It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia To Acquire New 'Exclusive' Nukes, Putin.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 05:48 AM
link   
November 17

Mr Putin said that research was now underway on new nuclear missile varieties and "I am sure that in the near future, weapons will appear ...which are not and will not be possessed by other nuclear powers", ITAR-Tass news agency reported.

No other details were immediately available.

www.news.com.au...

Is Putin trying to up the ante? And if so why. The wording of this statement seems to indicate
to me that Russia has technology that no-one else has.

Sanc'.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 05:54 AM
link   
What are they going to do? Build a bigger bomb? Jeez, this facination that world leaders have with bigger and better WMD is why we are dealing with neuclear threats from terrorist now. Putin needs to get a reality check.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Kid', I couldn't agree more. And i thought Russia was broke finacially.

Sanc'.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Didnt world leaders sign a treaty that said there would be no more WMD researched and produced? Or am I confused on my treaties

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Further link...

"We understand that the moment we turn our attention from such elements of our defences as a nuclear missile shield, then we will be facing new threats," Mr Putin said.

"That is why we will continue to persistently develop our armed forces on the whole, including its nuclear arsenal potential."

www.abc.net.au...

Sanc'.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I was going to post this but I noticed yours first. I completely agree with you both. I thought thier was treaties signed, but I guess since bush backed out of the treaty that didn't allow building a defence shield he kind of set an example for the rest of the world.

It is pretty disgusting that he is using terrorism as his reasoning for building this. I thought terrorism was in small pockets that can almost be fought hand to hand. Since when do you need a 4.4 mt nuke to hit terrorists. I guess it's just another way of making the world safer. *sigh*

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I noticed within the relatively short amount of information contained within the linked above article, that it doesn't mention the US contribution to this "new" Russian weapon of mass destruction and that neither links given on this topic do not mention what type missile. Try this:
Russia developing new nuclear missile

No details were immediately available, but Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov said earlier this month that Russia expected to test-fire a mobile version of its Topol-M ballistic missile this year and that production of the new weapon could be commissioned in 2005.

News reports have also said Russia is believed to be developing a next-generation heavy nuclear missile that could carry up to 10 nuclear warheads weighing a total of 4.4 tons, compared with the Topol-M's 1.32-ton combat payload.

The US contribution part from:
RUSSIAN FEDERATION MISSILES

Russia is deploying a new series of nuclear tipped missiles with warheads designed with the aid of US supercomputers. The new Russian SS-27 missile - an uprated version of the SS-25 TOPOL Mod One - is being moved directly into deployment with an advanced 550 kiloton nuclear warhead made by the Arzamas-16 nuclear design bureau. The SS-27 design has also been exported to China and will be built under license as the DF-41.

seekerof

[edit on 17-11-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 07:40 AM
link   

as mentioned by jmilici
It is pretty disgusting that he is using terrorism as his reasoning for building this. I thought terrorism was in small pockets that can almost be fought hand to hand.

....or with bombers and precision weapons?

seekerof

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by sanctum
And i thought Russia was broke finacially.

Sanc'.

Defined Broke, 500 trillion in debt?

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

Defined Broke, 500 trillion in debt?

No SpittinCobra, its defined when 'a' US state has a larger GNP than Russia.

seekerof

[edit on 17-11-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 07:49 AM
link   
How could I be so blind.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 08:03 AM
link   

November 17

Mr Putin said that research was now underway on new nuclear missile varieties and "I am sure that in the near future, weapons will appear ...which are not and will not be possessed by other nuclear powers", ITAR-Tass news agency reported.

Ah, I know what he is doing...he is describing his farm tractor mounted, multi-purpose corn husker / radioactive manure slinger.

He is right, no other nuclear power does have it or wants it...

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 08:16 AM
link   
```

may i say 'ONE UPSMANSHIP' ?

this announcement by Putin, is in the same time-frame as the

USs' successful launch & flight of its SCRAMJET propelled missle
which went over 6,000 mph...it too is on all the newswires......
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~???~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 08:16 AM
link   
leiphasw, I beg to differ. There is a fair bit of manure being slung within the white house at the moment.

Sanc'.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Great, just what we need. New nuclear missile technology. Now here's a question, if they really do come up with this "new" technology, what are the chances of the terrorists buying one?

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 08:32 AM
link   
So its just another fact that arm race goes on, while US invest huge amount of dollars to missile shield Russia trying to make it useless.
Maybe US launch missile shield II campaign with updated software and equipment after gaining enough intel from this new missile system. Still its sad Russias only edge is rocket forces and weapons of mass destruction.
Why cant they make commercial products like most of us?

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Kid', I couldn't agree more. And i thought Russia was broke finacially.

Sanc'.

Sanc Russia is far from broke. Their economy is enjoying enormous success at the moment. My concern is they have been dumping US dollars and stockpiling gold and euros......this is one set of preparations needed for a possible move against the US. They also seem very close to China nowdays. Going to be very interesting if they are able to get any type of nuclear advantage over the US.

It seems nuclear weapons are back in vogue and there is a good chance we may see them used by either terrorists or rogue nations. Problem is any nuclear tiff between two small countries, say India/Pakistan or Israel/Iran can very quickly turn into a nuclear free for all worldwide if one of the bigboys predicts they have an advantage. We know the US won't be an agressor but if Russia comes out ahead in the models with this new technology who is to say they won't take the opportunity???

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Hi,

Russia was broke until the Chinese allied with them to finance them after the break up of the soviet union. Notice a few recent news stories for which few can connect the dots:

1. The Russians, Chinese and Iranians signed a new pact over natural gas.
The Arabs and Russians have been in bed together since the early 1990s,
forming a fight-by-proxy war in the middle east that we are fighting now.

2. The Iranians started playing nice with the US and conceding nuclear development after the US election. It stunned everyone over there that the people of the US support other countries view as Bush's agressive forign policy objectives. The fact that he has the support of the US means he would be more dangerous to them in his second term. So the Iranians are playing nice until they can shore up their allegiances ever more solidly.
Look for more deals between the Iranians, Chinese, and Russians.

3. North Korea was also shocked at how the American people supported the president and so are playing nice in multilateral talks....for now.

Eventually, the US will be attacked with nukes on the West and East Coast.
There is no other reason to develop new nukes that no one else has. They don't need "new" nukes to take on terrorist cells. The existing stockpiles would be just fine.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I think its natural for the Russians to upgrade their nuke arsenal, if the americans pursue the NMD actively.If my information is correct the NMD when completely operable, will be able to neutralise maybe at a max, 5 to 10 simultaeneously fired ballistic missiles. Maybe the Russians are researching a method to upgrade the MIRV capability, so that it can overwhelm the NMD anyhow.

Or it could a purposely publicised statement to throw the concerned parties in the opposite direction. Maybe the russians are pursuing an NMD of their own.

Or maybe it could be just a plain and simple Bluff!!

But what I don't understand is how in blazes could they be sharing nuke missile tech with the chinese??!!

The chinese have had more luck obtaining nuke tech from the US (although by nefarious means!!
) than the russians!!

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 11:37 PM
link   
From what I can tell from reading on a russian site (I will have to find a link), some of the new nuke technology is not simply how many nukes a rocket can carry (this is old technology) but the actual technology of the delivery mechanism.

Russia has and is still designing nuclear rockets that can change course, altitude etc to dodge these nuclear shields of the USA.

What really depresses me is that soon, I believe we will see a nuclear war. Man is not responsible enough to wield that much power. I think I will have to find a little cave to hide in soon. How much longer before we see a terrorist nuke go off?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join