It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News! Iran Developing Nuclear Missle

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 08:53 PM
link   
OK...this thread is really starting to scare the crap out of me...

I hope I'm just overeacting...someone please tell me I am...anyone?

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 08:56 PM
link   
BlackJackal,

I just saw the claims of US on Iran nuclear capabilities, this is turning serious, this thread is good and I hope that your keep it up today as more news brake out.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lecky
OK...this thread is really starting to scare the crap out of me...

I hope I'm just overeacting...someone please tell me I am...anyone?

No I don't think you are......

I am a little alarmed at this point but I am exercising much caution and playing the waiting game. Yet, I do feel that if this turns out to be true a nuclear strike may very well be in our future.

The problem is Iran is not an Iraq or an Afghanistan it has a formidable military and a loyal one that will fight to the death, unlike those found in Iraq and Afghanistan. Intelligence is limited comint out of Iran so we don't know what we would face in an invasion.

Iran's Biological WMD Program

There is very little publicly available information to determine whether Iran is pursuing a biological weapon program. Although Iran acceded to the Geneva Protocol in 1929 and ratified the Biological and Toxin Weapons Convention (BWC) in 1973, the U.S. government believes Iran began biological weapon efforts in the early to mid-1980s, and that it continues to pursue an offensive biological weapon program linked to its civilian biotechnology activities. The United States alleges that Iran may have started to develop small quantities of agent, possibly including mycotoxins, ricin, and the smallpox virus. Iran strongly denies acquiring or producing biological weapons.

Irans Chemical WMD Program

There is limited open-source information available concerning Iran's chemical weapons program. Although Iran ratified the Chemical Weapons Convention (CWC) in November 1997, the United States believes that Iran has maintained a chemical weapons program since 1984, including production of sarin, mustard, phosgene, and hydrocyanic acid. According to U.S. government estimates, Iran can produce 1,000 metric tons of agent per year and may have a stockpile of at least several thousand metric tons of weaponized and bulk agent. Iran strongly denies acquiring or producing chemical weapons.

Irans Missle Program

Iran possesses one of the largest missile inventories in the Middle East and has acquired complete missile systems and developed an infrastructure to build missiles indigenously. It has purchased North Korean Scud-Bs, Scud-Cs, and Nodong ballistic missiles. Meanwhile, Iran has also developed short-range artillery rockets and is producing the Scud-B and the Scud-C�called the Shehab-1 and Shehab-2, respectively. Iran recently flight-tested the 1,300km-range Shehab-3, which is based on the North Korean Nodong. The Shehab-3 is capable of reaching Israel. Following this most recent flight-test, the Shehab-3 was placed in service and revolutionary guard units were officially armed with the missiles. There are conflicting reports about the development of even longer-ranged missiles, such as the Shehab-4 and the Kosar intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM). U.S. intelligence agencies assess that barring acquisition of a complete system or major subsystem from North Korea, Iran is unlikely to launch an ICBM or satellite launch vehicle (SLV) before mid-decade.

Iran's Nuclear Weapons Program

Iran possesses five research reactors and two partially constructed power reactors at Bushehr. It acceded to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT) in 1970. In the mid-1970s, Iran initiated a nuclear power program, though there are reports that it also began a small nuclear weapon research program at the same time. The 1979 revolution ended all nuclear efforts until 1984, when Iran revived the nuclear power program and reportedly began covert procurement for a nuclear weapon program.

www.nationmaster.com...

Basically we are dealing with an 800 pound gorilla with nukes.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Troubling times indeed...

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   
It all makes you wonder....

Wonder of dark thoughts ...... Dark times.

We seem to be on path......

If Iraq was able to sustain itself security wise we probably would already be at war with Iran now.

This all makes me sick. We are stuck to police the world........

Iraq, Iran, North Korea, Taiwan-China, .... problems.... problems..... problems...

Gloomy-Gloom

Later,

Reason

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Hey reason don't be so worry, things are getting bad now that Russia is claiming of technology that no even US have, that is scary too.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Updated the main topic with some more information I dug up. Apparantly the information is coming from Colin Powell

Alright I just ran across some more information that was released a little over an hour ago. Colin Powell is quoted as saying Iran has modified missles to carry Nuclear warheads

Secretary of State Colin Powell said Wednesday that U.S. intelligence agencies believe Iran is working on ways to modify missiles to carry nuclear warheads.

www.kansascity.com...

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 10:00 PM
link   
That means that they cant reach the US mainland doesnt it? Im not positive, but i think the Shahab 3 is limited in its range isnt it? Thats also the farthest reaching missle they have that we know of.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Iranians arent stupid. They know Bush is salivating over the prospect of an invasion and the target is Iran. Of course they are threatening, what else can we expect? Now, if this administration had any reasoning at all, they would let sleeping dogs lie over there for now.
Who's to say tomorrow wont be the day when Bush gets up, after his daily conversation with the almighty, and decides to invade them?

This is going WAY overboard, take a chill, mr. Prez, and think for once, please.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   
The Shehab-3 has a range of 1300 Kilometers so that means it can reach Israel, not much further. However there is intelligence that says Iran has even longer range missles.

There are conflicting reports about the development of even longer-ranged missiles, such as the Shehab-4 and the Kosar intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM).

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 10:11 PM
link   
you can also view that articale on the washington post web sit i wold put it in but i dont know how

hey DG we thought like that before WWII and look what happend to Pearl Harbor

[edit on 17-11-2004 by themegaman]

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 10:32 PM
link   
there is still something to be said for planning something, figuring the possible outcome, and what is best for the us and the world.
This move could be suicidal to us all. The entire world.
THINK

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 01:18 AM
link   
when the Mullahs/terrorists took over in 79 they did n't only attack american interests. Lots of good Iranians were killed by their religous courts. Mad religous Mullahs instated as judges personlay excecuted our prime minister by shooting him in the head. A lot more were imprisoned and tortured really badly. Basically the terrorist regime got into power by terrorising everyone inside the country and outside. for some reason the world decided to close their eyes and ignore all the atrocities commited by the "Islamic Republic" well lets see what is happening now? at least Iran and crimes commited by IRI are not getting ignored any more

[edit on 18-11-2004 by zurvan]

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Anyway in case of "liberation" having to be "imposed"

It is wise to not repeat some of the mistakes made in Iraq. Protect national and strategical loactions, infrastructure iand industries n Iran to prevent looting. You know lotter could be really dangerous specially if police stations or even worth nuclear reactors got looted. Remember the enemy is the regime and not the people of Iran
so dont make them your enemy by attaking them

please

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackJackal
The Shehab-3 has a range of 1300 Kilometers so that means it can reach Israel, not much further. However there is intelligence that says Iran has even longer range missles.
The current version of the Shahab-3 is said to have a range of 2000 km. Iran has been working to improve the range, and claims that longer range versions are possible.

They are deliberately ambiguous on the Shahab-4, but many analysts believe that they are working on that also, as well as a shahab-5, which would be an ICBM. I don't think we will see that anytime soon, though. It's one thing to send something into space and another thing entirely to survive re-entry and hit a target.

Here's a link on the range of the Shahab-3:

news.bbc.co.uk...

I seriously doubt that that an invasion of Iran is being considered as a viable option. First, the US estimates that the Iranian regime will self reform in 15-20 years anyway. Any attack would solidify the position of the hard-liners in Iran, and delay any democratic reforms even further. And any attack would cause Iran to launch her missiles at Israel in retaliation.

A more likely response, imo, would be economic sanctions, a naval blockade, etc. We want to prevent Iran from becoming a nuclear threat, but a hot war with Iran is not a good option. Worst case scenario would be a US strike on Iranian nuclear facilities.

[edit on 18-11-2004 by engineer]

[edit on 18-11-2004 by engineer]

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 06:31 AM
link   
What they are probably not telling us is that Iran has had nukes for the past dacade or something to that extent.
I don't know, would they risk nuking the troops in Iraq, or would there be too much danger to them from the radiation?
Either way, I don't think it would make a difference, I think we'd be delivering our own assault back at them, and even without the nukes, we'd level the country.
They won't launch it. The best they could do would be to pass if off to one of the terrorist organizations and have them take it out of their country....
it's would be national suicide!!

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Iran has been the "target" since day one of this war. Iraq and Afganistain are "stagging" areas. Iran has Nukes but lack a delivery system as Powell said in his interview. There is a connection between Russia developing a new missle and Irans quest for "holy-fire". The world can not afford to WAIT for this to play out.

China is going to help the US take Iran down. They will be sending troops into N Korea soon to make sure N Korea stays out of the fray. They have been massing hundereds of thousands of troops on their border with N Korea. They will get "Taiwan" as a trade for their help.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
Iran has been the "target" since day one of this war. Iraq and Afganistain are "stagging" areas. Iran has Nukes but lack a delivery system as Powell said in his interview. There is a connection between Russia developing a new missle and Irans quest for "holy-fire". The world can not afford to WAIT for this to play out.

China is going to help the US take Iran down. They will be sending troops into N Korea soon to make sure N Korea stays out of the fray. They have been massing hundereds of thousands of troops on their border with N Korea. They will get "Taiwan" as a trade for their help.

I completely agree that Iran is a more pertinent and threatening target than Iraq or Afghanistan could ever hope to be, but I'm not so sure that China would figure in the equation, at least not in that way, or on 'our' side. China has recently made a $20bn deal with Iran to buy vast amounts of natural gas (news story), so with such an investment from China, would they really be willing to take military action against Iran. If anything, I would expect China to oppose any such action, possibly even forcefully. Just google the words 'china iran alliance' for a wealth of information regarding a China-Iran alliance.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 07:15 AM
link   
China will be keeping N Korea out of the US/Iran war. Bejing fears Islamofacist. Iran is the now the exposed center of Islam exportation of terrorisim. China seeks control of all of asia, Iran is a threat to that domination. But make no mistake China will not be seen in Iran.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 07:17 AM
link   
This is just all hot air in my point of view. There is too much at stake if USA attacks Iran. They can't even bomb the facilites as there is reported to be around 600 Russian people at these places across Iran, which would cause huge problems if they died. Like said above China has a $20b agreement with Iran. Iran would just bomb Isreal so the best option is oust the goverment via the Iranian people.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join