It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop hitting on windows XP!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   

grey580
reply to post by VoidHawk

Win XP is old.

Irrelevant, see my reply to wrabbit

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

spartacus699
xp is fine. But windows 8, isn't that the biggest sack of sheat you've ever seen in your life??? It's like Apple infiltrated MSN and perverted there good invention with BS. I can't believe they actually released that.

LOL Well said dude! Wish we still had the thumbs up emote.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Domo1

Stop hitting on windows XP!

I will not! She's a saucy little manx, and if I'm persistent she'll cave. She struts around all fancy but I can see through her charade. Deep down she's a dirty, dirty OS. Right fit bird she is.

That was my point, she caters for ones needs!

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

winofiend
They didnt stop supportibg xp because they just wanted to. It has a limited support life.
and what might that limit be? A peice of code that can be rewritten?

Xp also has its flaws.
Dont they ALL.

And every corporate place ive either studied or worked in uses 7. They would be ignroant to use an unsupported os in a corporate environment. makes me wonder about some of the people who claim to be this or that... but dont update their office systems and use unsupported operating systems..

Strange, go into any british bank, hospital etc and they're running xp! Browsers are the biggest security issue, thats why I use non ms browsers.

Xp was pants to install drivers for especially on non standard hardware in a corporate environment... luckily when we did use xp, all of our maxhines were the same hardware. Tenders guarantee that.
Kinda answered your self there

Xp was good. so waz the model t. Damn henry ford for not supporting that in 2013.
Irrelevant, see my reply to wrabbit

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   

winofiend
reply to post by spartacus699

How would you know sparty? You cant afford win8.

You may be my favorite internet personality of all time.
Seriously.

In our business we are Win7 users. I expect 8 to be like Vista....the backlash will cause them to rethink some of the basic design features. THen again, Vista (in my opinion) wasn't released with the intention of being anything more than a test for a few features (which Win7 did a fine job with).

I like Win7. No real probs there, though I think XP is the best yet of all OS's

Win8, as a business application, sucks. So does the matching Office suite. The touch screen concept of computing will destroy efficiency among power users.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Thurisaz

xp had major backdoor issues. Security was a problem... then we got sp 2 which fixed the issues. What an absolute joke to have so many problems with an operating system.

Once they fixed the issues it was ok. Vista sucks and as usual there are issues that consumer has to keep paying money for additional programs (like virus software) to do the job that the bloody stinking program should do.

I am running vista at the moment. Checked Ubuntu and that isn't too bad. I will when I upgrade my laptop go with an Apple Mac. Why? Because I don't need all the virus software etc...

The only reason the Apple and Linux crowd dont get many viruses is because nobody can be bothered to write for them. Would you sweat over creating a virus (it aint easy) and then aim it at the minority? Much better to aim it at the VAST majority! But that will end soon, ms have shot themselves in the foot and people are leaving them in droves, so who will the virus writers aim at next? will it be apple or linux? There's rich pickings in those two now, so many boxes with NO security!!!

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

VoidHawk

Thurisaz

xp had major backdoor issues. Security was a problem... then we got sp 2 which fixed the issues. What an absolute joke to have so many problems with an operating system.

Once they fixed the issues it was ok. Vista sucks and as usual there are issues that consumer has to keep paying money for additional programs (like virus software) to do the job that the bloody stinking program should do.

I am running vista at the moment. Checked Ubuntu and that isn't too bad. I will when I upgrade my laptop go with an Apple Mac. Why? Because I don't need all the virus software etc...

The only reason the Apple and Linux crowd dont get many viruses is because nobody can be bothered to write for them. Would you sweat over creating a virus (it aint easy) and then aim it at the minority? Much better to aim it at the VAST majority! But that will end soon, ms have shot themselves in the foot and people are leaving them in droves, so who will the virus writers aim at next? will it be apple or linux? There's rich pickings in those two now, so many boxes with NO security!!!

Android. That is where the money will be in the future. Everyone has a smart phone, and most are android. Everyone does financial stuff on their phones. There are more and more folks who use their cell's for CC processing. Not to mention all the tablets and laptops that are being marketed with Android.

Every moron in the world has one. Know that guy driving 25 mph in the left lane? Yep...he has a smart phone. The stupid parents who named their kid Hitler? They have one too. All those morons out there, not securing their smart phones, not understanding what a virus can do.....
edit on 22-11-2013 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Terrormaster

There's also Virtual Machines, they make excellent sandboxes. Just snapshot the open one. And when you need to do some potentially unsafe surfing - surfing that you know will take you into malware and virus land - fire up the VM. When you're done it's just reset the next time you load it.

Use them all the time
Anything that might be dodgy is thoroughly tested in vbox first. I got winxp win7 and Mint all cloned.
Just for a laugh I once vboxed dos, win3, win95, win98, winxp, and win7 and had them all running on my xp desktop at the same time

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

VoidHawk

Thurisaz

Android. That is where the money will be in the future. Everyone has a smart phone, and most are android. Everyone does financial stuff on their phones. There are more and more folks who use their cell's for CC processing. Not to mention all the tablets and laptops that are being marketed with Android.

Every moron in the world has one. Know that guy driving 25 mph in the left lane? Yep...he has a smart phone. The stupid parents who named their kid Hitler? They have one too. All those morons out there, not securing their smart phones, not understanding what a virus can do.....
edit on 22-11-2013 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

Well, I finally gave in and bought a smart phone a couple of months ago, just a cheepy, and yes its android.
First thing I discovered was no reminder for missed texts or missed calls!!! Can you believe that? Anyways, I downloaded eclipse and it took me about four days to make my own reminder app. I keep meaning to put it on googles app store. Your right, thats where the money is, but its a horrible language to learn (at least for me), its java with some google mixed in

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I have been in IT since the early 90's. I am still using XP, updates OFF, with NO AV wasting my processor cycles. And I don't get infected, neither do my 9 & 11 year old kids. Because I taught them what to avoid.
The internet is like walking through Times Square (b4 Rudy cleaned it up) with a $100 bill taped to your forehead.

And just to deflect those who may insist I am acting counter to M$ "best practices" I will now describe my computer:

Core i7 extreme, 24 GB ram, 5x ATI 4650's, HP ILO II, 1.5 TB HDD, 2GB SSD.

Running ESXi 5.0 on the bare metal, on the 2GB SSD, console out the ILO

23 Virtual machines defined of various OS ( XP, Win7, Win8, Suse, Ubuntu, OSX 10.7.4 Lion, Android, WS2008, WS2003) oops no Vista

Each ATI & 1 USB are passed through to 1 of 5 VM's. So in addition to the console, there are 5 monitors and 5 keyboards running 5 simultaneous VM's. I have had 5 kids all playing Minecraft, Terraria, COD etc simultaneously with NO lag.
All of these are protected by snapshots, actually triple layered snapshots protecting the HW config, OS, & EU data.

Since it's a pain to manage with the Vsphere client, I wrote a 500k utility (installable VIB) to manage power, snapshots, networking, and PCI passthrough directly from the ESXi text console. Or from the ILO remote console.

posted from my XP sp3 VM

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Windows XP was a solid operating system, clearly better than the versions before it. The rest of the companies are only not supporting it because of times and Microsoft in itself moving forward. No one is going to keep supporting an operating system that's 13-14 years old now. Did you see any Win95 support when XP came out? Windows ME was undoubtedly the worst OS Microsoft ever produced, so many memory leaks and bugs, it was just horrendous in every sense. Win98 had it's problems, but it was kinda solid if you could work them out. Vista was complete trash, and Win7 is actually kinda solid also, if you know what you're doing anyway. I've never had a problem with it. Haven't really ventured into Win8 yet, not sure if I want to. Just seems like something that'd be better with a touchscreen and I'm not too into all of that.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:15 AM
link   

VoidHawk

XP was the best OS microsoft ever created.

Indeed, it is the most stable and reliable incarnation of windows that I have ever worked with.

Vista was just a travesty, 7 and 8 havent really improved that to a great extent.

Okay to be honest 7 wasnt nearly as bad as Vista.
But Im having serious backwards compatibility issues with 8.
edit on 201311America/Chicago11am11amSat, 23 Nov 2013 05:19:13 -06001113 by OneManArmy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by supamang

I run all my pc's the same way. I'm a semi-retired tech, probably around the same age as you I imagine and over the years I came to the same conclusion as you must have. Automated, auto loading resource leaching programs are all off. I don't want anything running in the background or automated, I handle that myself. But more interesting is the comment about no anti virus. Like you I don't waste time or resources running AV and simply avoid getting infected by intelligent computing and surfing. Plus, even if a virus gets in, recovery of my data and repair is not a problem. Yes it can be done people. I do not recommend this to anyone else however. Most users still need it. It's not often I find anyone else who does it this way which is why your post stood out to me.

I also think xp is by far their best OS yet. They are all full of holes and are the all prime examples of careless coding. Bad security and too many large updates and fixes. But hey, it's microsoft. Plus anytime you make something that anyone is able to operate, you are going to lose quality from other areas. Making an OS that any idiot can use will lose some efficiency in order to make it simple to use, but oh well.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I love reading all the cavemen comments. Cling to the past. Microsoft is a business and they try to make products for the masses, you know regular folk that barely know how to turn a computer on. The more people that can use the product the more $$$ they can potentially make and lets face it XP is pretty simple to get for free even when they were still selling it. Technology trends are about moving forward. Of course they will stumble along the way(vista) but you cant achieve greatness by sitting on your hands.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Personally for me, Dos 5.0 up to 6.0 was the best. It never crashes, and did everything I needed. It even multi tasked an 50 multi phone line BBS back in the day for me running Renegade BBS.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

SoLaR513
I love reading all the cavemen comments. Cling to the past. Microsoft is a business and they try to make products for the masses, you know regular folk that barely know how to turn a computer on. The more people that can use the product the more $$$ they can potentially make and lets face it XP is pretty simple to get for free even when they were still selling it. Technology trends are about moving forward. Of course they will stumble along the way(vista) but you cant achieve greatness by sitting on your hands.

No, Microsoft is a business, and their goal is to make money and beat the competition.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Have fun with those viruses.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   

I really liked XP... I'm not at all partial to Windows 8 by the way..the Metro system is just horrible.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
While I'm here, I figure I could ask a couple of questions for you computer wizards who know quite about about these programs: This is about Windows 8- Frequently I have this problem where I am suddenly unable to type anything at all, neither in the search browser bar, nor in the http address bar at the top. The computer is not frozen, but I instead I am suddenly without notice redirected either to the "Ease of Access" area straight to the Narrator, or I am suddenly redirected to the Computer Screen (Where you have the information about the running devices etc.). How on earth do I fix this problem?

I do hope someone can answer! Or send me a P2P if you can..Thanks in advance.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   

XP and 7 are my most favorite OS. My wife has a new laptop with Windows 8 which I hate with a passion. I have had to reinstall the OS 3 times in the last year. Plus the fact that it has no menu option. I know that there is after-market software that will give you a type of start menu but I haven't tried any of them yet. I wont be buying another computer with a MS OS until they get their heads out and fix WX 8. Did I mention that I HATE WINDOWS 8...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join