It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nano-Satellite Built By High Schools Students to Launch Tonight.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Nice to have a feel good story. What caught my attention is the Nanosatellite that was built by high school students, that will be the first to orbit the Earth.

I know the Fairfax area schools are some of the best in the nation, but a satellite? I feel ripped off. We had to build those silly paper balloons you heat with a sterno.

The rocket will send 29 satellites into orbit at one time, the most ever in one launch.

Included in the bunch will be an educational nanosatellite constructed by students at Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology in Fairfax County. If successful, it will be the first satellite built by high school students to orbit the earth.

The window for launch is between 7:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m., with backup launch days through the end of November.

wamu

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Teacher Adam Kemp developed a course in systems engineering with the help of the Orbital Sciences Corporation.

This is what you get when someone loves doing their job.

7 years to make this project? I'm impressed as his students were changed along the way.

And now he wants to make a similar project, but in 2 years time top, granted he can bypass bureaucracy! lol That says a lot too...

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Impressive! It would be much more so if they were putting them into orbit themselves though. I could send a Furby into orbit and it would still be classed as a satellite.

new topics

join