It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity : The Down after the Shutdown ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   
For several days, the MSL/NASA website is blocked (frozen) on the Sol 443 at 99.263 images. Is the rover down ?
Here is some published text on NASA/MSL website :

"NASA's Mars rover Curiosity experienced an unexpected software reboot (also known as a warm reset) yesterday (11/7/13) during a communications pass as it was sending engineering and science data to the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, for later downlinking to Earth. This computer reset occurred about four-and-half hours after new flight software had been temporarily loaded into the rover's memory. At the time the event occurred, Curiosity was in the middle of a scheduled, week-long flight software update and checkout activity."

(...)

"A warm reset is executed by flight software when it identifies a problem with one of its operations. The reset restarts the flight software into its initial state. Since the reset, the rover has been performing operations and communications as expected. The team is currently working toward understanding the cause of the reset and returning the rover to normal operations. This is the first time that Curiosity has executed a fault-related warm reset during its 16-plus months of Mars surface operations."

Can somebody explain (for readers like me not specialized in computering) in clear words what is the matter (problem) ? It seems to be another (but different) computer problem. Could it be important ?

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by florentb

They had a problem, yest, but even regardless of that problem, it was the period for updating the software and making future plans, so no scientific observations (including taking pictures) were planned at all: astrogeology.usgs.gov...

Update On Curiosity From USGS Scientist Ken Herkenhoff: Flight Software Upgrades 7
November 2013

There are no science observations planned this week while the rover flight software is upgraded. This upgrade was planned well in advance, and if all goes well science and drive planning will resume on Monday.

You can get news on what's happening with Curiosity at the Unmanned Spaceflight forum.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   

This computer reset occurred about four-and-half hours after new flight software had been temporarily loaded into the rover's memory.

It sounds like there may have been some data corruption after a software update and the rover did a system restore to its previous state , I don't think it's a problem as they go on to say .....

Since the reset, the rover has been performing operations and communications as expected.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

Hi,
Thanks for the link.
I found this on a US local news site (TN) : "NASA’s Mars rover Curiosity experienced an unexpected software reboot (also known as a warm reset) yesterday (November 7th, 2013)".

"An unexpected".

Regards.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Because there was a bug in the software when they updated it. They weren't planning to do anything while they updated the software, and when the software was updated, there was a problem with it.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Sol 443 - Sol 453

9 more days without Curiosity.

And what about the number 444 ?

Regards.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
May be it has fell in a sinkhole. The latest navcam images may give us a clue?

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by symptomoftheuniverse

Here is the latest Navcam

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

Watch the rocks on the left, you may find something for you (there is a clear and brilliant something and forms around the rocks)

Regards.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   

florentb

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

Watch the rocks on the left, you may find something for you (there is a clear and brilliant something and forms around the rocks)

Regards.

What is that "box" on the far right ???????????

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by drneville

please tell me that is the rover. But i dont think it is. What is it?

Why do my posts go above the line above?
edit on 15-11-2013 by symptomoftheuniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

florentb

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

Regards.
i think this is the one flo,the box,the triangles and more. Thankyou

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

wildespace

They had a problem, yest, but even regardless of that problem, it was the period for updating the software and making future plans, so no scientific observations (including taking pictures) were planned at all: astrogeology.usgs.gov...

Update On Curiosity From USGS Scientist Ken Herkenhoff: Flight Software Upgrades 7
November 2013

There are no science observations planned this week while the rover flight software is upgraded. This upgrade was planned well in advance, and if all goes well science and drive planning will resume on Monday.

You can get news on what's happening with Curiosity at the Unmanned Spaceflight forum.
have you seen the box? Same goes for zaphod.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

drneville

florentb

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

Regards.

And a little above the box to the left of the round rock: semi cylindrical shape that appears to have been cleanly cleaved by something sliding across it (perhaps that smaller rock at the end of the "cleared" space). And the base of that cylinder does not look natural either.

Lots going on in this pic....circles, triangles, boxes, half-cylinders,....lions & tigers & bears, oh my!

Nice find Florentb!

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
it looks like Curiosity is back up and running normally now
sols 453 and 454 have been added
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   

drneville

florentb

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

Regards.

Image from the right Navcam shows more of the "box". Doesn't quite look like a box, but it does look very unnatural.... Link to direct image is below pic

Right Navcam Image

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Euh..I post the image for far left rocks, looking as in the other thread, not for the far right, but yes it's a discovery !
edit on 15 11 2013 by florentb because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   

It could be the sand...

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Probably the sand....
I feel sorry for the people employed to examine mars images. So many terrains in so many different epochs,much more interesting than the moon.
Thanks riffraff

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 06:06 AM
link   

As Curiosity is rovering again, for my part i will not follow this thread now, please go to this link :

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm afraid it will be the only link i follow now, but i still stand on this link for a while.

Best Regards

(www.abovetopsecret.com...)

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Just for fun...there is a circular imprint with a dot in the center of it on rock bed upper right part of it.

He-he...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join