It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Killology

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   

TKDRL
reply to post by crazyewok

The only place you find those attitudes about guns is within street gangs. Those of us brought up around guns are taught to respect the tool. Same way we are taught not to put our fingers near the blade of a skill saw, or the blades on the mower, we are taught not to point our gun at anything we aren't planning on shooting. If you aren't aiming, the barrel is pointed at the ground. Treat every gun as if it is locked and loaded until you personally check that it isn't. The same as every dangerous tool out there, there are proper safety protocols to be followed, if they aren't someone could be hurt or killed.

But that exactly the problem.

Most the worst gun violence occurs in the cities and that were alot of mass shooter hail from either the citys or suburbia.

So that were the attituds needs to change.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

It's only really part of the problem of those poor areas. Most people living in those areas get a real crap education. The only way they are going to get a change of scenery is if they get a sports scholarship or a rap deal, or go to prison. Good people are quite literally prisoners in their own homes, when they do leave their houses they are likely to be victimized by street hoods. There is a lot that needs to changed before any improvement will ever be made. No one really gave a crap before, but now the whole mentality is leaking into suburbia, now it's a huge problem that needs to be addressed all of a sudden. Only because it is now spreading and affecting other areas, not that they really give a crap about the poor people.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   

TKDRL
Holding and firing a gun in real life, is absolutely nothing like holding and firing one in a game(aside from some that I have seen in arcades, where you are actually holding a gun replica). PC games, you have one hand on the keyboard, one hand on the mouse. Nothing like handling a gun. In consoles it's a controller, using a thumbpad to aim. Nothing like holding, aiming, and shooting a gun. Playing COD isn't gonna make you a marksman in real life.
edit on Sun, 10 Nov 2013 16:14:01 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

No it is a 'simulation'. It doesn't give you real experience however it does give you confidence to take what you've learned into the real world. Young minds (biologically speaking) don't react any different to made up and real worlds; both produce the same effect on the mind.

Again I quote Lt. Col. Grossman:

Something very similar is happening to our children through violence in the media. It begins at the age of 18 months, when a child can begin to understand and mimic what is on television. But up until they're six or seven years old they are developmentally, psychologically, physically unable to discern the difference between fantasy and reality. Thus, when a young child sees somebody on TV being shot, stabbed, raped, brutalized, degraded, or murdered, to them it is real, and some of them embrace violence and accept it as a normal and essential survival skill in a brutal new world. (Grossman & DeGaetano, 1999).

On June 10th, 1992, the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) published a definitive study on the impact of TV violence. In nations, regions, or cities where television appears there is an immediate explosion of violence on the playground, and within 15 years there is a doubling of the murder rate. Why 15 years? That's how long it takes for a brutalized toddler to reach the “prime crime” years. That's how long it takes before you begin to reap what you sow when you traumatize and desensitize children. (Centerwall, 1992).

www.killology.com...

As sports pychology tells us, practicing (especially mental run-throughs) are important, even vital, to physical training.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   

crazyewok
This is intresting......

Something is causeing mass shootings in the USA.

But we get the same games and TV in the EU (or UK at least) yet we dont get many mass shooting.

And it cant be the guns as Swilterland and Czesloakia have less gun laws than the USA and they dont get mass shootings......

So........ there has to be another variable.
edit on 10-11-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

Agreed, there are cultural factors as well.

I think gun laws do play a part but more then that I believe consistant engagement with adults (as in having an at-home parent) is key. Successful (not defined by net worth success) role models at home, school, sports, etc. are vital to raising healthy and happy adults.

All too many children even with at-home parenting are plugged into media for 'handling' in the USA.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by FyreByrd

It's not even close to simulation... Pushing the x button to reload is nothing like taking a spent mag out and putting a full one in. Pushing the y button to shoot is nothung like pulling a trigger. Aiming with a dot on the screen is nothing like sighting in a target with a real gun.

Videogames are nothing like flight simulators. Flight simulators have all the controls and gauges a real plane does, and they all respond accordingly.

And the sport psychology thing, you have to physically know how to perform properly what you are mentally rehearsing for it to be effective. It's not like I can sit here and visualize myself swinging a golf club and make myself better, because I don't know the proper way to swing a golf club in the first place.
edit on Sun, 10 Nov 2013 19:10:08 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   

crazyewok

And it cant be the guns as Swilterland and Czesloakia have less gun laws than the USA and they dont get mass shootings......

Swiss and Czech do not have softer gun laws. That is a myth.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   

TKDRL

It's not even close to simulation... Pushing the x button to reload is nothing like taking a spent mag out and putting a full one in. Pushing the y button to shoot is nothung like pulling a trigger. Aiming with a dot on the screen is nothing like sighting in a target with a real gun.

Videogames are nothing like flight simulators. Flight simulators have all the controls and gauges a real plane does, and they all respond accordingly.

And the sport psychology thing, you have to physically know how to perform properly what you are mentally rehearsing for it to be effective. It's not like I can sit here and visualize myself swinging a golf club and make myself better, because I don't know the proper way to swing a golf club in the first place.
edit on Sun, 10 Nov 2013 19:10:08 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

You are right, the physical skill in the article's example must be considered luck.

However, the will to perform such an act can be linked to violent media.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Interesting tidbit about Dave Grossman. He served as an expert witness for the prosecution team in United States vs. Timothy McVeigh.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   

TKDRL

Interesting tidbit about Dave Grossman. He served as an expert witness for the prosecution team in United States vs. Timothy McVeigh.

He's worth listening to.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join