It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Father Arrested For Trying to Pick Kids Up From School

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Wow! As a School Resource Officer I was expecting to read the article only to find out that the parent was on a no contact list (like if there was an injunction against him from the mother) and INFOWARS was blowing it out of proportion.

Then I read through the entire thing and NOPE! Nothing. No restraining order. Simply a father wanting to pick up his kids. School policy does not override parental rights.

The school had no right. The officer had no right to arrest him. That is a straight abuse of the "disorderly conduct" charge. That man was not a threat to himself or anyone else.

This incident needs to be shared. There needs to be consequences for the officer and school.

I am so disgusted right now.
edit on 20-11-2013 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-11-2013 by TorqueyThePig because: added text

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I agree with what some here say about Home Schooling, but just a thought on that...

if parents look to Home School for the right reasons and accept that it's MORE work than any 9-5 job they'd ever hold, I wish them all the luck and power they can muster for one of the most noble things a parent can do in this day and age. Few things are more valuable than a direct and personal education.

If parents look to do it as a 'screw ya' to the system or to 'save' their kids from politics or morality issues which are of a personal passion to the parents? I fear they represent one of the biggest PROBLEMS and not solutions with kids today.

-Basically.... Home School to remove ignorance and it's a Godsend. A true gift.

-Home School to perpetuate ignorance by shielding kids from the endless diversity of thought within the real world, and it's the worst form of child abuse.

So, if going to home schooling ..ask yourself.. Is it for the benefit of the Children or yours, as a parent? The answer to that defines blessing vs. irrevocable mistake and curse, IMHO.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
People who promote home schooling, don't know fully what it entails. We homeschooled our learning assisted child, or rather my father who was a teacher for 16 years, did most of it. If it was several courses at a time, take as long as you need, because he's modified due to apraxia, so it didn't matter in my mind at all how long he takes to get his graduation, that would be good. What mattered is he actually learns to read and write and do basic math. The reading and writing, at appropriate levels will allow him to study anything he wants in his life. Because the apraxia, nervous disorder blocks his learning, but he has high abstract thinking, so he's intelligent. And they weren't doing that. But....my father caught him up on that, though back to school and he's retrograded again, when we moved.

However the intense, many subjects, have to get varied physical activities. You couldn't work. And if you health problems there is no moonlighting at night, your energy is gone in the afternoon. And then you have heart attacks. I have health problems but am not able to do that kind of intense thing with the child. If they excused the varied physical and just let you do tai chi dvd's at home, because in my small town I wouldn't drive 1 hour round trip every day to take him to facilities. Anyway, its not what you think. The home schooling program here in Canada is controlled.

What I would do is take 1 course at a time and finish it, so if it took him longer, so be it, as he could read and write.

But, they've complicated that whole system too so that its not possible to get kids through it easily.
edit on 20-11-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I'm a bit surprised at the number of people bashing the school here. Schools have policies in place for a reason. They are dealing with our children's lives. You can't just nonchalantly decide you want to make your own rules and say screw the school. If you don't like the school's policies, send your kid to a different school. The school doesn't "own" our children, but we have entrusted the school to take care of them for 7 hours/day and ensure their protection. If the school starts ignoring its own policy, what happens when a child gets abducted/kidnapped? The school will get sued out the wazzu and a kid may end up dead.

I have no sympathy for the guy, as it looks like this guy was a jackass to begin with. Note the article states:

The school secretary attempts to get Howe to fill in a form to authorize the children to leave the school on their own, which Howe refuses to sign

All he had to do was sign a freakin form in order to get permission to walk his children out. There is nothing over-the-top with this requirement.

The article also states:

Aytes refuses to allow Howe to pick up his kids and then states, “The County jail is where you’re going,” to which Howe responds, “That’s fine I’ve been there before, adding, “You just opened yourself up for a lawsuit.

So the guy is threatening the school with a lawsuit for following its own policy. Sounds like the kind of guy who would also sue them if they broke their policy.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   

TorqueyThePig
Wow! As a School Resource Officer I was expecting to read the article only to find out that the parent was on a no contact list (like if there was an injunction against him from the mother) and INFOWARS was blowing it out of proportion.

Then I read through the entire thing and NOPE! Nothing. No restraining order. Simply a father wanting to pick up his kids. School policy does not override parental rights.

The school had no right. The officer had no right to arrest him. That is a straight abuse of the "disorderly conduct" charge. That man was not a threat to himself or anyone else.

This incident needs to be shared. There needs to be consequences for the officer and school.

Good to hear from someone that does this for a living. I agree - he wasn't being disorderly - he was trying to reason. So if you don't agree - according to this officer it's disorderly conduct?

If this sort of thing was the norm I would homeschool. Outside of this scenario I think being in the real world with the ups and downs is an education in and of itself. I compensate with education at home but feel the real life/world experiences are necessary if one is to fully engage/function in this society - with the 'street smarts' going to school provides.
edit on 20-11-2013 by Dianec because: Made it readable

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by jburg6

The problem with that form is that it would allow the kids to leave on their own at the allotted time for walkers which was like 2:30.

The father wanted to leave with his kids by walking out with them at the car dismissal time which was 2:00 I believe.

I don't believe the form would of solved the issue of the father wanting to pick his kids up at 2:00 by walking out with them.

Of course the school doesn't want kids to be abducted or harmed. I am sure if a stranger came in that was not on the contact list the school would not allow them to take the child. If the stranger attempted anything the SRO would step in and handle the situation.

In this situation it was the father that is on the allowed pick up list trying to get his kids.

At the high school I work at parents are free to pick up their kids at anytime. It doesn't matter if they walk to the school, ride a bicycle or pick them up by vehicle. They are their children. The only requirement is that they do it through the attendance office so we can verify that they are allowed to pick them up.

Even if a parent didn't follow the attendance office check out procedure I would never think about arresting them. It would be unconstitutional.

edit on 20-11-2013 by TorqueyThePig because: grammer

edit on 20-11-2013 by TorqueyThePig because: ^ grammar lmao

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
While I will agree that arresting the father was totally unnecessary (the "Barney Fife" cop just lost his temper), I will say that as a parent, there is a proper protocol for things like this. First, you arrange a meeting with the Principal to discuss your grievances. If that doesn't work, you arrange a meeting with the Superintendent. If that gets you nowhere, you go to the school board meetings - they are open to the public. If after all that, you still aren't getting what you want, you remove your children from the school and put them somewhere else. That may mean homeschooling, or private school or charter school, or even moving to another neighborhood to get into another public school. Rather than standing there arguing with Deputy Dawg, I think the man should have just gone along with the school rules quietly, then follow the proper protocol.

It appears from the video that the school rules were that "walkers" are released after the school buses are loaded. That is a strange rule to me, because in most schools, the walkers are released first, before buses and cars start moving for pick up, in order to give them a chance to get out of the mayhem of moving cars and buses once pick-up starts. I understand that the parent will be there to walk his kids home safely, but if other parents do the same, then it could get very complicated (kids who get released before anyone else, kids who get released as car/bus riders, kids who get released after buses are loaded, etc.), so I sort of understand the school wanting to stick to the simple rule of walkers verses riders.

The whole thing about the traffic jam taking over an hour to pick up the kids is crazy. We had a similar problem at my daughter's charter school, but the school administration worked very hard to solve the problem - now we can get in and out in about 10 minutes. The point is, all schools will have issues - and either they will work hard to resolve them, or they won't. If they show no interest in resolving them, it's time to move the kids to another school.

edit on 20-11-2013 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Telos

it looks to me that deputy dawg there was just a little upset with Howe. and from listening to the conversation, it sounds as if there was some bad blood. did you hear "go a head and get your law suit, your not intimidating me Jim." i wonder if ol tubby and jim went to high school together or if something else had transpired between them.

then when Howe started to shut him down, aytes placed him under arrest. you notice it wasn't for kidnapping or abduction, it was disorderly conduct. i haven't tried to find out if they have charged him with anything else.
i bet they didn't and will or have dropped the charges.

now not to change the subject to much, did anybody catch this.

it sure looks like a .40 to me, it also looks like his taser is on his left in front of his radio.
i guess it's good to know that at least in tennessee they know that a school with a cop who carries a gun is a gun,is a safer place than where they have them that don't. i know some states don't.

i guess my search skills are lacking today, all i can find is letting teachers and other employes carry.

but i did find this, and it makes me wonder about old deputy dawg there.

Under the law, school systems may hire retired law enforcement officers who meet certain requirements, such as completing a 40-hour school security course. The description could apply to teachers in a school's criminal justice program, a police officer turned teacher or a volunteer with police experience.
TN Schools Ignoring Law Allowing Some Teachers to Carry Guns

edit on 20-11-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   

spartacus699
homeschooling is the best way to go. That way you're kids don't get brainwashed.

Unless the parents are Religious and/or try to force any of their own views onto the child.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   

boymonkey74

spartacus699
homeschooling is the best way to go. That way you're kids don't get brainwashed.

Unless the parents are Religious and/or try to force any of their own views onto the child.

That is the perogative of the parents.

Not the "community."
Not the school.
Not the state.
Not the government.

The parents.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by LewsTherinThelamon

So its fine to brainwash your own kids? I call that abuse.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

boymonkey74
reply to post by LewsTherinThelamon

So its fine to brainwash your own kids? I call that abuse.

People have the right to believe what they want.

"They believe something that I don't believe so it's brainwashing."

I call you authoritarian...far more abusive.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Telos

jimmyx
reply to post by Telos

Melissa-Perry is talking about a completely different topic in your video...she is talking about funding for schools, and the way it has be neglected...she is not talking about owning your kid

I think you've missed the point. She's talking about something else but I'm referring to how she is considering our kids to be. Quoting from the same post:

There is also a short video that clearly states: Your kids belong to us!!!

edit on 20-11-2013 by Telos because: (no reason given)

And why does she say that? Well, because they are legally responsible for those children. This is nothing new. I wasn't a fan of it when my kid was little, but there are specific procedures for how the kids are picked up after school. Those are in place because the school district gets sued in the event something goes wrong.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   

TorqueyThePig
There needs to be consequences for the officer and school.

And there will be.

This is a blatant abuse of the law, and an individuals rights.

I can see a civil lawsuit against the department and even the officer personally.

Yes everyone heard that officers can be sued personally now too, if the unions or department do not back them up then they can lose everything.

This has to be the stupidest display of an unruly Ego I have ever seen.

In the end the tax payer pay for this type of stupidity. The school could have allowed this man to take his children home. Not really a big deal folks, so now it costs the tax payers 100k+ and this guy retires.

smh
edit on 20-11-2013 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I wonder if the government or tptb realize that when people have had enough, the will let those that oppose them know (in a big way).

Don't provoke the antagonist (in this case, the people are the antagonists in the eyes of the gov).

Mess with peoples families and # will hit the fan, count on that.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
This is both completely mind-blowing, and absolutely disgusting.

I hope those parents sue the pants off everyone involved. And not only should that cop be fired, but so should everyone at that school with a position of responsibility higher than grading papers or sweeping the floor.

Not only was the school's stubborn, idiotic rigidity in clinging to the rules in clear violation of their parental rights (and perhaps even the rights of the children) but this video is also a great example of exactly what is wrong with SO MANY cops out there today, and so many encounters with police. And I can sum it up in one word. You ready?

EGO.

That man was not being "disorderly" in any fashion. He was not yelling, he was not using foul language. He was going through proper channels. But merely because he contested a school, and continued to insist that he was right, that cop got angry. And when bad cops get angry, their ego comes out in full force.

I can't even count the number of times I've seen a vid of someone being arrested on a BS charge like "disorderly" or "resisting" simply for asking the cop questions, or saying something the cop didn't like, or refusing to comply with unlawful orders, etc etc.

My "favorite" is when they call it "resisting" when the person was not being arrested in the first place. How, exactly, is one arrested for resisting an arrest for which there was no grounds, prior to offering "resistance?" lol... one could almost get dizzy just thinking about the moronic circular logic of that.

I hope this family gets rich off this. And I hope this clown, and all the bad egomaniac cops like him get exactly what they deserve.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Realtruth

In the end the tax payer pay for this type of stupidity. The school could have allowed this man to take his children home. Not really a big deal folks, so now it costs the tax payers 100k+ and this guy retires.

Well, they weren't telling him that he wasn't allowed to take his children home - they were telling him he had to wait until the children were released - THEN he could take them home. The father got mad because he didn't want to wait. In my opinion, it wouldn't have been a big deal for him to have allowed them to follow their procedure.

Now, the cop was wrong to arrest the father - that much is true. But I think if the father hadn't called the sheriff's office (and put it on speaker - that WAS a bit jerky), and just quietly waited to get his kids when they were due to be released, deputy dawg wouldn't have lost his cool, and none of this would have happened. The father could have then arranged a meeting with the principal, and after a calm discussion, the procedure would probably have been changed to accommodate the parents who wanted to walk their kids home. Then the father would have won, and the cop would have lost, and there would have been no arrests and no lawsuits.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   

kaylaluv

Now, the cop was wrong to arrest the father - that much is true. But I think if the father hadn't called the sheriff's office (and put it on speaker - that WAS a bit jerky), and just quietly waited to get his kids when they were due to be released, deputy dawg wouldn't have lost his cool, and none of this would have happened. The father could have then arranged a meeting with the principal, and after a calm discussion, the procedure would probably have been changed to accommodate the parents who wanted to walk their kids home. Then the father would have won, and the cop would have lost, and there would have been no arrests and no lawsuits.

In an ideal world this might have worked, but guess what? We don't live in that kind of world these days.

Some parents and kids are difficult to deal with, and it's a good protocol to have cool heads working within the school system these days.

The custodial parent can ask for there child to be released from school at "any time" and the school needs to have the child to the parent within a "reasonable time" for pick up. Proper forms need to be signed for early release, or the school can have the parent sign a release sheet, which most schools have right there at the front desk. Many students are released early, or for other reasons throughout the day for various reasons.

It may vary slightly from state to state, but not much usually.

Also an unwritten bit of wisdom is, unless a parent is abusive, or shows hostility, then they have the law on their side.

The parent may not have handled the situation by school procedure, but by the law he had every right to pick his kids up.

When this goes in front of a judge, circuit court, or even if it gets to a higher court the school and the officer will lose.

How to I know this?

6+ years of law enforcement.

The single fact that this officer was playing to the camera, yet violated this mans rights is absolutely unreal.

edit on 20-11-2013 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

Yes, you can take your child out of school early for various reasons, like doctor appts., out of town trips, etc., but when you sign your child out, you usually have to give the reason (at least you did in every school my daughter attended). This guy didn't have any reason other than he wanted to avoid the traffic jam. Gee, I suppose every parent should have then been allowed to park their car in the pick-up line, walk into the school, then demand that their child be released right now, so they could drive away. Can you imagine the chaos in the lobby at that point?

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Telos

Hick cop with a Napoleon complex.

Can't wait until that redcoat gets the treatment.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join