It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could the people stand knowing the truth

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I have a question for you all and i would really like to know your idea on it...
Q: how do you think the public would react to the goverment telling them there are other life forms out there in the world

A:????
Please leave a comment

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I think the vast majority of the population is open to us not being the only life forms in billions of stars,planets and galaxies.Even science seems to be much more open to the possibility than they were just 20 years ago.The more earth-like planets and solar systems that are discovered,the more open to probability I believe everyone will become.I don't think everyone would freak out and anarchy would spill out into the streets like a lot of doomsdayers suspect.There would be an initial shock,then I think most folks would adapt to it.Just my .02.

[edit on 17-11-2004 by 11thdimension]

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   
The religious community would likely be in turmoil trying to explain their centuries of denials. Their flock would be looking for answers but I doubt seriously many would go nuts at such a revelation. They may go through a long period of spiritual searching, but that's a very good thing. As for the non-religious public, I doubt many would be troubled for long by such a revelation. Then there are those who would try to make a buck on it.

Overall, I doubt seriously it would cause the panic or disruption that we've continually been told that such a revelation would cause. I think most people, except for those who are already unstable, would take it in stride, adapt as we've always done to breakthroughs, and live with it.

In fact, I think the world is in such a mess that most people would welcome news of alien presence on this planet with the dim hope that perhaps THEY can show us how to exist peacefully and treat each other with decency. Hopefully, such alien presence here would be non-hostile and helpful, not bent on destruction.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
The rabbit hole goes very deep people . If ever they would try to tell us the questions would never end . We are not yet ready to know. There is too much involved here. Maby some people know now but they are few and are for the most part not beleived anyway. We are not ready. But truth is known on some level by everyone. moo!

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   
No, the people can't handle the truth. Look at the wars & crap going on now due to culture & religion. People think the universe revolves around them, if they suddenly found out their role was smaller than an ant in the forest they just might pop. It could be very disturbing to our psyche - it might be more comfortable not to know and enjoy your world the way you believe instead of being suddenly tossed into a nightmare that you're unable to deal with.

In a way those who know might be doing you a favor by not telling you, just like you wait till a certain age to tell a child that they were adopted, so it doesn't hurt them so much that they get off track.

When religious people find out that most of what they've been taught is a lie they will attack the system & every institution that brings them this information.

As the world has become smaller many countries are making all kinds of laws trying to preserve their cultures, because they don't want to change.

Information like this would require huge changes and the only way this can be done is over generations, so it wont be so much of a shock to those who are not yet ready.

Those in control of the information have an advantage over the rest & they will reluctantly give up that advantage. Almost like asking a company to give up it's trade secrets to a competitor - it ain't gonna happen.

If the government does have a relationship with them, I'm sure they are advising the government on how to handle this information either by suggestion or even threat.

[edit on 17-11-2004 by outsider]

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I think everyone will take it quite well.

Religious people will interpret it in a way that makes them feel comfortable - God is a UFO, the extremist religious freaks will kill themselves - which is for the benefit of mankind. Then you have the people that go with what is trend , them you have people , like myself and probably most on ATS that will say about bloody time.

its already happening..................

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I think people could easily stand the truth that other life forms exist in the universe...but if the government is going to come out and say Aliens have been visiting here and all this stuff about the governemnt in a deal with them...blah blah blah. I don't think we could handle that real well. I think that alone is why the government can't and won't reveal anything cause the deception is so deep now that the people couldn't handle that kinda truth.

But if its a signal from another planet or something then yeah sure we'd handle that. Again we don't know what the truth is so I guess the government could tell us what they want and we'd have to accept it. But i doubt it would be this whole grand Alien conspiracy disclosure.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
People like us who know their is something more wouldn't be schocked. The people who have lived blindly and are not open to anything other then what the government prints and puts on t.v. wouldn't be able to handle it.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I think it would be a non-issue. Anyone that got the news would be like, "Yeah, OK." Then go back to thinking about how crumby their job was, what am I going to make for supper? Is Jeannie going to be home tonight? Or more importantly, "Will Vanilla Pepsi out sell Vanilla Coke."?

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Folks saying that we couldn't handle it are greatly underestimating the human spirit,resolve,and adaptability IMO.People have been through world wars and genocides,and have seen the worst destruction of our species imaginable,and still they have carried on,adapted and restructured their lives and grown.I believe if we can handle and overcome the monstrosities we inflict upon each other,then we should be able to overcome the idea that we are not alone in this gigantic universe.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   
While opinons vary on how the public will react, the supposed benevolent species of aliens have a pretty good grip on when the time will be just right on earth right for their widespread revelation, and will not reveal themselves until then. Speaking of which you guys have read the Pleaidians message, yes?

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 05:40 PM
link   
What was interesting about your question was you asked "if the Government"
I think it would be very hard for the Government to come out now and admit what they know many people would have there head's so to say. It would have to be put out more from the Ufology group, Seti, NASA, or the Pope.
Most people believe that there is life elsewhere they just don't believe it is here.
If there is ever to be contact it would have to be handled very carefully.

Now if the beings take it upon themselves to show there ships in mass up close and personnel there could/would be PANIC.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I think most people would react well, most of the world religion would not be affected as much as some people think, for instance
In the last few years the vatican/pope said there is a probably life elsewhere in the universe, since christianity, catholicism and jeudaism are all closely related most would react like the others, most eastern religions are open to things like aliens.
Besides it would weed out the weak from the strong.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by DantesBrokenSoul
I have a question for you all and i would really like to know your idea on it...
Q: how do you think the public would react to the goverment telling them there are other life forms out there in the world

A:????
Please leave a comment

Well speaking for me personally I wouldn't be surprised. With an infinite number of galaxies and Billions upon Billions of planets its obvious that life and quite possibly intelligent life developed in many of them.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Just Life?
Or intelligent Life?

A conversation I had with my wife once, right after the "bugs" were found in the martian Meteorite...

"Did you hear about the piece of Mars that possibly contains evidence of microbial life from Mars?"

"I thought they already knew there was life on Mars?"

So much for exciting news eh?

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I think in the Western society about half of the population could cope with the existence of extraterrestrial life, the other half would have serious problems ranging from apprehension, panick and even suicides.The religious camp would be hit the hardest.Ironically enough, I think some third world "simpler" societies would have less problems accepting ETs but they stand a far greater risk at 'worshipping' the aliens and adopting their culture into their own.

Have you ever wondered why for over 50 years people are taking photographs of flying saucers and UFOs? One reason could be that in this way we can gradually get used to the idea of extraterrestrial intelligences.

Regards,
TerraX

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I think Americans would be freaked ~~
And like everything else they would calm down and handle it ~~
But God help the goverment if they knew whole time didnt say anything ~~
Which people know here ~~~Goverment knows and has long time now ~~
But Goverment will never tell anything ~~And thats the truth like it or not oh welllll~~~ Maybe Bush will tell us the truth ~~~ yeah right hahahahaha

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 09:51 AM
link   

It would depend who was in power at the time [in U.S. of course] ..which would dictate how the media influences public emotion.. the headlines would decide; 'Friendly vistors' or 'Invasion force'.
Personally I think it would be wonderful.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I don't know if people could handle "the truth." I'd sure like to find out... Hopefully with all the recent resignations in the CIA ranks someone will spill the beans...

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Telling wouldn't make any difference. Nobody believes the Gummint anyway.

But, having some Other Worlders show up and stay at the Ritz Carlton or stay on-board their ship, or stay with private parties, or stay at a "safe haven situation separate and apart from the US Gummint"--that would say a great deal.

After all, isn't this planet the last and best--STUFFED--Nature Preserve in the Galaxy? Every photo I have ever seen of an Alien--he or she was dead.

That's no testimony to human hospitality.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join