It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Left Handed People

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I've heard a lot of rumors about how supposedly lots of geniuses and cerial killers are left handed. Does anybody know if these types of rumors about left handed people are true? It just so happens I write with my left. hand but do most other things either ambidextrous or right handed. My friends say I'm more likely a serial killer, I just wonder if the legends are true.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Okay answer this......Have you killed More than three people? and/or do you totally understand everything they write about in "scientific american"? And how many Corn flakes or apple jacks have you totally cut upand buried in your back yard?

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I've heard that we think with the right side of our brain.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   
This seems a very sinister topic.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I know some kid at my school, he claims that nearly all serial killers were left handed, yet he refuses to acknowledge some become geniuses, maybe this the list on this site can help end some bias against lefties.
www.indiana.edu...

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   
i'm left handed and am in the mentally gifted classes at high school. I can solve complex marth equations in my head alone, am artistically inclined, and am very good at learning languages.

so i think that applies to me at least, don't actually know any other lefties.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
but apparently you cant spell "math". *laughs and snorts immaturely while pointing*

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Leonardi da Vinci was left handed...

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I'm left-handed...I was in a gifted program from the 2nd grade up until now where I am a junior in college and a part of my college's Honors Program. I'm pretty much the most intelligent person in my family, but that's like saying I'm the tallest munchkin in the Wizard of Oz, it doesn't hold much water. The reason that I am so smart though isn't because I know a lot of things, it's because I ask a lot of question, which is probably the reason that I enjoy the ATS/BTS boards so much. If there is one thing that I absolutely hate, it is not knowing something that I think I should know. My intelligence scale isn't really anything extraordinary, but it's not anything that's horrible either. I think my IQ is around 153 or something, and I scored a 29 on the ACT before I stopped taking it, because that was good enough to get me into college. My personal belief is that stanardized tests are a load of crapola, because I am obviously not that intelligent. Also, I believe that grades are simply letters and numbers while we are in school, and nothing more. A degree is a piece of paper, which you can laminate if you so desire, meaning that you took enough courses in a particular area so you can get a picture frame to put a piece of paper in saying "Good Job".

Real intelligence comes from within, if I've learned one thing in my 20 years on this planet, it is that. If you say that you are smart, then more than likely you really aren't. Now, I realize that someone will be wanting to say something to me on this one, because I did make a comment about my intelligence; however, I also made several stating that there is so much more that I need to learn.

Please do not link me to Socrates on this thought, because he was quite arrogant. So was Seneca. How can you be humble if you keep telling people you are? I make good grades, but that doesn't make me intelligent. I'm in the Honors Program at the college level, but that doesn't make me intelligent. I know that there are more things out there in the world that I need to learn about, and that my friends is what makes me intelligent. It isn't the fact that I know things, it is the will that I have to learn new things.

However, since I am left-handed, apparently that makes me a serial killer? Honestly, I am fascinated by serial killers, especially Jack-the-Ripper. Mainly because he was left-handed, and the lefties just didn't get any respect when I was in school. I was 19 years old before I finally sat down in a left-handed desk (minus that time I took the ACT at a different high school when I was like 16). I wrote letters to the school board in middle and high school asking why we couldn't have left-handed desks. They never replied to me with actual answers, just that the demand wasn't high enough. That is probably the same reason that I didn't do too well in arts and crafts back in kindergarten (sp?...see, not that smart am I?) with those right-handed scissors (Mr. Burns was right...) that I had to use. However, I am great at "marth" too, because I can add numbers good (yes, "good", because "well" is something with water in it, but so is "whale", don't you just love the English language?).

Here is an interesting tidbit about me that hardly anyone knows. As well (okay, so I used "well" instead of "good", so what if I'm a hypocrite, so is everyone else) as I have done in school, I didn't learn to tie my shoes until I was 7-years old...the last person in my grade to do so...

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   
i cant see how we can be serial killers when the weapons we would use are probably right handed so they wouldnt work properly

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Many blades are ambidextrous, such as most examples of the Roman Gladius. I've recently heard that when babies are in the womb they tend to suck on their fingers and if they prefer the right thumb they usually become right handed and vice versa. I wonder why people have hand preference. At least we don't have nuns calling us satanists in schools.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
My husband is left handle and he is is quite normal at least so far.

When my son started to used his hands he leaned into the use of the left so I help him get his use of the right hand better, so he is now right handed.

I got the believe that if you take a child and show him the use of his left hand instead of the right he will become a left handed person and vice versa.

I didn't let my son become left handed and I did not have any problem so far he is 18 so I would have known by now if something was wrong.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Im left handed and a self certified genius at my own thing so yeah your right, and in regards to JRex, Left people thing with the right sides of their brains and vice versa for right handed people

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Lefties are apparently also extremely proud to promote their genius!

Marg, I am curious as to why you felt the need to change you son's handedness? Are you an Ex-nun? LOL

BTW, I am also "side-sinister"

But most lefties become ambidextrous ( means:two right hands)
anyway. It's just easier to function.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I'm left handed. Some tell me I'm a genius and some tell me I'm insane, just because I dig up dead body parts to create the most perfect human being. We'll see if I'm crazy or not.

I don't believe I've killed anyone, but I'm not sure which personality I'm in at the moment so you never can tell.

Oh, there's one of those unanswerable questions, do masturbation techniques change between lefties and righties?

Here's one Universal fact though, left-handers are better lovers.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I had a math teacher that said alot of teachers are lefthanded. Im gonna see which teachers at my skool are left handed and see if thats true. Im righty but I can use my left for a couple other things. I can write but with my handwriting you wouldnt be able to tell the difference

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I myself am a lefty, I'm currently in no advanced courses in college nor was I in any while in Elementary, Middle and High school. I'm just another average Joe.. altho... there was this one thing...

...when I was a wee toddler back in the day (I'm 18, btw
) , my parents never had time to teach me to read. My mom was an at home mom who was taking care of my 2-year younger brother and my cousin whose 6 months older than my brother (his mom was going to college at the time). My dad was at work (same job was now, except we lived far from it at the time.. it's a one and a half hour drive from where we used to live).

ANYWAY, no one had time set aside to help me. AMAZINGLY (according to family), I apparently learned myself to read. They said that one day, I picked up a grocery store flyer and started to sound out the words. Eventually, they think I taught myself. I have no recollection of any of that... and it makes me feel pretty good about myself.

THAT has been the only outstanding event of the learning part of myself. I've always been a strong reader, and even my teachers picked up on it in the younger grades.

I GUESS it's possible that I did so... that's the only amazing thing I know about and that has been done so far in my life as a lefty.

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

apc

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 06:27 PM
link   
which hand is dominant doesnt discern whatsoever which side of the brain is... there's plenty of right brained rightys and left brained lefties. the distinction is mostly just learned but who knows there may be some small genetic factors involved. genetic traits often have multiple manifestations, so the 'serial killer gene' could in all reality also effect which limb is more familiar, as well as how much armpit hair there is or how big the pinkie toenail gets (remember tho that character genes are largely manipulated by the environment, so having the gene never predestines the person towards a specific lifestyle).
Me, I am a righty, was in the gifted classes since the earliest I can remember in school, and can't do crap with my left hand unless I've trained it to perform the task through repitition.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
One being a lefty...

While everyone else is spouting their superior intellect because of being left-handed.
I am none of these things. I want my GD money back...make me a righty like I am supposed to be...

All I got for this useless left hand is bad writting...and a sarcastic, biting sense of warped humor. But this has nothing to do with my hand...but if I switch to my right it's like a new...ooppss nevermind...:bnghd:

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:37 PM
link   
What I'm about to post isn't proven fact, but theory, so don't assume it's all correct.

At the University of Pennsylvania (this info is from some time ago) researchers claimed they could identify distinctly two types of left handed people. There's lefties that mimic the way right-handed people write, and then there's (about 60% of the lefties) the ones that kind of hook their hand around the pencil so that it points towards the bottom of the page when they write.

Anyway, I'm sure you've all heard of contralateral neural control, in which the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body and the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body.

Anyway, in most people, the part of their brain that controls language is usually opposite of that which controls writing.

But with the hook-writing lefties, studies have shown that both writing and language are organized on ONE side of the brain, meaning that one side of the brain is compensating for both sides of the body. This means that hooking lefties neurological organization is different than most other peoples.

This extra load for one side of the brain forces hooking lefties brains to work harder than usual, which usually makes their brain fairly capable of more things (i.e. intelligent), or too weared out (i.e. not so smart). This is one simple explanation, and I have to give credit to Cecil Adams, I mostly paraphrased his article at www.straightdope.com... on the issue. I encourage you to visit there for a delightful array of topics.

-- Zach Jankowski

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join