It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery of the Dying Lagoon : Famous Puerto Rican water that usually Glows, plunges into darkness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
This if the Amazing Live Lagoon before the darkness take place..

1.Fajardo lagoon usually glows when organisms in the water are disturbed
2.For the past nine days the water in the lagoon has remained dark
3.Biologists don't know why it's stopped glowing and are investigating

A glowing lagoon off Puerto Rico's northeastern coast has gone almost completely dark and biologists have no idea why.

The Fajardo Grand Lagoon in Las Cabezas de San Juan usually glows when bioluminescent organisms that live in the water are disturbed, yet they have not been visible for at least nine days.

Nearby construction work is thought to have caused disruption to the area, but biologists also believe a recent spate of bad weather could have caused the glowing lagoon to dull.
Another theory is the chopping down of mangrove trees in the area, to let larger boats into the lagoon and its surrounding water, could also have played a part.
'We have been compiling data,' Carmen Guerrero, secretary of the Department of Natural Resources said. 'There are a lot of factors that could be at play.'
The bioluminescent lagoon is often referred to as a bay and is a popular tourist attraction.
As a preventive measure, the government has temporarily suspended construction at the project for two weeks until scientists can figure out what is causing the problem.
Alberto Lazaro, president of the state Water and Sewer Authority, said he will evaluate scientists' findings before deciding how to proceed in several weeks.
Recent rains and a storm that are generating heavy waves is another possibility for affecting the lagoon's bioluminescence, continued Guerrero.
The Conservation Trust of Puerto Rico, which manages the lagoon and surrounding areas, collects water samples three times a week to record data including temperature, salinity and precipitation.
Scientists will analyse this data to help solve the mystery of the darkening lagoon.
It is not the first time the lagoon has gone dark. It went nearly dark for a couple of months in 2003 but the glow was restored before scientists could establish the exact cause.

This news make me feel so sad..maybe we lose one of great mother nature wonder once again..
www.dailymail.co.uk... rkness.html
edit on 20-11-2013 by cheesy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I was just showing this to my Fiance as a place to possibly visit. I think they have recently stopped allowing people to get into the water because they wear bug repellants (poison) which kills the organisms. This is also known as Mosquito Bay.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   
S&F Cheesy. It is sad that we lose things like this whether due to the passage of time or to man made causes. It is hard to believe that some of the things we see or experience may not be available for our children and grandchildren to see and experience. I am constantly amazed at the beauty that surrounds us.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
This so reminds me of the movie Cocoon...

Cocoon (1985) - Trailer
www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9BSsIX2j7M
www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   

OccamsRazor04
I was just showing this to my Fiance as a place to possibly visit. I think they have recently stopped allowing people to get into the water because they wear bug repellants (poison) which kills the organisms. This is also known as Mosquito Bay.

so do you mean it cause by human activity sir?
anyway Have a nice vacation with your fiance sir!
edit on 21-11-2013 by cheesy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Tq my friend, thats right that what make me sad, how about our children and grand son feel if there is a very little wonder of nature to see..i cant imagine that..

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   

AbleEndangered
This so reminds me of the movie Cocoon...

Cocoon (1985) - Trailer
www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9BSsIX2j7M
www.youtube.com...

reaminds me? so i will call you sir..because i must be far younger than you Mr.AbleEndangered

have full clip? in the trailer there is one sweet (Very sweet to me:devil
bath on glowing water?

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

S&F Cheesy. This is truly a loss in our dying world and thank you for bringing it to our attention in what is always your very polite, cheery and respectful way.

I would have loved to have seen these heatless lights generated chemically by marine plants and animals in that particular location. It is truly a sad loss.

Over where I live there is a time of year that this phenomenon occurs and it is truly spectacular. These tiny little creatures that give off light amaze me. It is a splendor that reminds me that this is not where we all come from.

edit on 21-11-2013 by Egyptia because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

Thank you, Cheesy, for another amazing thread -

I'm wondering - it's also called Mosquito Bay? - are there a lot of mosquitoes there?

Didn't the idiots in charge release a lot of mutated mosquitoes to sterilize the living mosquitoes in the Carribbean?

I don't know for sure - am asking.

Is this fresh water? or salt water?

If the idiots in charge are releasing mutated bugs into the environment, and by any reasonable person's judgement - change the rest of the biological matter there?

Why are there so many FEMA coffins in Peurto Rico?

Are there a lot of methane leaks in the ocean there right not? A lot of earthquakes?

I'm just putting questions out there for others more knowledgable about these things than I am.

And last, why are they trying to mess with mother nature this way?
For who's, and what, benefit?

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Happy1
reply to post by cheesy

I'm wondering - it's also called Mosquito Bay? - are there a lot of mosquitoes there?

Yes it is. The rest of your post is sheer ignorance though.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

I agree - my whole post is ignorance - I'm asking questions.

I've never heard of this place.

Any info on the questions I ask would be appreciated.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Happy1
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

I agree - my whole post is ignorance - I'm asking questions.

I've never heard of this place.

Any info on the questions I ask would be appreciated.

Perhaps I was a bit harsh, I apologize. Your doom comments about the sterile mosquitos is what I refered to. Mosquito Bay has gone dark before. They have no idea why. Sterile mosquitos is not the answer. I imagine within a few months the lights will be back on. If not .. then maybe it's time to worry. Until then I hope they can research this and find the cause, and they seem to be taken appropriate precautions.

ETA: There is another bay in the area as well, but it's not as breathtaking. There are other beaches in the world too that are similar, with the most famous being in the Maldives I believe.
edit on 21-11-2013 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join