" (who is always right) grants them The Power to be Judge Judy & Executioner. NO REFILLS!? THAT, SIR, IS AN OUTRAGE AND VENGEANCE SHALL BE MINE! UNDERTIPPING DEPLOYED!

LMAO Wow.

Why not just tip some server who has nothing to do with your table? And tip another customer sitting at another table while you're at it. I mean, they're providing the same service as a server who does nothing, so why not...right?

It's a job, much like any other job...and a tip is provided for a job well done. There's no sense of entitlement anywhere in my OP. I didn't order a lavish meal with a specific way to prepare my food. I sat down to eat at a restaurant. We could have chosen one where we stood up, walked across the place and got our own drinks, but we didn't. We chose one where a service is provided by a wait staff.

Your whole post reads like some sad attempt to differ from the norm. Bless your little heart.
edit on 23-11-2013 by zillah because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

OneManArmy
You make a great point, service staff are most definitely not living it large. Id wager that they struggle like the rest of us. Id also go so far as to say its amazing they can find it within themselves to have good service at all, with all the grief they face from the "entitled" customer base and selfish bosses. They are between a rock and a hard place.

And that's why I normally tip pretty well, in my opinion. I was willing to leave a $10 tip for a $7 meal. That's not unusual. I always pay with cash, handed directly to my server so that 1 - They have their tip in hand, and 2 - their tip isn't eaten up by any debit/credit charges.

I've seen downright rude customers - the kind who seriously cause a scene and humiliate anyone standing in a one mile radius. I've seen people send food back, ignore their server, become absolute horrors because something goes wrong and they're expecting some weird sort of perfection. The list goes on and on. People in the service industry are crapped all over, and expected to smile anyway...which is why I could not conscientiously leave no tip.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by zillah

It's a job, much like any other job...and a tip is provided for a job well done. There's no sense of entitlement anywhere in my OP. I didn't order a lavish meal with a specific way to prepare my food. I sat down to eat at a restaurant. We could have chosen one where we stood up, walked across the place and got our own drinks, but we didn't. We chose one where a service is provided by a wait staff.

You kind of just said it there. You choose a place where you got service, waitstaff being in a service job, providing service, which the tip pays for.

While I usually cut my tip for bad service, I don't think you should judge someone who always pays 20%. This is a social custom, and is based on industry standards. If you feel like you haven't gotten your money worth, you can always choose somewhere else the next time.

I always hear people complain about tipping, yet if they pay $7 more for a steak, and it's not as good, where is the outrage?

I ate a $120 steak the other day, and god's honest truth it was about as good as a $50 steak at the place I normally go to. But we chose the second one because it's 'posh' 'in', whatever you want to call it.

In any case, if you want to eat at fast food places and never tip, you can. But the custom is to tip minimum 10% and 20% for satisfied service. Extra is always appreciated.

Consider the tip pooling too, because just if a server gives you bad service, there are many other people in the restaurant that rely on tips as well. Also consider that when you go to a lawyer, a doctor, or any other thing similar, when you get bad service you don't refuse part of the wages. If you lose your case, or they don't cure your disease you don't tell them, "Hey, turns out I'm only gonna give you $_____.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   

I don't think you should judge someone who always pays 20%.

If someone wants to tip 20%, more power to them, but stating "This is because I don't consider each dine-out experience to be an opportunity to sit in judgement of one of my fellow human beings. People absolutely LOVE any chance to lord over someone else and being a "customer" (who is always right) grants them The Power to be Judge Judy & Executioner. NO REFILLS!? THAT, SIR, IS AN OUTRAGE" - a lovely post by Urantia1111, is ludicrous.

The custom is to tip minimum 10% and 20% for satisfied service.

I know that. LOL. I usually tip around or a bit over what my meal costs, depending on what I eat; I keep stating the fact that my normal tip is never lacking, but people keeps honing in on how I must be feeling entitled like royalty because I expected my server to bring my mother and I a drink refill. THE HORROR.

If I can't afford to tip my server, I don't go out to eat - it's that simple.

So you see, my dollar tip was something like 13.5%. I don't need it drilled into my head what tipping rates are. LMAO.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   

caseman1967
.....that server made $50 clear that will NOT be reported on any tax form and what did he/she learn?

Someone currently in restaurant service correct me if things have changed, but when I worked at a large chain restaurant like the one mentioned here your sales are put on your check stub and W2 and the IRS automatically assumes you make a minimum 8% tip and that's what you get taxed on.

Smaller places that don't have a fancy computer system listing each employee's individual sales I'm not sure how they figure it at the IRS. If you work at a higher end place you get zinged like 18% of your sales. So for me if I get crap service I always tip at least 8% unless they are REALLY bad then well, I'm not nice so

Lil

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by zillah

I would not have assumed that the waiter was being rude, there may have been any number of things on his mind. Maybe his mother is ill and he was expecting a call. Maybe he was just told he was getting the sack because he never makes enough tips. Maybe he was just told he has cancer. Maybe he was extremely tired after working 3 jobs. Maybe all day long he had to put up with clients who give him nothing but stiff lip.

And your tip would have made his day. Instead, he now feels more miserable about life.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   

boncho
maybe his mom just died

Bloody nora B man, I .. I should read a few posts before I hit reply.. lmao.

But at least I only had nis mother being sick... youi're evil!!!

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   

winofiend

boncho
maybe his mom just died

Bloody nora B man, I .. I should read a few posts before I hit reply.. lmao.

But at least I only had nis mother being sick... youi're evil!!!

Says a hairless cat, now thats evil.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   

winofiend
reply to post by zillah

I would not have assumed that the waiter was being rude, there may have been any number of things on his mind. Maybe his mother is ill and he was expecting a call. Maybe he was just told he was getting the sack because he never makes enough tips. Maybe he was just told he has cancer. Maybe he was extremely tired after working 3 jobs. Maybe all day long he had to put up with clients who give him nothing but stiff lip.

And your tip would have made his day. Instead, he now feels more miserable about life.

Except, as I mentioned in a post after the OP, he was laughing and joking around with us when he took our drink order, and was absolutely pleasant until I ordered. And he was laughing and joking around with other tables when he wasn't standing around in the kitchen. Believe me, I understand when people have bad days, but there was nothing to indicate his day was going badly - and, as stated in my OP, his attitutde did a complete 180 when he saw us pulling out $20 bills.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by zillah

I thought this article from the New York Times to be particularly pertinent to this thread, since you are correct, most people do not know what to do or what is proper etiquette for tipping when the service is bad...

To find out what to do when service is bad, we asked Peter Post, an etiquette expert at the Emily Post Institute whom we featured in an Ask an Expert series last year.

According to Mr. Post, the time to show your disappointment with bad service is not when you’re giving a tip. Instead, you should complain before. “The time to complain about it is the time when the service is poor,” he said.

The tip, Mr. Post said, is part of what makes a waiter’s income livable and is often shared by many people.

So, for instance, if you are at a restaurant and service is slow, or the waiter or kitchen messes up your order, Mr. Post recommends talking to the offending person and the manager and expressing your dissatisfaction. Often, you’ll even get a free meal or at least a discount as consolation, much more than you would save by cutting the tip.

bucks.blogs.nytimes.com...

And they are correct, I have gotten free meals on either that visit or the next one, or discounts and other things when I note to the management about poor service or in some cases if the restaurant is especially service oriented, without the need for complaining at all if something happens such as an improperly cooked meal...

I believe it is in how you word yourself and you should always speak to the manager, in both cases of poor service and in cases of good service. Proper etiquette dictates that you not cut the tip, only express your dissatisfaction to the management and the waiter himself.

Besides, when you do that, tip 17% minimum with bad service, it REALLY makes them wonder what they would have gotten if they had given good service!

edit on 23-11-2013 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   
#1, I think you sound like a whinger. If something this serious effects you and you feel the need to 'vent' on the net then I think you may need to reevaluate some priorities in your life. #2, thank the universe I don't live in a place that makes tipping mandatory. Service in most places in Australia is fine without the tipping.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

Errm, no way would I ever do that. I can almost guarantee from what I saw as a waitress that you will have "surprises" in your food. The rude servers aren't going to think twice about messing with your food and then laughing at you. I was really lucky and always polite so even if the service wasn't top notch from me, I always explained why, a lot of tables, not enough servers, kitchen backed up, etc. and smiled and did what I could to keep people happy and never had a tip problem.

I never experienced the pooling tips as I quit doing service before this became a fad. Hell if I had still been a server when this started I would have quit because of that heh. WAY too many lazy ass servers feeding off my work? Hell no! There was a reason I usually went home with 2-3 times as much as some others and it wasn't because I got more tables. It was because I made the customers meal enjoyable even if everything wasn't perfect or they were an ass.

I also always tipped my busboys and cooks really well wherever I worked, if you don't, you don't have happy customers when they ignore your tables or do your orders last.

Lil

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Lilroanie
reply to post by OpinionatedB

Errm, no way would I ever do that. I can almost guarantee from what I saw as a waitress that you will have "surprises" in your food. The rude servers aren't going to think twice about messing with your food and then laughing at you. I was really lucky and always polite so even if the service wasn't top notch from me, I always explained why, a lot of tables, not enough servers, kitchen backed up, etc. and smiled and did what I could to keep people happy and never had a tip problem.

I never experienced the pooling tips as I quit doing service before this became a fad. Hell if I had still been a server when this started I would have quit because of that heh. WAY too many lazy ass servers feeding off my work? Hell no! There was a reason I usually went home with 2-3 times as much as some others and it wasn't because I got more tables. It was because I made the customers meal enjoyable even if everything wasn't perfect or they were an ass.

I also always tipped my busboys and cooks really well wherever I worked, if you don't, you don't have happy customers when they ignore your tables or do your orders last.

Lil

I actually really appreciate the feedback from someone who's been a waitress!

Very rarely do I have a bad experience when I'm out, which is why I wasn't quite sure how to handle this one. I love knowing that my tip will be appreciated; I LOVE getting paired with a waiter/waitress that absolutely deserves it. But even if my server isn't in the best of moods, as long as he or she makes an effort to swing by the table once or twice just to check up on things, I've absolutely no problem leaving a gracious tip!

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Lilroanie

Most people do not need drink refills before dinner ever arrives at the table and that was the portion of the evening she felt most disappointed in. Therefore, she probably already had her meal in front of her... no worries concerning the waiter "messing" with her food.

And people should speak to management... the managers hire these people in, therefore the manager should know who is doing an exceptional job and who is doing a bad job in the eyes of their customers.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
If anyone feels like they are getting bad service don't eat the food get up and leave its that simple. Your time is no longer wasted and neither is theirs. If your stuffing your face someone did their job and your skipping out on paying.

I'm not gonna wait 20 minutes after being seated to order. This is the time to leave. Not tipping because your server brought you a Dr. Pepper instead of a sprite is ridiculous.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join