It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservatives erase Internet history (UK)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
It's easy to understand why the Tories would want to erase a backlog of speeches covering the 10 years before the election when they formed the coalition.
It's plainly because they lied, constantly and are now facing some very uncomfortable questions about the promises they made not only in their manifesto, but also in speech after speech.

Of course all political parties lie to gain power to one degree or another, but the promises broken have resulted in some downright spiteful policies.

www.computerweekly.com...

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
One thing they cant erase is how the country did when they were in power.

Labour seems to have destroyed the good times, religiously. Yet they keep coming back, so i doubt its going to matter a jot.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Biigs
One thing they cant erase is how the country did when they were in power.

Labour seems to have destroyed the good times, religiously. Yet they keep coming back, so i doubt its going to matter a jot.

The one thing I wouldn't do is call blairs years a Labour government.

The bloke was a tory in all but name.
He appeased some of his true Labour cabinet members by throwing them the odd bone, but that's about it really.

Milliband is a different kettle of fish altogether.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Cameron recently said in a speech that the country should get used to austerity, that the state will get smaller, with less Government spending.

This contradicts what he said when he became Prime Minister. Back then he claimed that he didn't get into politics to make cuts and that it was not some political ideology to shrink the state, but as a consequence of the country's debt.

Now we have less services or services cut to the bone, whilst they continue to borrow money at record levels. Our taxes have not been cut, well with the exception of the high earners that is. They are blatantly lying to us, but when I talk to people, it seems that they just accept this from politicians.

Public apathy has allowed this to happen and until an alternative way of politics is introduced, it will continue to be this way.

Party politics and career politicians have destroyed any real semblance of democracy. Whoever the people vote for the winners will either be Conservative or Labour. Both are under the influence of the Bilderberg group, so don't expect any major changes soon.

It will be down to the people to say enough is enough, but when this will happen is anyone' suggests. As I said the majority are too apathetic, although some people are beginning to see through their ways, even if the Tories haven't delivered their transparent politics.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

What the tories have finally figured out (no doubt via corporations) is that less money for us equals more money for them.

They are well aware of how fiscal multipliers work, but only use them when it's one of their pet projects.
They also know that corporations and big business WANT a relatively high level of unemployment, because this drives wages down, so they cook the books for the public whilst giving the paymasters what they want.

Re-nationalise everything, and embark on a huge building program of housing and infrastructure using long term loans.
Housing crisis solved, employment problem solved, debt problem solved.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Excellent point, totally agree.

Erase history speeches, dont, the majority vote on what they read that week anyway if they even give it that much thought!.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

More and more opinion is turning against the tories, and there has been pretty big upswell of people determined to vote them out of office.

Something that people are starting to realise is that they do actually have some power, which the "grey vote" has known for years, and which is why they are never targetted (apart from the poor ones).

It remains to be seen if Labour will be any better (if they get in) but they couldn't possibly be any worse.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Perhaps if UKIP was added to the mix in the British parliament (fresh blood) and a three party government take office, perhaps that might sort out tptb, from what I have seen of Nigel Farage on youtube, he might do some good.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   

pikestaff
Perhaps if UKIP was added to the mix in the British parliament (fresh blood) and a three party government take office, perhaps that might sort out tptb, from what I have seen of Nigel Farage on youtube, he might do some good.

UKIP's policies are a complete joke.
Completely unworkable.

They throw out some soundbites that appeal to people, but a government with them in would be absolute chaos, and would fail within a year.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   

budski
It remains to be seen if Labour will be any better (if they get in) but they couldn't possibly be any worse.

I think it's more a case of we knew that no-one could be any worse than Labour, it just turned out that the Tories weren't much better ......

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

Actually, the economy was on the up under Labour, and growth was better than 2% in the 2 years after the banks crashed.

Austerity has done nothing more than kill the economy.

Labour understand the concept of fiscal multipliers, and that to grow out of a recession you need to spend.

Contrary to the neo liberal theory of "drip down" economics, money flows UP rather than down, so if the people at the bottom aren't spending, the economy stagnates.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I really with they would put a kind of Turing test on vote ballots

Which colour is Green? [green square] [purple circle] circle the correct one

Which raises a country's standard of living? [steady happy people] [steady happy business] circle the correct one

If you get less foreigen currency for a UK pound sterling, does that mean more or less actual goods for your money? [More] [Less] circle the correct one

Which is better for your children's future? [Flat TV screen now with CBBC channel] [good education and plenty of jobs in the future] circle the correct one

well okay maybe i shouldn't make the questions up, but you get the idea, if you got no idea but you happen to like Mr Bloggs smile then a vote is not for you!

Does that make me a terrible person?

EDIT: sorry OP that drifted away when i started typing, i suppose the point is: ultimately it wont matter because of the 'vote x party regardless crowd'.

edit on 13-11-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

It seems politicians will never learn the simple axiom:

It's not the crime, it's the cover-up...

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Hmm, you're just making stuff up to support an argument and your ideological hatred.

2008, the UK economy shrank by 1%, in 2009 it shrank by 4%.

World Bank

It didn't start to grow again until 2010 and now, in 2013, the BoE is saying the recovery is firmly under way unemployment will go below 7% possibly two years ahead of their previous estimate and by 2014 we will be the fastest growing Western economy...

As for services, surveys carried out indicate that most people have not seen any noticeable drop in the quality since cuts came in and some have even said they've improved.

It's all very well hating on the Government simply because you have some deep seated hatred of the Tories, but the figures coming in prove that "Austerity" (which in all honesty is simply spending within our means and not promising golden handouts to everyone like Labour) has not "all but killed" the country.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
That is uncalled for. If we erased all the lies politicians said it would appear that we did not have any government in the past.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

If we did that perhaps *again*, what might be have already erased than our generations never knew.

Holocaust deniers get jail time. Ignoring history facts and statements is the same. You cant learn from your mistakes if you dont know what they are!

Its like evolutionary suicide.
edit on 13-11-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

It's all very well hating on the Government simply because you have some deep seated hatred of the Tories, but the figures coming in prove that "Austerity" (which in all honesty is simply spending within our means and not promising golden handouts to everyone like Labour) has not "all but killed" the country.

Got to say stu that all depends on your locality - spend some time here in the North East and I honestly think you'll witness a completely different perspective, nearly everyone is struggling in one way or another.
Shops and businesses are closing at a record rate, industry is at a stand still, the only available jobs are more or less all minimum wage regardless of skill and sector - no-one has any money at all, the only areas doing well are those related to house repossessions and food banks which are cropping up at a quite alarming rate.

The Conservatives have given up on the North East, it's an irrelevance to them.

And to be fair you are using government produced figures, the same government that is telling us that inflation is going down despite the plainly obvious fact that utility and food prices are rising at alarming rates. What money is available is being spent on the bare essentials - personally I think that people in the 6th wealthiest nation on earth deserve something better than a subsistence level existence and that's the cold, harsh reality for many outside of London and the Home Counties.

Blaming it all on The Conservatives is both naïve and to a cerain extent ignorant and only helps maintain the merry-go round that all major parties exploit for their own purposes much to the detriment of most British people - Labour have more than played their part. But I've got to say Cameron and his pals are taking things to a whole new level.

I know I'm preaching to the converted a bit here but the whole system is rotten to the core and to steal one of your phrases, we need a full system re-boot.
edit on 13/11/13 by Freeborn because: Spelling, grammar, clarity etc

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Granted, the recovery is patchy at the moment but things will pick up for everyone once it gets under way.

As for the North East specifically, they've had some good opportunities pass their way which small groups of NIMBY's have blocked - such as the massive ship recycling contract by Able UK which ended up being cancelled because of "environmental" concerns, despite there not actually being any. That cost hundreds of jobs and hundreds of millions of pounds for the local economy in the Hartlepool area.

But even within the NE, there are variations. IT is apparently undergoing somewhat of a boom and there are "tech hubs" springing up to develop skills further. Not to mention an expansion of car production by Nissan which has given a boost to the local economy and further still, there are several multi-billion £ regeneration projects, such as River Tyne North Bank scheme.

But yes, we do need a reboot and a wholesale reform of the current system, but at the same time, don't think for one minute the NE has been forgotten.

It does seem that this Government suffers from a chronic lack of self-publicity though and fails to hammer home the good things that are happening, instead allowing their opponents to control the debate and point out "failures".
edit on 13/11/13 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Granted, the recovery is patchy at the moment but things will pick up for everyone once it gets under way.

Patchy is very much an understatement.
I've seen no evidence of any recovery and nothing I've seen or read or been told leads me to suspect that if it is happening that it will spread to the UK hinterlands.
I think it's difficult for many to understand just how hard things are at present, even those fortunate to be in employment are really struggling, countless business buildings stand empty and people's lives are being destroyed - that's not sensationalism it's the reality that many are facing.

Most people in Hartlepool stick by the stance taken against Able UK which doesn't have the best reputation here in the North East - we could both trot out 'experts' who would give conflicting opinions on the potential environmental issues surrounding the 'ghost ships'.
Nissan is one employer - the North East needs a hundred Nissans.

As for re-generation projects - nearly all focussed on shopping centres etc, full of shops that people have no money to spend in.
Walk around my local town centre and you'll notice countless recently emptied premises boarded up - there is however an abundance of charity and pound shops that seem to be quite busy.

Of course there are variations across the region and some sectors are doing relatively ok but as a generalisation I think it's very true to say that the region and it's people are struggling with real and genuine hardship.

But yes, we do need a reboot and a wholesale reform of the current system, but at the same time, don't think for one minute the NE has been forgotten.

The North East hasn't been forgotten, it's simply an irrelevance and a lost cause to The Tories and taken for granted by Labour.
It's a view that is supported by the London / Home Counties centric nature of UK politics, economy and MSM.

It does seem that this Government suffers from a chronic lack of self-publicity though and fails to hammer home the good things that are happening,....

Cameron and his pals are excellent self-publicists. Perhaps their failure to publicise 'the good things that are happening' is because there are very few and those that are are heavily outweighed by the many bad things that are happening.

.....instead allowing their opponents to control the debate and point out "failures".

Their opponents aren't even doing a good job of that, even Kinnock was a more effective Opposition than Milibands lot.
I have my theories and opinions on that but I don't want to drail the thread too much.

At times I deliberately paint a gloomy picture and ignore the positives in order to drive home a point, and if I'm being entirely honest there's probably an element of that in this post. But I don't think I can overstate the the misery, suffering and lack of hope and alienation many are feeling and suffering at present.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Only the victors write history, you'll never hear the "other" story.

We must be the victors, and let the truth be what is written into the history books. Generations in the future must know what has happened, learn about it and understand how to prevent it from repeating ever again.

We won't be able to forgive ourselves for what our kin will experience if we don't.

~Namaste

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join