It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans vote to change the rules to protect Tom DeLay

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   
The "campaign" laws being sited are federal. Money raised from corps can not be used in "federal" campaigns for specific candidates. The law does not cover "state" campaigns. The money trail goes to state campains for new candidates in the new redistricted Texas.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by sandge

It's no secret that DeLay is as crooked as they come. Why doesn't the GOP distance itself from this albatross?

Rove Republicans are the most immoral political powerhouse to ever hold office, at any level in this country's history. ''By any means necessary" is the mantra when it comes to retaining power. That's where DeLay comes in: he craps out golden eggs by being a direct conduit to the Christian Fundies. DeLay would have to be caught raping a nun on the Vatican steps for them to distance themselves....and even then, they'd claim..." When in Rome....."

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   
You mean deLay was running for state office? Or he was in state office?

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
No, Delay was helping some Texas buddies fight the evil ones. Part of the "good ole boy" network.

[edit on 17-11-2004 by DrHoracid]

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Drugs dealers and mafia members still work after they've been prosecuted so DeLay should be allowed to work too.
/sarcasm.

Nah seriously. He's a scumbag that needs to go down but it'll never happen under a Republican majority.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
No, Delay was helping some Texas buddies fight the evil ones. Part of the "good ole boy" network.

[edit on 17-11-2004 by DrHoracid]

And who are the evil one's? The Democrats?

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Enron gave MORE money to Clinton and Gore than any other political carpetbaggers.

Oh, yeah?

source: www.opensecrets.org...

Delay broke no laws.

The evidence suggests otherwise. From the Austin American-Statesman (quoted from the CUTP site as the original article is not online with the Statesman):

[T]he committee's documents, now court records, boast of DeLay's involvement in the organization during the 2002 election and raise questions about his role with the committee and how much he knew about the activities of his three indicted associates, Jim Ellis, John Colyandro and Warren Robold.

Though DeLay has maintained that he did nothing but raise money and serve as chairman of the committee's advisory board, Republican state Rep. Dianne Delisi of Temple, a fellow board member, gave DeLay more credit for his efforts.

In a memo to Dallas businessman Boone Pickens making a pitch for support, Delisi wrote that DeLay "has been an ardent advocate for us by raising money, making phone calls, serving as a special guest at events and providing assistance with leading strategists."

Sounds fairly hands-on to me. Read the article for *many* more examples.

Earle is on a witch hunt....This is simple partisan payback. The Ealre abuse is widely understood in Texas.

Oh, really?
The Austin Chronicle disagrees:

The response of Republican operatives and loyalists to the ongoing lawsuits and investigations surrounding GOP fundraising for the 2002 legislative campaigns has been predictable but nevertheless entertaining, boiling down to a couple of loaded phrases: "Partisan Witchhunt!" and "Media Bias!" The former has been directed primarily at Travis Co. District Attorney Ronnie Earle, who had the gall to respond to allegations and evidence of possible criminal conduct by the Texas Association of Business and the Texans for a Republican Majority by doing his job: investigating the matter.

The Houston Chronicle disagrees:

Until recent years, Democrats controlled the Texas Legislature, held most statewide offices and caused the big scandals. Now the situation is reversed, but some Republicans want their scandals to be exempt from investigation.

During his long tenure, Travis County District Attorney Ronnie Earle has prosecuted many more Democratic officials than Republicans. The record does not support allegations that Earle is prone to partisan witch hunts.

The San Antonio News-Express disagrees:

Enough smoke is emanating from some 2002 campaigns for the Texas House to justify the investigation by Travis County District Attorney Ronnie Earle, which has led to grand jury subpoenas of records from numerous GOP candidates and political committees.

DrHoracid, do you live in Texas? You might be interested in reading this.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   
sandge,

Good post and a great job on gathering all that info, I will give you a vote but I run out of it.

All I can say is I hope he burns and burns to crisp

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   
ugh republicans make me sick. From what I remember, it is against the constitution for congress to create a law based on what is happening right at that instance. I don't remember the exact one, but I think that they are violating nearly every part of the constitution in his second term of Presidency so far.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Unfortunately all the links are to Lib sites. The Enron contribution's site is also incorrect and a lib spin machine is the host site. The FEC site is correct. It takes a little work but I will make a spreadsheet. The data will include all Enron and Enron associated contibutions. From 1992 to 2000 Democrats were the big winners of the slush fund lottery. Ken lay was at the whitehouse with suitcases full of money for Billery.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Unfortunately all the links are to Lib sites. The Enron contribution's site is also incorrect and a lib spin machine is the host site. The FEC site is correct. It takes a little work but I will make a spreadsheet. The data will include all Enron and Enron associated contibutions. From 1992 to 2000 Democrats were the big winners of the slush fund lottery. Ken lay was at the whitehouse with suitcases full of money for Billery.

Opensecrets.org is fed by the FEC site (great post sandge!) and the "fact" that Democrats & Clinton received more than Republicans & Bush in campaign donations from Enron is an urban myth.

Debunked by snopes....
www.snopes.com...

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 06:12 PM
link   

The "campaign" laws being sited are federal. Money raised from corps can not be used in "federal" campaigns for specific candidates. The law does not cover "state" campaigns. The money trail goes to state campains for new candidates in the new redistricted Texas.

That's simply incorrect. These are Texas campaign finance laws in question.

[T]hey failed to pay close attention to bookkeeping and Texas election law. One group did: Texans for Public Justice. The Austin campaign-finance advocacy group began comparing TRMPAC's Texas Ethics Commission filings with its IRS filings. "We found approximately $600,000 in contributions on their IRS filings that weren't filed in Texas," said TPJ director Craig McDonald. "It wasn't reported in Texas. It was off the books." It was also PAC money raised from corporate sources -- in almost all circumstances a violation of Texas campaign finance law.

source:
www.salon.com...

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Two things I have to say about this situation.

1. If the House Republicans want to change their own rules then that�s there own prerogative.

2. It seems several people don�t understand what an indictment actually is. An indictment is only an accusation of wrongdoing not an actual conviction.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackJackal
Two things I have to say about this situation.

1. If the House Republicans want to change their own rules then that�s there own prerogative.

Of course it is; no one is arguing any differently. But this is a leader of the party who has been admonished by the House Ethics Committee FOUR TIMES. Yeah, he rakes in a lot of $$, but how much longer is his party going to risk being painted with the same brush?

Originally posted by BlackJackal
2. It seems several people don�t understand what an indictment actually is. An indictment is only an accusation of wrongdoing not an actual conviction.

And DeLay hasn't even been indicted; he is merely under investigation. What you need to remember, though, is that this is a politician who is very well known for his "pay to play" mentality: if you want his help (or just don't want him to kill legislation favorable to your company), then you'd better break out the checkbook. This is the guy who sent out invitations to a "dinner with Tom DeLay" with the notation "Corporate Checks Accepted." Another great example is the so-called "Bacardi bill."

DeLay is dirty, dirty, dirty, and if there's any justice he's going down. He's a disgrace.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join