It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange redirect visiting ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Visited ATS a few moments ago and got an error message - but not from ATS. The error message was for a site "cloudflare-watch.org". Because I wasn't thinking properly, instead of making a note of the error message, I closed the tab and opened a new one, this time successfully navigating here.

There is a possibility that I mistyped the address in the address bar - it wouldn't be the first time, but it always takes me to my ISP's "address not found" page. I tried making a deliberate typo again a few moments ago and, as expected, it took me to the ISP page.

The cf-w site timed out when I tried to connect to it directly, while googling it brought up references to some kind of dodgy internet shennanigans and monitoring.

I feel certain that I had typed the correct address bar before receiving the error, which leads me to wonder... who the hell is cloudflare-watch.org and is this linked to ATS?

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by EvillerBob

CloudFlare is a venture-funded startup that routes around Internet abuse by acting as a reverse proxy. They also encourage illegality by allowing hackers, DDoSers, cyberbullies, and copyright pirates to hide behind their servers.

That's from that website.

There's no association with ATS as far as I know.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Ah, but the site that came up was "cloudflare-watch" which appears to be some kind of "anti-cloudflare" organisation, which is what I found... intriguing.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Maybe you could get the page back up by visiting the 'History' in your browser. Then take a screenshot.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Yup,

cloudflare-watch.org...

That's the actual website where I pulled that quote from.

Doesn't seem malicious as far as I can tell. Could have been an auto re-route from something in your cookies. If you use a service like HotSpot Shield or another proxy type service it could have bounced you for that reason.

~Tenth

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   

edit on 22-11-2013 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Just for the record and to verify that you're not nuts, the same thing happened to me two days ago and I forgot all about it until you brought it up now.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   

MissBeck

Maybe you could get the page back up by visiting the 'History' in your browser. Then take a screenshot.

Which would be the smart thing to do, except Firefox is set to delete my history when I close it and I've been doing something else for a while.

Ah well, I'm writing this off to one of life's unexplainables, but if anyone else comes across the issue at least it will come up in a search!

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
if you bookmark the page you dont need to type the address in.
Saves making mistakes

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   

tothetenthpower

Yup,

cloudflare-watch.org...

That's the actual website where I pulled that quote from.

Doesn't seem malicious as far as I can tell. Could have been an auto re-route from something in your cookies. If you use a service like HotSpot Shield or another proxy type service it could have bounced you for that reason.

~Tenth

That's intriguing because the linked website still times out when I try to access it.

While I do use proxies/TOR and various oddities, I run them in a virtual machine on a separate laptop.

On this machine I run Firefox in a sandbox (www.sandboxie.com, in fact) which gets deleted and reset on a regular basis. The last time was a few days ago, which limits (but does not preclude) a cookie issue of some kind, though I don't quite see how it would be cookie-related.

I understand that cloudflare is a "security" system of some kind which could be responsible for blocking access from an IP that was considered risky. My ISP has most of their subscribers sitting behind a shared IP so it is certainly possible that a few users were doing something that triggered a response. The site in the address bar, however, was not cloudflare itself but some kind of "we hate cloudflare" organisation which is why it seems... odd.

To the user who has had a similar problem, thank you for backing me up. I already know I'm mad for entirely different reasons

EDITED TO ADD:

Aha. I'm not as stupid as I thought. I just realised I copied and pasted the exact line from the address bar into notepad.

The address bar said: htt[p://cloudflare]-watch.org/cgi-bin/nbbw.cgi

Is there any kind of "code tag" because I don't want that to turn into a live link? I've added square brackets into the first part of the url to prevent it linking.

edit on 22-11-2013 by EvillerBob because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   

ATS has been having some issues; it seems as though people discussing this have been less than completely forthright.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   

All you have to do is put a space. Just do like h ttp or www. above, something like that.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: EvillerBob

The last week or so I have been redirected away from ATS multiple times. It only happens when I'm on ATS. I have an iPhone and both my chrome and safari browser will do the same thing. I copied the link the last time it happened...

tsog8.redirectvoluum.com... NO3D6%26aff_sub5%3D2326&ts=1445365034234&hash=LobBOl%2BCNpMTffZZyG7MkEwy3EN97mfKXGeZtwCUqSI%3D&rm=D

new topics

top topics

join