It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet ISON heats up, grows new tail

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

When will this comet be visible to us on earth.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

WOW, indeed you`r right. A star for posting this amazing and beautiful picture

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Senduko

Great thread cant wait to see what happens with this comet, or UFO lol.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   

wlasikiewicz

It already is if you own a telescope or some decent binoculars. I have watched it for the last week with both my scope and binoculars. However, the possibility of seeing it with the human eye remains to be seen until if and when it survives it's orbit around the Sun. ~$heopleNation

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Amagnon

I love the electric universe theory Amagnon. Just saying my friend. ~$heopleNation

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

I just made a general observation, it wasn't directed to you
you are right, I don't want innocents people suffering from such cosmic event either.
But it will eventualy happen some time in the future.
As it happened before,
Nature pushes the ''reset button''.
And although we might not be here, I hope the next repopullated societies will choose a different and better path than ours.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
This is our chance to show ET we exist!

We are running low on time.

I've designed entanglement arrays for this, they may not work.

We should act as soon as possible.

Comet C/2012 S1 ISON
Asteroid P/2013 P5

Are mis-aligned. They need to collide.

Let's discuss how to make it happen...

Ideas?

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
i live in central US, i've gotten up two mornings this week to try and find ISON with my telescope and so far i haven't been able to find it, can anyone help me out?

i am new to telescopes, only had it about 3 months now, its an orion XT8 with a 25mm eyepiece, so i am still learning, but i've used about 3 different apps on my phone and i still wasn't able to find it.

with the above telescope should i be expecting to see it as an obvious comet? or would it still just look like a spec of light like the stars do?

my only other thought is i need to go out in the country, light pollution isn't bad around me but maybe i just need to get darker since its on the horizon.

on a positive note i saw jupiter for the first time this morning
could see 2 of its stripes and 5 of its moons, also saw a nebula in the orion constellation and a random galaxy that i stumbled upon trying to find ISON.

thanks!

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by blackangel13

ISON can be found in the East before sunrise (around 5 am). Here's the ISON tracker for you:

General location: theskylive.com...

More precise location (live): theskylive.com... (you can enter upcoming dates to see where the comet will be in the future)

As you can see, ISON is currently skirting the bottom of Virgo constellation. On Nov 18, it will pass very close to the brightest star in Virgo (α Vir), making it easy to find.

If you find it difficult to locate it in your telescope, use binoculars instead (every self-respecting stargazer should own a pair). Binoculars give a wider field of view and allow star-hopping to locate objects of interest.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   

wlasikiewicz

Today

Latest reports suggests it's now up to around mag +5 which makes it just about naked eye visible in ideal conditions - though most folk would still need binoculars.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

thanks, i must need to go to a different location then with a better view of the horizon/less light pollution because as far as i could tell i was looking in the right area, just couldn't find its exact location. when i do find it i should be able to see its tail and recognize it as a comet though correct?

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

LightAssassin
reply to post by randyvs

From all the Comets I've followed I've learned that in order for it to change trajectory it would need to impact with something.

If it broke apart it would still continue on its project path...albeit in smaller pieces.

Given the amount of stars your post is getting maybe with enough wishful thinking everyones thoughts could influence the comet to change trajectory and kill hundreds of thousands of innocent people, children and babies feeling that lovely sensation of breathing water before slipping away into the depths of the unknown....all because most people are too gutless to enact change themselves instead wanting a giant reset button.

Sorry Randy....but that type of wish/hope is a complete waste of energy.
edit on 10-11-2013 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

No, as it comes apart pieces will bounce off each other and could veer off in many directions. As example grandson has little toys, men, monsters, that form into a ball. Remove the pins that holds it together, form it back into a ball and throw it. Pieces fly off in many different directions and do so interacting with each other.

I know this cus he loves doing this lol. If this does come apart it could be bad for us.

Along these lines, watch today's video from bpearthwatch, he has some interesting theories and facts. Can be found on his site or youtube channel. Let me know what you think, deserves it's own thread I think but I don't really know how to do that, maybe someone start one for me if they think it worthy enuf. Lol

The Bot

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   

dlbott

LightAssassin
reply to post by randyvs

From all the Comets I've followed I've learned that in order for it to change trajectory it would need to impact with something.

If it broke apart it would still continue on its project path...albeit in smaller pieces.

Given the amount of stars your post is getting maybe with enough wishful thinking everyones thoughts could influence the comet to change trajectory and kill hundreds of thousands of innocent people, children and babies feeling that lovely sensation of breathing water before slipping away into the depths of the unknown....all because most people are too gutless to enact change themselves instead wanting a giant reset button.

Sorry Randy....but that type of wish/hope is a complete waste of energy.
edit on 10-11-2013 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

No, as it comes apart pieces will bounce off each other and could veer off in many directions. As example grandson has little toys, men, monsters, that form into a ball. Remove the pins that holds it together, form it back into a ball and throw it. Pieces fly off in many different directions and do so interacting with each other.

I know this cus he loves doing this lol. If this does come apart it could be bad for us.

Along these lines, watch today's video from bpearthwatch, he has some interesting theories and facts. Can be found on his site or youtube channel. Let me know what you think, deserves it's own thread I think but I don't really know how to do that, maybe someone start one for me if they think it worthy enuf. Lol

The Bot

Sorry Bot, but LightAssassin was correct. If the comet breaks up, it isn't because it got thrown and impacted into the cosmic equivalent of the floor. The parts separate and continue on the same path. This has been observed multiple times and has scientific reasoning to back up the observed phenomenon. Its been awhile since I read up on it, but I believe existing in a vacuum, as well as the cause/method of breakup would be the primary reasons our behaves differently than an object in atmosphere which breaks up due to impact and differential inertial directions asked to the pieces.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Comet ISON has apparently had a very busy week and is now visible to the naked eye. According to the report below it went from a magnitude +8.5 on Monday to 5.4 by Thursday morning. A 16x increase in brightness in ~72 hours. Hopefully this trend continues and it lives up to its expectations for "Comet of the century."

Now if the weather in Portland would cooperate so I could actually see it

ISON outburst

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Korvani

Unfortunately that points more to it's breaking up as it approaches the sun... anyone hoping to see this comet, should try getting up before dawn and looking to the east below the big dipper and to the right of Virgo... this week.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by dogstar23

The pieces do drift apart slowly (due to the forces that dislodged them), but given huge distances in the Solar System, there's no risk of them impacting Earth. Rather, photos taken weeks or months after the break up might show the debris in the general vicinity of the comet's path. The dust expelled by a comet can linger around and if the Earth's orbit intersects it, we get a meteor shower.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Here is another new photo of ISON, highlighting the change in the tail, by Iko Margalef.

I found the fb link to this image on the Sungrazing Comets twitter feed. It also has links to the newest light-curve modeling.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join