It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

preemptive strikes by IRAN ( if it comes to it )

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   
would Iran launch a preemptive strike on US forces in the golf
before the US starts attacking ( if it does )

since that would be their best way of causing the most Casulties to US forces in that area.

they have enough missiles to do the damage?

[edit on 17-11-2004 by bodrul]

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Possible? Yes. Going to happen? No way. I think Iran is smart enough to know that such and action would garantee severe reaction from the US and world for that matter. Heck, enlistment would skyrocket if they killed a few thousand soldiers sitting on ships. Getting international support would be cake after that me thinks.

[edit on 17-11-2004 by skippytjc]

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Remember its not even comfirmed that America will invade Iran, so if Iran attacks American troops first its 100% sure that America will attack.
But i'm sure Iran would put up a much better military fight than Iraq did.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I agree with you UK Wizard. But the method and style of western combat (i.e. air superiority) takes the punch out of ground forces. I think the Iranians would be brutal to fight in urban combat, but up until that point the US would have a severe advantage if not an outright sweep of the Iranian forces.

[edit on 17-11-2004 by skippytjc]

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
I agree with you UK Wizard. But the method and style of western combat (i.e. air superiority) takes the punck out of ground forces. I think the Iranians would be brutal to fight in urban combat, but up until that point the US would have a severe advantage if not an outright sweep of the Iranian forces.

But does America have the ability to invade Iran, can it cope on its own (no help from anywhere else this time). Iran is much more advanced than Iraq was regarding military equipment and technology (a search on google should show).

www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   
But I think air superiority is a forgone conclusion. It may not be as easy as it was with Iraq, but it would happen. Once that happens, the rest gets ALOT easier.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Perhaps they can get away with it if they first make up some bogus intelligence on hostile american intentions and present it to the security council ?

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I believe they would do so in a time were US attention would be diverted away from the Gulf such as the outbreak of War in Korea.

They'll do it eventually because they know America is going after them sooner of later.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I really don't understand why we should attack Iran, or why Iran should pre-emptive strike the US in Iraq.

Iran already tried to restore diplomatic relations with the rest of the world prior to 9-11, furthermore domestically there is social unrest demanding more freedom and lestening the religious constraints. If we attack Iran, this will be much more difficult: just look at the mountainous terrain, which countries borders Iran, and also remember that the Iranian military has not been weakend for more than a decade in comparisson to the Iraqi. Attacking the country will may kill the social movement and may make moderates into extremists.

I am not saying that the US cannot win a war in Iran, but it will take a lot -and I mean a lot- more casualties. Just let the social change of Iran be done from inside, and not by a war.

Here, compare the map of Iran with that of Iraq:

www.worldatlas.com...
www.worldatlas.com...

[edit on 17-11-2004 by Blobber]

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blobber
I really don't understand why we should attack Iran, or why Iran should pre-emptive strike the US in Iraq.

Iran already tried to restore diplomatic relations with the rest of the world prior to 9-11, furthermore domestically there is social unrest demanding more freedom and lestening the religious constraints. If we attack Iran, this will be much more difficult: just look at the mountainous terrain, which countries borders Iran, and also remember that the Iranian military has not been weakend for more than a decade in comparisson to the Iraqi. Attacking the country will may kill the social movement and may make moderates into extremists.

I am not saying that the US cannot win a war in Iran, but it will take a lot -and I mean a lot- more casualties. Just let the social change of Iran be done from inside, and not by a war.

Here, compare the map of Iran with that of Iraq:

www.worldatlas.com...
www.worldatlas.com...

You are absolutely right. Iran is a peaceful and almost democratic nation. It contributes a lot to regional stability, and if the US wants peace in Iraq, it doesnt go without iranian consent. I wonder where all this anti-iranian hate preaching comes from. Iran has never attacked another nation, on the contrary, it's been the victim of a CIA coup and was attacked by the US-ally Iraq.

new topics

top topics

join