It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ufology today is an absolute DISGRACE

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Okay here is the deal, i used to be a big beleiver in the ufo phenomena, i used to watch all the project camelot stuff, and then the alex collier / george green / steven greer stuff, i would follow the crop circle phenomena and all the other things closely.

Heck, i even thought i was abducted when i used to constantly get marks on my legs and arms (turns out they were rashes from food allergies).

Now, the last few years nothing has happened ufo wise, all we get are the odd report of something over an airport, or a really crappy video of an `orb over a water` , i am so bored of the ufo `phenomena` absolutly nothing has happened.

I used to even be one of those conspiracy theorists who thought `oh the president obama probably knows everything and has been briefed on ufos, et intelligence` or that the royal family are all 20 foot tall lizards behind the scenes. But the more i sit down and think about things, the more i realise `erm no, they are just regular people like me and you`

All the things bob dean alex collier project camelot have said not one thing have come true, and the more i reflect on the last 5 years or so where i was obsessed with the ufo phenomena, the more i realise how ridiculous and gullible i was back then.

Now.. that is not to say i do not believe ufos/ ets have visited earth before,
but with regards to the current ufo phenomena, and all these light workers and contactees and `youtube wonderful ufo videos`.. well lets just say the current state of ufology is a disgrace

To really hit the nail on the head, here is a video from 112 years ago, and guess what
it is in higher quality than any of these so called `ufo/orb` videos TODAY.

edit on 20-11-2013 by mlifeoutthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
You will find most serious science people into studying the phenomena or the possibility of life elsewhere distance themselves pretty quickly fromt the UFO crowd for the reasons you outlined above.

If you still have a passion for the unknown I recommend you getting interested in the following areas, lunar transient phenomena aka transient lunar phenomena, astrobiology, advanced propulsion research and aerial phenomenology.

You'll find these places don't tend to use terms like "alien grays", "flying saucers", "UFOs" or other pop-culture, loaded terms that woo woo crowd has made their own but still offer rigorous SCIENCE, peer reviewed papers, investigation and debate.

UFOlogy at this point is almost as much of a joke term as astrology.

The few credible people left it it are left swimming in a pool of feces.

Stuff like Project Hessdalen goes under the radar but the latest Youtube hoax or misinterpretation of a Mars photo due to pareidolia garners tons of wasted time.

If you want, I can point you to citizen SCIENCE projects you can participate in to do among other things, search through Kepler lightcurves to find extrasolar planets (PlanetHunters.org), help analyze in realtime radio picked up by SETI (SETILive.org) or look for potential alien artifacts on the moon (ASU LRO analysis)
edit on 20-11-2013 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

I even found an interesting podcast that bridges the two subjects quite often called "Podcast UFO":

podcastufo.com...

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by mlifeoutthere

Agreed.
the problem with UFOlogy and every other conspiratorial field today is
that there are WAY more conspiracy NUTS than there are actual THEORISTS.

A bad apple ruins the whole basket, or in this case the rest ruins the couple of good ones.

UNIDENTIFIED. FLYING. OBJECT.

three keywords, take them as such, before screaming "ALIENS!!!"

edit on 20-11-2013 by LionOfGOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Well actually around 2010 there was lots happening.

The chinese airports being shut down because of a ufo, you had the norway spirals, there were things happening at least.

Nowadays there is nothing, zero, zilch happening

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

mlifeoutthere
Well actually around 2010 there was lots happening.

The chinese airports being shut down because of a ufo,

Which turned out to be a cruise missle test or something remember?

you had the norway spirals,

Russian rocket launches as it turned out.

there were things happening at least.

Which had pretty mundane sources.

Nowadays there is nothing, zero, zilch happening

It does seem like there are no more "waves" or "flaps" of anything tangible.

It seems strange that from the 40s-70s there were these massive waves.

Yet today when everyone has HD cameras on their phones, nothing.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

LionOfGOD

Agreed.
the problem with UFOlogy and every other conspiratorial field today is
that there are WAY more conspiracy NUTS than there are actual THEORISTS.

The question is where do you draw the line? What is the rigorous method by which one is not prone to being the former.

If you throw scientific method and good investigation under the bus or become too invested in your pet theory then you end up crossing the line into the conspiracy nut camp.

In fields with little to no self-policiing or peer review process they are especially prone to this. That's why they get labelled psuedo science and are dismissed. Not because the big bad establishment is out to get them and suppress their research but because said research just doesn't past the rigor of providing substantial evidence for what is being asserted.

A bad apple ruins the whole basket, or in this case the rest ruins the couple of good ones.

The way to deal with that is to not let the bad apples have a podium in the first place. But UFOlogy has always had a problem with it being too open to nut cases and people with good stories but no real evidence in support of them.

UNIDENTIFIED. FLYING. OBJECT.

three keywords, take them as such, before screaming "ALIENS!!!"

Good luck with that now in this world of "Ancient Aliens", "Unsealed UFO and Conspiracy Files" and other such pop culture pablum.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

JadeStar

It seems strange that from the 40s-70s there were these massive waves.

Yet today when everyone has HD cameras on their phones, nothing.

For the same reason that if you ask billy meier why instead of ALL his `evidence` ie the hundreds of photos and documentaries and his `sound recordings etc`.. why not just provide one clear cut video or photo of the alien if their messages are `so important`

there will be no direct answer to that simple question, for the simply reason being that there isnt.. its a hoax

i strongly suspect that with the whole sci fi movie craze that went on then, it wasnt so much a trolling thing it was more of an artistic thing, to create images or models with the limited resources back then, to see whos could be most realistic

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

mlifeoutthere

i strongly suspect that with the whole sci fi movie craze that went on then, it wasnt so much a trolling thing it was more of an artistic thing, to create images or models with the limited resources back then, to see whos could be most realistic

The problem I have with this is that it could not all be just sci-fi and overactive imaginations, could it?

There were good cases back then with a substantial amount of evidence reported even by military people. Radar-visual cases, landing trace cases, mass sightings, etc.

In other words stuff that could be analyzed beyond the event itself. Today we see little if any of that.

If there is a "UFO Hotspot" such as the "Skinwalker Ranch" or "ECETI Ranch" or "Marley Woods" or "Site 516" then people who are very interested in this phenomena should follow the Project Hessdalen example and try to systematically document what goes on there by helping to set up a monitoring station 24/7.

Instead they' rather waste thousands of dollars on UFO and Paranormal conventions which amount to nothing more than storytelling sessions.

SMH

To the people who really want to move this subject forward, since it has regressed so much....

Read Charles Fort rather than the latest book about aliens from the Pleiades.

Read James McDonald rather than watch the latest fake Youtube videos of people flying lighted RC models as "UFOs".

Read J. Allen Hynek rather than rushing to judgement on a blurry group of balloons your out of focus phone camera caught.

Read Carl Sagan rather than gorging on Ancient Aliens.

Then you'll be better prepared to face the phenomena, whatever the true phenomena is, regardless of origin, head on with some semblance of reason and logic.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Ufology is definitely it's own worst enemy. There are just too many egos, pet theories, and opportunistic shysters (that means you Greer!!) for any serious research to take place. The heyday for ufology was definitely in the 60's and 70's.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I guess we are on the wrong side of things. True some or many predictions dont come true, but there is a wide assortment of information out there for everyone. I have found plenty of stuff. People can believe whatever they want. Dont you love freedom?

I disagree about ufology being a disgrace. All the good stuff is hard to find though. Gotta dig and dig and dig. Gotta keep an open mind too. Dont expect many to believe you though.

Throwing in the towel because of ridicule is easy!

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

EarthCitizen07
I guess we are on the wrong side of things. True some or many predictions dont come true, but there is a wide assortment of information out there for everyone.

In science this is called noise rather than data.

I have found plenty of stuff. People can believe whatever they want.

Is this a science or a religion?

Reality should not require belief nor the suspension of disbelief.

If the evidence doesn't meet the claim put forth than it is every persons right and should be their first reaction to demand BETTER EVIDENCE.

I disagree about ufology being a disgrace. All the good stuff is hard to find though. Gotta dig and dig and dig. Gotta keep an open mind too. Dont expect many to believe you though.

Throwing in the towel because of ridicule is easy!

It appears you've missed the point.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   

JadeStar

In science this is called noise rather than data.

The government is providing most of the noise.

Is this a science or a religion?

its a new age religion.

Reality should not require belief nor the suspension of disbelief.

everything starts with a hypothesis and either gets validated with evidence aka proof or remains an unprovable theory. just because something cannot be proven today for whatever reason, does not require disbelief. its wise to be skpetical at least.

If the evidence doesn't meet the claim put forth than it is every persons right and should be their first reaction to demand BETTER EVIDENCE.

I found most of the evidence I was looking for. Just had to shell out some cash to buy them books. But there is also good evidence on the internet. it depends on what kind of evidence one looks for.

It appears you've missed the point.

you honestly had a point? what was that point?

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I've always been interested in the phenomenon because I thought it really would only take one undisputed UFO case to confirm we are not alone. I have never bought into thousands of close encounter stories being real. Don't get me wrong many of these are very entertaining and some may have more than a grain of truth to them.

There are so many stories from the past of aliens meeting with seemingly random people all over the planet, from peasants to presidents. But we must ask why did they suddenly dry up around about 20 years ago? The abduction phenomenon is another troublesome part of Ufology. Despite the availability of cheap webcams and CCTV technology there is hardly any footage out there of these people being snatched from their bedrooms. Which suggest that it's more of a mental rather than physical issue. The "alien" medical technology and procedures also seem somewhat antiquated by our current standards.

I think modern technology probably has had a massive impact here. Not only do we know a lot more about physics and our own galaxy, the internet has allowed a much wider and greater audience to share information rapidly.

So what would we expect if a spaceship crashed near Roswell tomorrow? Pictures up on social media, TV crews and choppers all hovering over the debris field within hours. Lonnie Zamora would have had an onboard camera in his police cruiser recording "something" sitting in the desert and then flying off had Socorro happened yesterday. The logging crew with Travis Walton would have surely had taken at least some snaps of the UFO and possibly him being taken aboard on their phones. As for the troops at Bentwaters, wouldn't they have helmet cameras recording everything as they investigated the UFO out in Rendlesham forest? So are the aliens not turning up because we can blow their cover these days?

I suppose it's possible (even probable) that a lot of military activity is heavily censored and suppressed but can a massive global cover up have been going on so long?

I think we can probably say that the end of the Cold War was another significant factor. There was little need to create "UFO" stories to conceal secret military activities once the Iron Curtain came down.

It's much harder to spin a yarn these days when almost everyone has the means to record anything going on for more than a few minutes. "Pictures or it didn't happen" is a phrase we all know. Fakes are also so easy to make that some people seem to make careers out of it on the internet and this may well be burying an interesting story somewhere.

It's probable that we are actually dealing with a number of different things that have all become bundled under the umbrella of Ufology and any real alien visitation is incredibly rare?

But like I said to begin with. We only need one case that cannot be debunked and everything changes forever.
edit on 20/11/13 by mirageman because: typo

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Totally agree its been a couple of years with nothing of interest. In fact i almost stopped watching the YT UFO videos. They always disappoint me one way or the other.

Imho, all of the observed UFO phenomenons have been explained away with either lens flares, birds, meteorites, or my favorite; advanced military. The reason for the quiet 2 years imho, is that technology have improved, and the military has gotten better of concealing their drones, missiles, whatever war crap they build these days.

One reason why the UFO-community still exists, is that its a great cover for all the mishaps with new technology.

Don't get me wrong, i am a firm believer in life elsewhere in the universe(s?), but the odds of "them" just being around the neighborhood, is staggering low.

Take a look at the following picture. The yellow dot represents how far radio waves have traveled in the past century.

source

Not very far 'eh? So if someone out there have heard us now, it will take at least a 100 years for a response.
I know the picture is not really getting ones hopes up, but one gotta stick to facts.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Yeah the UFO world is in a bit of a doldrums at the moment. Historically, it's done this kind of thing in the past and then something usually comes along (a string of odd sightings, maybe) and kind of energizes the field. Unfortunately, that energizing event has way too often been discovered to be a hoax after the fact. I could be that we're lingering here in Dullsville because we've gotten so good at busting hoaxes at the very beginning that they don't have a chance to develop into something bigger. We're not so thrilled by some grainy photo or video. We don't focus a lot on individual anecdotes, because we've learned that they're a dead-end.

I suppose that's a good thing, even though it means less excitement overall. And on the positive side, it's really going to take a significant, difficult-to-ignore event to catch our attention and energize the field again.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   

JadeStar

To the people who really want to move this subject forward, since it has regressed so much....

Isnt it ironic though that to move forward you have to go back decades or 3 quaters of a century (roswell ), and most of this stuff is all second hand..

not doubting any of it, and these are very good compelling cases but my point is that today with HD cameras and 1 in every 3 people having a phone (not a statistic but a fair example of the modern day world), surely there should be SOMETHING by now

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

JadeStar
The problem I have with this is that it could not all be just sci-fi and overactive imaginations, could it?

No, there's something. Something odd going on. But as I've said before, I'm afraid it may be something that is an inherent condition or configuration of reality that we're just never going to be smart enough or perceptive enough to really understand.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Blue Shift
Yeah the UFO world is in a bit of a doldrums at the moment. Historically, it's done this kind of thing in the past and then something usually comes along (a string of odd sightings, maybe) and kind of energizes the field. .

Actually i cant remember ever a period of 3 or 4 years with nothing of note happening
(besides the 2012 craze which wasnt an event, it was something built up for a long time), nothing has happened.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
The phenomenon is not for the weak minds, also it is not for those who seek belief into it, only to be disappointed if it turns out 'no aliens'. You don't believe it, you don't watch it, it either happens to you or not.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   

mlifeoutthere

JadeStar

Isnt it ironic though that to move forward you have to go back decades or 3 quaters of a century (roswell ), and most of this stuff is all second hand..

not doubting any of it, and these are very good compelling cases but my point is that today with HD cameras and 1 in every 3 people having a phone (not a statistic but a fair example of the modern day world), surely there should be SOMETHING by now

The problem is that most of the time UFOs cloak and cannot be seen by the naked eye. I have seen a ufo after I got my film developed from a party I had attended years ago. Unfortunately I lost the pic when I relocated to a new house.

Its not the operators fault at all. If the pics are foggy this is normal. If the pics are really sharp and you can see them with the naked eye its either a real hoax or it becomes a hoax after the pic is posted online for analysis.

Either way, the government and aliens always win.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join