It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homemade Noodles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
How to Make Homemade Noodles

This recipe will make enough noodles for five servings.

1. Gather the Ingredients

You'll need:

2 to 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 egg yolks and 1 whole egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon vegetable oil or olive oil
All-purpose flour

2. Mix the Dough

In a large bowl stir together 1-3/4 cups of the flour and the salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture.
In a small bowl combine egg yolks and whole egg, the water, and oil. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture, stirring to combine.

Tip: The dough will be sticky at this point. That's OK; it will become smooth as you knead it.

3. Knead the Dough

Sprinkle a clean kneading surface with the remaining flour. Turn dough out onto floured surface. Knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic (8 to 10 minutes total).

Tip: To knead dough, fold the dough and then push it with the heel of your hand. Turn the dough and repeat folding and pushing until the dough reaches a smooth and elastic consistency.

Cover the dough and let rest for 10 minutes.

Tip: You can make the dough in advance to this point. Transfer the dough to an airtight container; freeze up to 3 months. Thaw completely in the refrigerator, then continue with the next step.

4. Roll the Dough

Divide the dough into four equal portions.
On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 12x9-inch rectangle. (Or pass it through a pasta machine until 1/16 inch thick.)
Dust both sides of the dough portions with additional flour.
Let the dough stand, uncovered, about 20 minutes.

5. Cut the Noodles

Loosely roll the dough into a spiral.
Cut the spiral crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide strips.
Unroll the strips to separate.
Cut the strips into 2- to 3-inch lengths.
At this point you can cook the noodles immediately, or dry and store them (see next steps).

6. To Store Cut Noodles

Spread the noodles on a wire cooling rack.
To store in the refrigerator: Let the noodles dry for 2 hours. Place in an airtight container and chill for up to 3 days.
To freeze: Dry the noodles for at least 1 hour; place them in a freezer bag or freezer container and freeze for up to 8 months.

edit on 17-11-2013 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-11-2013 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

And now I can thank you......thanks, looks like a good recipe. Pasta, some of my favorite meals!

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Your welcome!

Pasta, potatoes and rice are staples! everything else is dressing on those three things!

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Show off!

No, but really, thank you for the tutorial. It makes it so much easier when there are pictures added. And it just goes to show how easy it is to make your own from scratch.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

hahahaha... wasn't showing off! Just tried to make it easier to learn something long distance!

Thank you though! You did make me notice I had the pictures messed up! I fixed the cutting the dough pic now!

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Thank you for sharing this! It looks super easy with the way you laid it out.
The only homemade noodles I've attempted are closer to little dumplings for chicken noodle soup. These just seem to be a bit more refined.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by woodsmom

the key when making homemade noodles is to get them thin enough without them being too thin... when I first started making noodles I was making them too thick - kind of like your dumplings... it just takes a bit of practice usually by the 3rd or 4th time you make them you get the thickness part down pat for regular noodles.

For soups and things I will often add a bit of thyme or basil to my noodles - just a little - and always depending on what kind of dish I am adding the noodles to. That is something you can experiment with later after you have the making of the noodles down pat!

In the end though, making fresh pasta is really easy... just gotta learn it!

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Those noodles look very healthy and very yummy.

I'd love to have a bowlfull swimming around in my tummy.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 05:23 AM
link   

oh thx I never knew how to make pasta.
always buy it but I am definitely going to try and make some from scratch.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
My daughter and I used to make our own homemade egg noodles and homemade spaghetti.
We'd make the dough together and run it through a pasta machine.
(it's not a real machine, it's a handcranked thing that cuts the noodles nicely).

We'd make 'nests' of the spaghetti noodles and keep them for later.

MAN ... homemade spaghetti noodles are SO MUCH BETTER than the ones in the store.

I can't have spaghetti anymore, but those were some fun times with my daughter.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   

I love making pasta!!

Do you ever make flavored pasta? I haven't made it in a while due to not having a food processor but I think "Santa" is bringing me one this year. lol

I loved making spinach fettuccine or basil pesto fettuccine. I also made about a dozen lasagnas a while back that were made with herb flavored noodles.

Here is a recipe I posted a while back on making bow tie pasta. It's time consuming but I love people's reaction when they are eating it and you tell them you made it.
My roommate at the time, his gf came by and was in awe that i was making bow tie pasta. She just kept staring and saying "oh wow." I won't lie it made me feel good. I enjoy cooking but I also enjoy hearing people's reactions to what i have made.

Bow Tie Pasta, how to.

I see you use all purpose flour. Do you ever use semolina or pasta flour? I use the Red Mill Semolina flour. It's a tad expensive but I find it gives the best pasta flavor and isn't as starchy as regular flour.

I will be making some pasta in the next month. My husband comes home from overseas this week and that is one thing he always requests when he is home, that and my homemade alfredo sauce.

Have you ever made gnocchi??

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   

mblahnikluver

I love making pasta!!

Do you ever make flavored pasta? I haven't made it in a while due to not having a food processor but I think "Santa" is bringing me one this year. lol

I loved making spinach fettuccine or basil pesto fettuccine. I also made about a dozen lasagnas a while back that were made with herb flavored noodles.

Here is a recipe I posted a while back on making bow tie pasta. It's time consuming but I love people's reaction when they are eating it and you tell them you made it.
My roommate at the time, his gf came by and was in awe that i was making bow tie pasta. She just kept staring and saying "oh wow." I won't lie it made me feel good. I enjoy cooking but I also enjoy hearing people's reactions to what i have made.

Bow Tie Pasta, how to.

I see you use all purpose flour. Do you ever use semolina or pasta flour? I use the Red Mill Semolina flour. It's a tad expensive but I find it gives the best pasta flavor and isn't as starchy as regular flour.

I will be making some pasta in the next month. My husband comes home from overseas this week and that is one thing he always requests when he is home, that and my homemade alfredo sauce.

Have you ever made gnocchi??

I do the herb flavored pasta but don't get much more ingenutive than that. As far as using semolina yes, I used to prefer it but now that I don't live near the Amish semolina is way too expensive, so now I just use flour. Your right though, the semolina gives it a bit nicer flavor.

No I have not made gnocchi.. do you? Do you have a recipe for it you can share?

Thanks for the bow tie pasta link... I will try that!

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I think our times in the kitchen with our kids are the best! I have the best memories of my daughter when we would be in the kitchen together... she always was a great help and there were definitely some fun times there!

its nice to look back and smile isn't it?

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Yea Semolina is not cheap. I do prefer it when making my lasagna though.

I am making gnocchi in the next week. My husband wants it so I'm researching the best recipe for it. When I make it I'll post a thread on here and a link to that recipe and what I added to it if anything.

I bought gnocchi before and it just isn't the same as homemade.

I will let you know which one works out!

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

cool... I will be waiting to hear your results! I'd Love to see a thread and a new recipe to try!

new topics

top topics

join